Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not April yet but the March thread gets closed for being confusing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Could they be deliberately trying to look bad in the hopes of giving Labour an election edge so they're left holding the economic slowdown/crash hot potato? Too much credit? I keep thinking this is plausible but I am constantly surprised by the dumb choices of others.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Also surprising probably no one, a bake sale at UQ to highlight wage differences between men and women by indexing cupcake prices to gender ended up with threats of rape and violence.

The comments on that article (assuming you're referencing this)sure are something.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Chick holding the book on the right knows what's up

^ yeah exactly

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Except the kid with the sandwich, who looks like he just wandered over to find out what everyone else was doing

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If PissCat said "make them poors get sterilised it can be reversed if they get a job" would you also interpret it as a genuine attempt at rational debate

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh antivax now well that's the calibre I expect really

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Kidnap Trump's weave.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The Fairfax article raises the point on whether that type of sexually transmitted debt is even reasonable and it will just lead to people lying about their defacto status. It's the enforcement costs outweighing the gains thing again.

Not to mention the human loving decency of recognizing that if a person has an education and still can't earn above the meagre threshold it says more about the employment market than it says about debt avoidance but lol decency

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Being unable to access to your home, possessions (whether that's clothing, work tools, car), being unable or unwilling to send your children to school in case the perpetrator tries to take them, being just loving generally stressed as hell. Also this leave is likely to be taken by women seeking to leave their partner who would by definition be at the point of reporting it. As I understand it there are some shelters that don't let you go to work because if you're in that situation you shouldn't be going to work where the aggressor can find and confront you.

Edit: you shouldn't need to use up AL in those situations and it's not necessarily sick leave, which may also already be used up in violent relationships. And taking unpaid leave is just loving great as you are trying to distance yourself from someone who likely held the purse strings to keep you there.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 10, 2016

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
And to cut off any claim of companies being magnanimous enough to give people paid leave over allowance anyway because of their special and heartbreaking circumstances I'll laugh in your face at the ideas of corporate conscience and tell you about the woman I worked with who had breast cancer who was working throughout her treatment because she had no leave left and needed the money and the utter shitiness of the company wouldn't help her, so the staff raised money for her instead.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
A good graph that should be more prominent in the HECS debate (Click for article)

edit: ignore my cursor hovering over that 2006 value, that's not intentional highlighting.

eta: And that's also hindered by needing to have a job in order to have a salary to be calculated.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Tony "Helllooooooo Nurse" Abbutt

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Website is getting flooded like our capital cities.

I just want to know if I can look forward to beach front property or a water feature in the basement.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Finally a party to truly protect the needs of our most vulner

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Pre-emptive call to check your enrollment to avoid getting stuck with the wrong details at close of rolls (if they call it this week)

https://oevf.aec.gov.au/

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's all about the sub par babies. If your kids have downs well that's just your fault ladies for not taking a jab to the taint. No better than those treasonous wenches who refused to give the king a son.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There was an article that punched some great holes in this, I think it was this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/27/welfare-groups-say-job-seekers-are-being-demonised-in-budget-lead-up

quote:

Leading welfare groups have attacked the Turnbull government and sections of the media for a spate of stories “unfairly misrepresenting” unemployment benefits data to “vilify” and “demonise” the 800,000 Australians who cannot find a job.

Young Australians gloomy about job prospects and most are averse to risk
Read more
The welfare leaders pointed to the Daily Telegraph’s Tuesday story headlined “Booze drugs dole rort ... dole grubs shirking work”, and other recent stories including one titled “A quarter of dole recipients shirking appointments and jobs”, both “exclusives” based on government data.

“We are very concerned that the government and parts of the media have been pushing story after story unfairly misrepresenting data and vilifying the unemployed as undeserving dole bludgers ahead of next week’s budget. It has all the signs of a softening-up campaign, demonising people who can’t get a job to pave the way for further ‘crackdowns’,” said the chief executive of the Australian Council of Social Service, Cassandra Goldie.

“This isn’t the way to achieve good public policy. It does immediate and real harm to the hundreds of thousands of people who are already living the reality of not being able to get a job and who are being demonised. I urge the prime minister and his ministers to think about the human impact of these stories.”

Tuesday’s story was based on figures from the Department of Human Services showing that at the point of time when the study was done 70,000 people it described as “dole bludgers” – about 8% of all Newstart recipients – had received a doctor’s certificate to show they were too sick to undertake the normally required job search activities.

“Tens of thousands of bludgers are using a medical scam – claiming “illnesses” including drug and alcohol abuse – to get the dole without having to find a job,” the story said.

Goldie, and the chief executive of Jobs Australia, David Thompson, said the level of medical exemptions would have risen after major changes to eligibility for the disability pension – forcing many people with a “partial” capacity to work onto the lower unemployment benefit.

“By definition those people will have periods when they are unwell and unable to work,” Goldie said.

A spokesman for the social services minister, Christian Porter, said the minister was not concerned about the overall level of medical exemptions at any one time, around 8% nationally, but the fact that in some regions the numbers were far higher than the average – for example 55.8% in the NSW central coast or 30% in Sydney’s inner west.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
“The government is not demonising jobseekers, it is cracking down on people who are doing the wrong thing,” the spokesman said.

“The government fully accepts that people will have medical issues that mean they cannot look for work for a period of time. The government’s concern is not that some people are too sick to look for work, but that there are specific locations where more than half the welfare recipients in that region are not looking for work because they have a doctor’s certificate. Moreover, in one location the rate is more than eight times the national average – raising serious questions about what is happening in that location. This is of significant concern.”

Goldie said she agreed governments should “track down and stop” people doing the wrong thing, and the welfare sector would be happy to help solve such problems, but the data was being presented in a way that vilified all unemployed people and all 70,000 who had received a medical exemption at the time of the survey.

She pointed to the Telegraph’s editorial, based on the 70,000 figure, which was headlined “Bludgers have had a free run for too long” and began: “If only these people put as much work into looking for honest work as they put into finding ways to rort the system.”

Thompson said the second story: “A quarter of dole recipients shirking appointments and jobs” was also “unfair”, saying it was appalling that anyone unemployed was characterised as a “shirker” or a “bludger”.

That story reported data released by the Department of Employment that “revealed that in just three months — between 1 July and 30 September 2015 — an alarming 276,000 job seekers had their welfare payments suspended”.

Gerard Thomas, policy and media officer with the Welfare Rights Centre, said the period in question coincided with major changes to the job seeker rules, during which around 350,000 job seekers were shifted to different employment service providers, causing inevitable confusion about where they had to go for their first appointment with a new provider. Missing an appointment leads to an automatic suspension, but almost all the jobseekers in question had their payments reinstated with full back-pay, suggesting they had a “good reason” for not attending an appointment.

The same figures show 7,192 jobseekers had received a more serious penalty for failing to attend and interview, and only 209 had been penalised for refusing a suitable job.

“The facts are there are far fewer jobs than there are people chasing them. The vast majority of jobseekers just want to find work and these stories humiliate them,” Thompson said.

Outgoing ABC chief Mark Scott takes parting shot at Murdoch empire
Read more
“Of course governments have to make sure people don’t do the wrong thing, but these stories vilify all jobseekers because of the mistakes of a small minority.”

The welfare leaders are also concerned at reports citing predictions that Australia’s “welfare bill” will rise to $190bn by 2020, with the implication that the total amount, and the increase, is due to unemployment benefits.

In fact unemployment benefits represent around 7% of that “welfare” figure and are falling as a percentage of gross domestic product, whereas pension payments represent 40% and are rising, and family and childcare payments represent 25%.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
That or this (from the article I posted above):
Goldie, and the chief executive of Jobs Australia, David Thompson, said the level of medical exemptions would have risen after major changes to eligibility for the disability pension – forcing many people with a “partial” capacity to work onto the lower unemployment benefit.

They created the monster to terrorise the village.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

katlington posted:

What sort of pressure can be applied by the government to GPs in the problem post codes to justify or correct their high average? Are they subject to reviews, or whatever, or is it entirely at their discretion?

I know it's hard to imagine that socioeconomic factors might impact where you live but bear with me here ...

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Aside from the general loving injustice of it, is setting a cap on negatives gearing losses per tax year instead of grandfather fygm a good compromise or am I missing something? Even the "mom and pop" investors facade would hold up if say there was an accepted loss per family per tax year. It could still practically nullify tax obligations for a retired couple if you set it reasonably high so they aren't killing retirees or stifling investment but still restricting the top end significantly.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think it's a panic announcement to trick people who aren't paying attention into thinking he had anything at all to with Melbourne Metro (I mean, other than trying to tank it). Same Mal who goes to the Mardi Gras to get selfies without actually doing anything for gay marriage except pushing his agency to create change further and further away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not even, it'll be the same theory as the proposed Innovation Fund they were going to funnel medicare into - the money will sit there until someone forgets about it to be trussed up as Budget Savings, or failing that they'll trickle it out to private company mates.

• Locked thread