Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Josh Lyman posted:

Should I get a PS4 or wait for the PS4K or just keep playing PC games thanks I'll hang up and listen.
wait for the 4k then get someone else's regular that they sold to gamestop for a buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

cram me sideways posted:

man gamestop wouldn't sell you the gum off the bottom of they shoe for a drat buck

I mean gamestop bought it for a buck

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

i bought fortune street today, to play with my friends
Really wish there would be more clones of that game available, there are in other languages but the US just gets skipped

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

Where do you guys go to learn about cool new games?
I watch Twitch a lot and if anything new comes out someone I know will stream it and I can tell if it is obviously hot garbage or deceptively hot garbage

I don't give a poo poo about spoilers though or that could be a problem

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

corn in the bible posted:

hdmi, friend

though also a cool person sent me his dazzle so sd footage will also be improved in future!
You explained the situation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Also don't play Peace Walker before Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain because PP will likely just piss you off. I recommend playing those two as far apart from each other as possible so you forget

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nasgate posted:

1. It gives you so many options and tools that you'd have to be extremely dumb to have problems.
On the other hand you don't start with hardly any of them, and even when you get them the game goes like "no lol here's a straight damage battle, hope you did enough grinding to have the necessary DPS or you're gonna replay this forever"

And then when you "beat" the game you still have a shitton more grinding to do, so most people just won't even get the really cool poo poo

buuuuut people wanted more Peace Walker so that's what you get

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you not have supply lined up when you've had preorders literally for years?
I guess even Facebook money doesn't get you much more competence than the OUYA

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Sports games that don't have kunio-kun or fire power-ups in them are not real games.
:agreed:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm going to buy a crazy JRPG today. My choices are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy or Eternal Sonata, both for the PS3, both for the same price.

Which do I choose?
From what I have heard Eternal Sonata is unwashed rear end so get Lightning Returns. That said I have both and played neither so if it was the wrong choice I'm sorry

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Enter The Gungeon looks cool and it has like hundreds of unique guns and powerups. It's also balls hard and I will probably not buy it because I can't play those games for poo poo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wow, looks like I lucked out not reading chat thread yesterday

katamari forever is nice but i think me and my katamari is better
Good to know, I enjoyed Katamari Forever but I could use more stuff for my PSTV anyway. I'll look out for it on sale. I loved both PS2 games but I didn't like the Xbox 360 one much.

Also I think matcha makes a good hard candy flavor but is just kind of off tasting in other poo poo like Kitkats

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

here, this is a level in me&mykatamari. it's nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtU_iZp2WKo

you did it, you found someone even worse at Katamari than me...

oh that's you isn't it :ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I am so incredibly bad at Katamari but who cares it is fun

roll roll roll
That was the thing I hated most about the later ones, they made the minimum requirements so high you couldn't afford to be bad at all, and if you were merely competent you got shat on. While the first one if you had an awesome run you felt awesome

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The other thing I like about the psp Katamari is it has the original game's thing of the levels being set in this common setting that you see more of as you grow larger and have larger requirements. Later ones tend to have lots of bespoke levels and I don't like that as much. But maybe other people do!

Also the Prince makes a bunch of animal friends and that's cute
Yeah, it was awesome to work up from the room to the yard to rolling up the house and eventually that whole drat town, but being able to recognize features of it again at each size

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

This thread is brave, in my experience when a thread gets lots of anime that's when it gets gassed :ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Golden Goat posted:

Oh, turns out I get a copy of The Division with the graphics card I ordered...

I really don't know if i'll play it at all.

E:Gross it wants me to sign up with UPlay
I'd say you should play it anyway, but odds are you can sell it. If you don't like hiding behind boxes and shooting mans for loots then that may be a better idea

I hear Uplay isn't as much of a nightmare anymore but as with any PC software thing you could be the unlucky one who it destroys

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

theultimo posted:

Metroid Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Still would have been better than THE BABY

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tenzarin posted:

Super Metroid was also released recently on the wiiu.

The only way there will be a new good Metroid is if someone splits off and does it Mighty No. 9 style

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

No they want it to be good
i didn't mean done by that team you goober

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

theultimo posted:

Axiom verge
Isn't that a game made by just some fan, though?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

fun fact: enter the gungeon is a blatant attempt by noted fuckers devolver digital to take over the nuclear throne phenomenon -- they even hired the same musician and everything
you're basically correct, except it was all the dev's choices cause he really liked Devolver and NT (and well, his original publisher fell apart)

FWIW though it doesn't feel like a cheap imitation though, they crammed about everything they could think of in there and still had a few more things they wished they could do

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 9, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: Here's a good criticism: It relies on luck a little too much, and not getting enough keys can really hamper your ability to beat the first few levels.
Something that has also been said about Isaac. If you enjoy a bit of gambling in your gameplay, you may enjoy these games more. If you're consistent, skill-focused, and hate games that aren't, then yeah, possibly not the game for you.

Or you could be extra motivated and enjoy trying to beat the bad deals when you get them. I've not got that kind of guts but I've seen people who do.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I don't remember much about Rust but I'm pretty sure everyone in it was already ugly as poo poo so I don't get the complaints

I mean I know the real reason (dumb kids are dumb) but what a weird place to have that battle

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

i made a terrible mistake

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

They've changed up the new player experience a bit and ostensibly made things easier to start, and in fact our very own Games Forum Moderator VideoGames is posting his experience starting the game in the Eve Thread right now.
These posts were very cheering to read. I don't think I'll ever take the plunge into EVE but it sounds like that could be fun. Sounds like what would probably end up happening if I got No Man's Sky, just puttering around harvesting everything I can and trying not to get blown up too much.

Though I bet if I went dredging through my Steam library I've probably already got several different games I set aside where I could be a space miner til I got dreadfully bored with it. I'm really bad about that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like how Crash and Spyro didn't survive the PS2 era.
I want to leave my reality and join this one where Skylanders never happened

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

It would be cool to have more Crash Bandicoot.
The Last Of Crash?

Uncrashed?

Wanna see Donut Cortex

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Next person to talk about bonfires better bring some drat Smores

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I would be tempted to get that bundle just to own more than a couple games for Wii U without paying $40 a piece

(Okay there's the Nintendo Selects but they did that after I got Mario 3D World already dangit)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

Haunted Roller Coaster Tycoon

BEN DROWNED
BEN1 DROWNED
BEN2 DROWNED
Congratulations! You passed the scenario!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

I've never been able to find any proof of this game existing other than a few random people saying they played it
It's probably on Mobygames but you're never gonna figure out the name of it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

nintendo talking about mobile 2night

well don't drop a link or anything

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/26/nintendo-reportedly-announcing-next-mobile-game-plans-soon

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

Maybe I will do a "Nuzlocke". Are there any Nuzlocke experts who can help walk me through the various optional rules?
For a more hosed up game, Wonder Trade away everything you capture until you have a full team of random bullshit, then Wonder Trade away anyone who faints. Or combine the two and only capture one mon per route and Wonder Trade it, then release any who faint so you have attrition.

My main Nuzlocke advice would be throw your fainted guys in the Box rather than release them so when you inevitably get tired of Nuzlocke you can still go back and finish the game

You can also just relax the rules and let yourself have two per route or take a mulligan if the first thing you meet is lovely or excuse yourself from dismissing anyone who gets OHKO'd or really whatever the hell you make up. Nuzlocke was kind of made to give people who have played Pokémon for too long something to do, but for a newcomer it mostly means lovely long grinding stints, TM abuse, and cheap deaths.

Then again you're probably better off not grinding if you want real tension and nasty surprises

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 27, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

What happened with that game anyway? I know there were production issues and it wound up sucking, but the early concept stuff was great.
they made it and it seemed like nobody cared, but it actually did well enough that they made another one.

you're not missing out on anything, but if you find one of them in a bargain bin they're not the worst games ever

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Still baffling, the Wii U has had some great releases steadily coming out the past two years and it still couldn't keep up with the competition. Console gaming is dying.
If you can only own one console and don't have an allegiance to Nintendo, which one are you gonna buy?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

Please make our game's cover look like it's an absolute garbage shovelware title that will make people who wanted to buy the other game it's bundled with actually reconsider and throw it back into the Wal-Mart bargain bin. Thanks.
On the other hand, it doesn't have the fat guys who probably actually play darts

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TheScott2K posted:

Motherfucker it's a video game of darts. I'm surprised it took them till the third try to put some tits on the cover.
what do you mean, i see tits on all three covers :confused:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Yeah, but they are basically only North Korea because it's okay to demonize North Korea in real life. I get it, it just feels kind of gross to me personally. Like North Korea is a "safe" country to demonize due to current politics, so in your totally fictional setting, they will be the bad guys even though fictional NK has nothing in common with real NK.
I thought they filtered all media that comes into North Korea anyway though? So the people who should be offended aren't even going to see it, it's a bunch of -ism against people who will never be aware of it and would rather not interact with us anyway. From what I understand they like being demonized anyway because it helps their case for martyrdom vs the evil everyone else.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

a local movie theater has its own food menu thing filled with awful puns

awful awful puns
damm that's legit cheap for a theater dinner thing. i want one

even $5 popcorn is kind of a bargain at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

also just speaking as an artist i find it really unimaginative when everything is sexualized in media to a specific definition just because the ad guys say so. it leads to lack of design contrast and homogenization. i watch anime but nothing bothers me more when i can't tell characters apart because the designer drew the characters off a template because that's their ideal waifu or whatever. I couldn't understand what was going on in Gundam SEED when I was younger because every character looked like hair/palette-swaps
There's a vicious cycle that I can imagine where in order to get paid well for your art you have to make what the market wants, and in turn if you want to hire art for your game, you want to choose artists who are good so you pick the successful ones, and then they shape the end product by making stuff similar to what they did before, which is what put food on their plate.

Since you actually are an artist, do you have any insight on whether this happens? It seems we often assume it's market-droids from the publisher or someone who barge in and demand bigger boobs or something, but I don't know if that is how it actually happens, and even if it does, that doesn't necessarily have to be the entire picture.

• Locked thread