Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I don't play this game, but I'm getting the vague impression that what the enemy considers 'fun' is getting to do space-selfies on killboards with goon ships.

Regardless of what's happened over the past few years, I get the feeling that the whole point of goons in EVE Online is to make the rest of the game less fun and that space-bushido is an absolutely worthless concept to EVEgoons.

So why would they fall upon the enemies' spears and deliver content to them that they consider 'fun' when they have the option to ruin things for them?

Also, I find it hilarious that the MBC is just hauling TEST around like Weekend at Bernie's (hint: TEST is Bernie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Daruna posted:

you are the old guard now. groups like horde, brave (actually I don't think brave have thrown their hat into this as of right now), MAYBE test though they're pretty old now too, etc. are doing to you what you did to BoB

with more help, granted, but still.

I don't think you have your historical parallels lined up properly. I don't even play this dead gay game and even I know that the fall of BoB was way different than what's going on now.

I'd carepost about it but given how engaged you seem with reading comprehension I think it'd be a big waste of my time.

Cygni posted:

oh i dont read TMC except to scroll down to the comments and laugh at mad people

The only proper way to read TMC.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Landsknecht posted:

i have a feeling that if everything is lost people will gloat for a bit but then the 15k+ player monstrosity that is GSF will take like delve-pb-querious and live there or w/e

owning like 10 regions is kinda dumb, but I'm sure certain regions will be more valuable again

It's weird how people seem to forget that SOLAR FLEET got run out of their space, only for them to reappear there months later to little fanfare. Like, if they believe that this somehow spells the end of GSF then :shrug: Historically, you've all been through a lot worse. Like forgetting to pay your bills.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

you exist because pl deigns to allow you to exist in a "last past the post acquire all the bodies we can" organization specifically combating the successes of the reddit recruitmenting efforts of other orgs

After all, in the battle to have the N+1 battle force, reddit is probably a much more fertile recruiting ground than the forum of a comedy website.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kimsemus posted:

Let's sum up "printing whatever I tell them":

I'm positive he told them to print all of that. POSITIVE. :smugdon:

Yeah, he deserved some of the snark he got in that article.

Though to be fair, they probably printed most of what he told them.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

The good part of reddit is that it's usually the first place news hits. With the attacks at the concert in Paris, they broke it before BBC news and had live updates coming much quicker than the established news sites. It really does seem that a lot of news related to whatever I'm interested in gets posted there before anywhere else.

I don't like digging into the comments because they are usually awful in a bad way.

They were super good at identifying the Boston Bomber before everyone else, too.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mpaarating posted:

It exposes how heinously normal this journalist is :stonk:

All he did is print everything mittens said. Maybe it means that mittens thinks eve is a failing, boring game? :supaburn:

Daruna posted:

we did it, reddit!

indeed. we should all pack it in.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

silentsnack posted:

No idea how much of anything is true (being a scientist does that) but if they did succeed at that then how many more internet-crimefighter points do they need to catch up to 4chan?

http://www.businessinsider.com/reddit-falsely-accuses-sunil-tripathi-of-boston-bombing-2013-7

:thejoke:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Eonwe posted:

what do you guys think of le reddit

i would give you karma for this post, but since this isn't reddit i can't.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

"TopGoon[555 posted:

" post="458751333"]
You know you're really done when the lap dogs come after you

your posts are cool and edgy, especially when you call other people dogs. here, have this as a reward

Daruna posted:

if you join PanFam you can join the ingame channel Newbeans and help hordelings :3:

god knows anyone who plays this game other than videogames needs help.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Its camped because its a great pipe system and we're being fed kills. I personally dropped the bubble that's on the station and it had nothing to do with a dread cache being there, but keep on spinning that.

It's just a coincidence, right?

Glory of Arioch posted:

no you're supposed to take a shot when the overused phrase gets said

:cmon:

Is it the phrase 'moving goalposts'?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Xachariah posted:

Right? Why are a bunch of anti-goonswarm snits so concerned about some dude who had a tantrum and got bounced?

Because they want to dump this poo poo on r/eve and claim they're winning the culture war?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kimsemus posted:

I don't even want to be a part of this poo poo show war.

I don't really believe that considering how :smaug: you've been in the thread.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kimsemus posted:

CO2's super fleet
NC.'s super and cap fleet which is as large or larger than PL's
LSV's super fleet
MC's super fleet

I could go on.

Kimsemus posted:

its p easy when my allies still exist

Kimsemus posted:

It's really easy to get people riled up about who uses supers and who uses how many

and the most riled people are the ones who can't log theirs in. :smuggo:

I could go on. But I'm too lazy to search past the last page.

Kimsemus posted:

I'm in Shadow Cartel, part of LSV. Let me just tell you, LET ME TELL YOU what I get out of this war.

As a fair exchange, I WILL TELL YOU what I get out of this war.

1) A whole lot of shitposting
2) Deadtear posting animal .gifs
3) Watching man-on-man spaceship drama unfold

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Daruna posted:

just tried it for a match

no thank you

:smith:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ullerrm posted:

e: and boat managed to bait a 150-man PH talwar+cormorant fleet into a bombing run and murdered about 120 of them, sadly my bomb was late and i didn't on any of them :( -- http://evf-eve.com/services/brcat/?s=3686&b=6989850&e=15&t=rq

STOP SPINNING THE NARRATIVE GUYS. everyone knows goons don't undock because they have no e-bushido.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In retrospect, (and I say this with no irony) you are totally cool in my book.

Zephyrine posted:

Cats are better.

Quality post.

ah, a real smarty

He'd be super-smart if he fat-fingered the jump button instead of bridge.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 16, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dadbuck posted:

The narrative is quite simple. Goons are pawns in the moneymaking operation of Mittani, and our hard work (isk) is used to enrich himself via TMC. Whether or not the lot here is part and parcel to this treachery is another question.

:yikes:

You opened my eyes, brother, to the truth of the world. For years my hard work has gone to enrich the CEO of every company I've worked for. It's high time I quit all of my jobs and see how homelessness works out for me... Eh, nope.

I mean, this is such a garbage logic that you could apply this to the CEO of every major corporation and alliance and EVE. PL, NC., and TEST don't have TMC as part of their revenue stream, but you can bet those CEOs know how to make a whole crapload of ISK off their line members without even needing TMC. The only thing you're missing is a 'wake up, sheeple' in your diatribe.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

when even the dude proud to be in in phorde is getting free shots off on you, it's time for your stupid rear end to pack it up

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Xolve posted:

You're in TEST I think that's actually a rung or two below PH in terms of ability and usefulness.

If this alliance of convenience was a movie, it would be Weekend at Bernie's. PL and NC. would be the two guys, and TEST would be the festering corpse that is Bernie that they prop up everywhere for show. Even so, I couldn't help but notice they took TEST off the big-boy chair that was VFK today.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Torpor posted:

I like how phorde is flying so many ships that they are choking the barrels of our guns. Also the mass entosis thing seems exceedingly obvious and the Zergy type of strategy that we should have been doing this past month.

It kind of seems like our defense has been low energy.

If I recall correctly, FozzieSov rewards this type of attacker strategy and due to the nature of how defensive hacking works (only certain groups who 'own' the links can counter-hack) it puts the burden of defense on one entity. For example, GSF can't help FCON by counter-hacking any FCON entosis and vice versa, but basically everybody in the entire MBC can hack entosis links regardless of who owns them. Therefore, choking gun barrels with massive numbers of people - whose losses can all be reimbursed thanks to the extremely generous purse strings of MBC - is an effective strategy. Ironically enough, you could probably consider it to be a classic GSF tactic.

As for why defense is low-energy (:smugdon:), GSF has been reduced from a sovereign power to an insurgency. Because the MBC as a whole possesses the Apex Force regarding the size of their supercapital fleet, GSF can't risk a super-cap engagement because 1) it would end horribly for GSF 2) give the enemy exactly what they want and 3) tank morale in a big way because r/eve would become even more insufferable than it already is for the foreseeable future. For similar reasons, GSF can't really risk a large-scale engagement either - with its sovereignty fading away rapidly, a lot of the income from moongoo and ratters is fading away as well. Regularly reimbursing 100+ billion ISK fleets is definitely a planned-upon expense, but it would be ideal if these 100+ billion ISK fleets were used to fight winnable battles. The war chest needs to be maintained for future engagements as well as for the expense that Citadels will incur as well. Right now, with the entirely of the MBC waiting for a 'gudfite', there really isn't an ideal scenario for GSF to go on a high-energy defensive operation. The 'gudfites' for the MBC will almost inevitably end with GSF getting curbstomped as it's really hard to overcome 3:1 odds and the ever-present threat of escalation via supercaps.

The best strategy available to GSF right now - one that they appear to be employing - is to simply deny the enemy fights and bide their strength while launching guerrilla strikes on unsuspecting idiots as a way to bleed the enemy while they are the occupying force. By making the very act of maintaining sov in Deklein an absolute hell for the people who will occupy it - which is likely not going to be PL or NC. unless somehow holding sov in nullsec will come with massive enough benefits for them to move out of lowsec - GSF wants to make it extremely unattractive space.

The way I see it, this part of the war - grinding GSF's sov into oblivion - is really only the first phase. Even when Deklein changes from yellow over to whatever motley Verite decides upon, the war is far from over.

All of this is just my opinion/conjecture, however. I don't play this game, but I follow its goings-on with enough attention to make some casual observations about the state of things from afar. I have absolutely zero inside knowledge, except what I can divine from open sources.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

mpaarating posted:

You guys spend waaay too much time thinking of words to make this game sound dramatic and exciting.

:shrug: Thinking this way comes naturally to me and it didn't take me very long?

ChickenWing posted:

that's a really big post just to say we're turning Dek into afghangoonistan

Yep. That's pretty much the angle I was going for.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CainFortea posted:

:drat:

Where did lemba go?

On a rant.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ullerrm posted:

It's a catch-22. Cats' digestive tracts are designed to get most of their moisture from what they eat; they only drink water directly if they're overwhelmingly thirsty. So, a diet of purely dry food keeps their teeth clean, but leaves them constantly mildly dehydrated; a diet of purely wet food keeps them hydrated, but contributes to tooth decay. Ideally, offer a bit of both, and they'll eat as they see fit.

Hopefully, you'll never have to deal with a cat with dental problems, but if you know your cat does have dental problems, get them taken care of right away. Not only do cats have more nerves in their teeth than humans, but the pulp is relatively close to the surface; if it gets exposed, it's agonizing. And it can lead to lethal infections, too -- the roots of a cat's teeth, especially the incisors, go absurdly deep into their skul

My wife and I got a cat from a foster who had tooth decay issues that she didn't treat because the cat 'wasn't hers'. Given the cost (at least $1000), I can totally see why you wouldn't spend that money on a cat that you might not have for a while, but she did foster the cat for two years (we adopted our cat when she was seven).

As a result of her having bad teeth for a very long time, my cat now very rarely chews anything and instead wolfs down her kibble and swallows it whole. In terms of wet food, she'll really only eat pate (since it has the consistency of already-chewed food).

All I'm saying is that cats do get teeth problems and it pays to be diligent about them. They can have behavioral consequences in addition to general health consequences.

vyst posted:

Pitties get such a bad rap. They're so sweet :3:

They are! While we were signing the paperwork to adopt our cat, someone returned a one-year old pitbull to the humane society. They were pretty much still a puppy and had all of their puppy behaviors, it's just that they looked like a full-grown dog. It had some obedience training, was generally happy and excited to see people, and was pretty much your standard good dog. It came up to use excitedly for pets much like you would expect any puppy, and we obliged.

The person had to return it because their neighbor, a police officer, saw it 'chasing' children (more than likely just being a puppy and trying to get attention and pets from people) and said that they would kill the dog by shooting it with their gun if they saw the dog do that again.

Had it been any other breed, the neighbor wouldn't have cared.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

This isn't the chill thread, right? So I'm allowed to be angry at a fatmouth no-friend Eve Online richboy using Isk he got from an out of game website to buy his way into space empire relevance?

I mean on the one hand it's funny as hell that he's basically being scammed for trillions weekly by a bunch of yuks who have no intention of sticking together. On the other it's infuriating that this edgelord thinks GSF culture circa 2008 is anything but a blight on the mere concept of good taste.

I really enjoyed the Kotaku article, because Lenny basically presented the entire 'negotiation' with Mercenary Coalition as "MC politely refuses to name a figure for invading the Imperium because at the time, it was financially irresponsible. IWI guy insists. MC names a pie-in-the-sky figure. IWI guy says 'OK'."

I mean, it obviously didn't take long for PL, NC., and the rest of EVE to smell the blood money in the water and hop on the bandwagon as well. He's not wrong in saying that the invasion will continue without his monetary support because it's reached critical mass, but he's kind of dumb if he assumes GSF disappearing from the sov map will be the 'end' to the war.

I also enjoyed the number of lines devoted to assuring everyone that IWI is 100 percent above-board.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Landsknecht posted:

the leading factor in cool is an in-home surveillance system and the finest hanzo steel

Make sure you've got a black trenchcoat so when you turn the lights off during a home invasion they'll never be able to see you poo poo your pants you run away screaming your brave hanzo steel flashing in the moonlight as it takes yet another doorframe picture of your mom head.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Krogort posted:

Seems that reddit fucktards are slowly coming to the realization that there will be nothing left to counter PL permanently helldunking anything and everything.
We did it, reddit !

But... but Rich Uncle Pennybags just wanted to see Goonwaffe go back to the way it used to be! HE DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Unfunny Poster posted:

He is the, and I'm not making this up, "Senior Editor, Opinions" at Polygon.

He also is apparently really awkward/dumb according to people who met him at previous Fanfests.

So he writes just like how he acts?

Seriously, I don't even have to look at who the author is to know when an article is written by him. I just read the title and if the voice of reason in my head says "this is poo poo" *bing bing!* Ben Kuchera shows up as the author.

Landsknecht posted:

it's almost like there's high editorial and content standards for a lot of online media these days and anything run by volunteers about a niche videogame can't really match those

:eyepop:

But yeah, pretty much any news service run by volunteers for a niche videogame more or less come with the following criteria:

1. Do you like game?
94. Can you write/edit in AP style like a real journalist?
95. Can you even write for journalistic standards?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Blazing Zero posted:

that rps article kinda makes eve sound fun imo

What's interesting about that article to me is that the people financing the war are functionally invincible.

I know EVE is all about "You can be THE GUY" sort of stuff, but for all of the financiers talk of 'we only retaliate to in-game stuff in-game' it's a mighty high horse they get to sit upon because it's fundamentally impossible to retaliate against their actions in-game. They can log into Jita, pay whatever number of corporations they want to wage war against you, watch all of your stuff burn, and never even have to undock. They'll make their money back from gamblers in the meantime. You can't even spend the ISK/effort to get a suicide gank in on them. For goons who scam people, at least those people can resort to trying to kill you in game via bounties or mercenary contracts.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

frozenpussy posted:

Run them out of ISK.

How exactly do you run someone out of trillions of ISK? Market manipulation to tank the value of ISK is difficult, because it requires collective action and all they have to do is pay someone to start a war and you're all back to spending money.

Getting people not to gamble (where they make their money) is pretty much impossible, too.

Pulling a heist like what SMA did is *meta* and even then only netted a paltry amount of ISK.

Functionally, they're immune to any sort of in-game retaliation. All it took was three people to spend their ISK on mercenaries and this war went well out of control. They basically admitted that they could stop paying out today and momentum would carry the war through. In other words, they've hit a point where they could comfortably back away and rebuild their ISK supply. Moreover, since they're basically the house when it comes to gambling, all they have to do is shift their payout percentage a little bit more in their favor and they can make even more money back.

I don't condone doing anything out of the game, but CCP should do something where these people are exposed to some sort of risk (but because :ccp:, they won't). Right now, they're able to make fuckloads of money with absolutely zero risk.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Goatman Sacks posted:

If only Lemba put as much effort into being a father and husband as he's put into these slow release leaks.

C'mon you guys, we all know that he was being a bad father and husband because mittens told him to.

evilweasel posted:

lemba's not doing them, he gave all of his logs to pl to try to get them to take him in

they took the logs and then said thanks but no thanks to his app so now he's in some no-name alliance

It seems he forgot the most important part of the application - do you have a super? Goonfucking can't get you in the door unless you got a super out of it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

evilweasel posted:

also this war is so interesting i actually undocked and pvped :sun:

of course because fozziesov is poo poo my "pvp" was waving a sovwand at an ihub while watching my scout so i could hide if someone was coming, but eventually my sovwand prevailed and the ihub was reinforced

then i waved it at a tcu and got a bunch of hordlings puttering around in local trying to remember what ship they had seen on scan before i cloaked up and then someone else reinforced the tcu instead

There you go with that spin thing again. Everyone knows that goons never undock and that PH would never be so careless!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Glory of Arioch posted:

payday was here, whatchamacallit is a little BITCH

Our alliance has been through a lot this year, but we have not forgotten what is truly important... the great taste of Charleston Chew! Aroo!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Well you see, Goons are like raccoons because they are both in the dumpster right now.

You mean that they're smarter than you?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh hey as an aside from the yelling, did Fallout 4 have any SA/GSF references?

I don't think so? New Vegas had SA references in it because the lead designer at Obsidian is a goon (rope kid) - and he used the best references (Zyborne Clock). To my knowledge, the Lead Designer of Fallout 4 at Bethesda is not a goon and as such would not know the references to place them in the game.

If I ever made a mod for Fallout: NV you can be sure that I'd put something dumb in the game like a living protectron at the top of a staircase while there's a random dead body at the bottom of said staircase.

With regards to THE NAME, CCP Falcon being the ultimate arbiter of who has the best 'claim' is kind of a crock of poo poo, though. Up until this point, they entertained approximately zero claims - it's not like they kept a running list of claims and tracked who is the One True Goon who would receive the name. In addition, it's not like they said "we are holding this name in perpetuity until the One True Goon by the name of DARIUS Johnson comes to claim it". This was basically a very poorly executed favor to DJ for being a CCP employee, not because he had the best 'claim'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fo3 had mittani and remedial in it

What references are those? I can't remember them.

• Locked thread