Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd almost be tempted to resub my accounts, but then I remembered that EvE is a game best read about, not played.

For once, the opposite is true -- Eve is pretty fun at the moment, and most Eve coverage ATM is based on Reddit's r/eve which is a cancerous cesspool.

(Unless you like dank memes and racial slurs, in which case, dive in.)

Zephyrine posted:

That's not a slope. This is a slope.

:vince: :iceburn:

Or is it "fook year shed our dead weight" -- can never tell. Usually there's an intervening "oh god why will nobody fly a dictor" period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Eonwe posted:

its some people who used to play on the same mumble as the GOKU Planetside 2 guys, with a little crossover from them

Wat.

Can we get some duck trivia up in this thread plz

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

freed of our sov space we could embrace querns jihad and become a wormhole alliance that just evicts and blows up other wormhole alliances

In all honesty, being freed of our sov space would suck, and I'll do my best to prevent it. But I have to admit I like the idea of Goons taking over Thera and making it our personal "who shall we harass today? :rolls hole until a juicy target exists:" system.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, and now I finally get to respond to this from the last thread:

Blawrf posted:

What? Stop creating falsehoods, you're better than that.

I don't mind disagreeing with people, and I only mind a little when it turns out I'm wrong. But I really hate being called a liar. Given our friendship, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you simply forgot.

I'm referring to October of last year, when gigx was really unhappy that Wibla had recruited an ex-CO2 corp, ITAI. They reset TNT, then manually blued every corp in TNT except ITAI, and insisted on shooting them.

quote:

(11:01:18 AM) gigx@goonfleet.com/laptop: TNT just recruited ITAI - that corp stole from CO2, poached people from other Imperium alliances, poeached from CO2 corporations, threating minilav group, made alot diplomatic issues with other alliances in coalition, and was kicked and put on -10 permamently by CO2
CO2 will keep that corp on negative standings
Game mechanics the only way to do that is to give all TNT corps +10 and set that one corp -10

No problems with TNT, we just dont want that corp living and playing in our space

After those incidents, we pulled all supers out of Delve and put them back in Dek in case CO2 was going to reset us over the ITAI poo poo, after which CO2 suddenly got quiet. I know for a fact you remember that move -- it was the one where Atrum lost his Erebus to a BL hotdrop and you got super pissed.

Again, not trying to show you up -- I assume you had just forgotten. My memory isn't what it used to be, but these events are less than six months old.

Speaking of which, we've now made public some of the CD logs from CO2, and it might help refresh your memory for the older stuff -- you show up a lot in them. It was broadcast to opt-all, so I'm sure you'll see them soon enough.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Magres posted:

Whatever happened to sour things so much between test and goons?

Long, long ago I was in Dreddit when it was first starting and I remember like day one, a Goon battleship attacked our lovely little civilian laser mining up and we swarmed it to death and goons were pretty much like daw little bees come be friends and let us crash on their couch and turn into a real corp. I quit a few months later because actually playing eve bores the poo poo out of me, but I never really heard why that friendship crashed and burned

Short version: TEST became inundated with shitlers, most of Dreddit's good people fled to Fweddit, we murdered what was left of TEST in cold blood, and they've hated us ever since.

Longer version: Montolio decided that he wanted power and prestige, and pulled TEST out of the CFC to start his own megacoalition in Fountain, the HBC (Honeybadger Coalition) -- and largely did it with our blessing, with the CFC keeping TEST blue. His megacoalition grew fast, but turned sour quickly. They started having border skirmishes with FA, which led to a mutual reset. Then, the R64 rebalance came in, we realized that Fountain was a gold mine and that we didn't really like TEST anymore, so CFC started an invasion of Fountain, which turned into the Fountain War, which we won. TEST was left without space and ended up putzing around Faction Warfare for years, then finally came to prominence again when Fozziesov came out.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Huge_Midget posted:

What can we do to shore up UQ9? Like most of us realize nobody gives two shits about VFK but we need to help our allies punch these shitlers in the dick.

We already did it -- we held the IHub, partly due to good prep, and partly because the Allies are run by stupid lazy fucks who don't realize that taking 10 jumps in max Tidi takes a while.

(Plus, laughable idiocy like one of the Allies showing up in a 250-man combat fleet with no entosis links fitted, expecting some mighty combat and getting blue balls instead.)

Ultimately, once the Dunce Caps actually got there, we were outnumbered 2400 to 1000 -- it'd be stupid to directly fight that. We know that, and FCON knows it. So, the station got freeported. But by holding the IHub, it took four hours of sov lasering to freeport the station, and will take just as long later to potentially flip it. Plenty of time to stage a response fleet there.

As for VFK, they did show up with a small fleet, but they refused to hack any node not in VFK itself. (Not sure if it was a retard junior H-team FC who just didn't know how Fizzlesov works, or what.) A small group of entosis Drakes from YA0 started hacking every node the spawned outside VFK, and could hack faster than the attackers, so we won all three structures there.

TLDR: laffo

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Goddamn when did you get so bitter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1vTGN52MCc

e: Predicting yet another refrain of "adding this to gsf_tears.zip" -- after all, you post it in the Eve thread roughly every five posts you make.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 2, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

God drat, Vee out there murdering entire fleets of MOA. Feels like old times again :)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Failheap these days seems to be a, well, as advertised.

Where's the new place to get pre-patch EFT files? Anyone have EFT for the coming capital changes?

They're no longer being made. Gripen successfully drove off everyone who was making them. Most theorycrafters have permanently switched to PyFa.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

almighty posted:

Yes, how long has it been since we have last heard of SMcD?

The original SMcD won Eve like a year ago. :smith: And tbh, the gimmick had been run into the ground anyways. Let people get some non-duck avatars for a bit.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

At some point I may have to pay to make that GIF an actual smiley. I don't know if I'd call it :deadtear: or :fnlnidiot: though.

Xolve is a good poster with regrettable choice in allies.

That's all.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

Could you give some insight into why contracting with containers is bad? I'm just curious as I used to do it all the time back during the Fountain War without getting crapped on for it.

Safely shipping between highsec and 0.0 requires two pilots for the ship you're using:

* one that's in GSF (so that they can dock at the station in null)
* one that's in an NPC noobcorp (so that they can fly through highsec without being ruined by the various wardecs against GSF)

When you put up a courier contract, everything in the contract is put into a virtual container. The recipient of the contract then creates a new courier contract to be privately handled by their noobcorp alt, to move it to a midpoint so that the in-corp pilot can take it the last jump(s) into 0.0 -- which puts it into another virtual container.

For reasons unclear, CCP doesn't allow you to nest containers more than two deep in contracts. So, if you have a container inside your contract, the courier isn't allowed to forward the contract to their noobcorp alt, which complicates everything. It's not impossible to ship (you can manually trade it to the noobcorp alt), but it does add extra work.

This is why Red Frog and other communal shipping services have big notices that say "try not to ship containers, and if you must ship one, please mention in the contract description field that there's containers."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hobold posted:

At least it will ship. Unlike Star Citizen. It will also be good!

(derail) In theory, Star Citizen has already shipped some things. They're never actually going to do a hard launch/ship, imo -- they're just going to continuously iterate on it until they run out of memory, or until they get bored and simply decide to not work on a feature anymore, like what happened with Star Marine. Everything's just permanently stuck in Alpha, forever.

At this point, SC is a bit like a Rorschach test for gamers; CIG's sold it as the "game of your dreams" and tried to make it appeal to everyone, so everyone hopes that SC will be something like their favorite game but better. Eve players, especially those who are winning Eve, hope that SC will be Eve-but-better. Wing Commander / Freelancer / Elite players think it'll be that, but better. Explorer types hope it'll be like No Man's Sky, but better. FPS players hoped that Star Marine would be Halo-but-better.

To be honest, now that they're five years and 2.5 graphics engines into development (and splitting the dev process across four different studio sites), it's going to probably end up being DNF-but-better.

(And once Chris Roberts runs out of coke money, he'll be DNR-but-better. :classiclol:)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Hobold posted:

Could someone run a inter-dek shipping thing with just one JF and one cyno?

You can, but you'll hate your life. If you go back to the last Eve thread, I think Zephyrine made a really good "what you need for a minimal shipping service" post -- I don't remember the exact details, but I think the TLDR was "one JF, two JF pilots, and 2-3 cynos." Space trucking is one of those rare jobs in Eve where your time/effort expended on the task decreases as you throw more accounts at it.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

dragonstalking posted:

gently caress all that just use a cyno and pilot and wait out the fatigues while you move the next cyno and alt-tab out to shitpost on SA. Moving all those characters around would drive me crazy.

Well, you definitely need two JF pilots in order to get in and out of your 0.0 station (and in/out of Jita) without dying in a fire. And you need to be able to trade your sole JF between your noobcorp pilot and your 0.0 pilot, so they have to be on separate accounts.

If you've already committed to two accounts, it's easy enough to have all your cynos on alts on those characters. Looks something like this:

Account one:
* Null JF pilot
* Lowsec midpoint cynos (including emergency exit cynos in case Rusrus tries to suicide you on your way back from lowsec to jita)

Account two:
* Noobcorp JF pilot
* Nullsec station cyno
* Lowsec midpoint cyno

Any additional accounts just increase your carrying capacity per trip or save time setting up cynos in other destinations. Like I said, space trucking is a game where the effort goes down as you add more characters to it, which is the exact opposite of many moneymaking schemes in Eve.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yeah. They are absurdly good, especially for the relatively low amount of SP that's needed to fly one. A significant part of large fleet warfare atm involves having a wing of CDs whose purpose is to split off chunks of a hostile fleet (esp their logis) and bounce them 100km away so they can be killed, or at the least, forced to reposition. They're absurdly tanky too, and the Caldari one in particular can pack an expanded probe launcher without much compromise in the fit.

These days, you don't bother bubble camping an undock -- you just keep a conga line of CDs on the undock, and as soon as something undocks, they try to MJD it off.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

YouTuber posted:

I'd really like Command Ships to get the ability to boosh as well. Instead of 6km up it to 15km and give it the abiltiy to move capitals. It's primary function of running links has been given to T3 Cruisers so I think it'd be a good substitute.

gently caress CCP for making Svipul the Everything-Ship that everyone flies... but hey, can we make the Bifrost into an Everything-Ship too? :laffo:

Hint: the thread involving stupid pubbie wish fulfillment is that way.

e: On a less rear end in a top hat note, seriously, think about it. Next patch, you don't need HICs to tackle supers -- just need a bunch of subcaps to get over their 50-100ish warp strength. If CDs could warp capitals, you'd immediately see GSF flying nothing but them. The minute we see a capital or supercapital, MJD all the triage away from them, then bulk-scram them, and murder them.

e: VVVVV :420: :420: :420:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

He said command ships, not command destroyers. Sleipnirs and Claymores, not Bifrosts.

My bad. However, my objection remains the same -- in fact, it gets worse, given that some commandships can put out 500+ dps while packing significant tank at the same time. Imagine, in your next supercap ball 10% tidi garbage fight, that a fleet of 200 Sleipnirs or Astartes warps in at 100km, double-dutch MJDs an aeon away from its accompanying FAXes, bulk scrams it, and murders it before any support caps can align (much less warp) to it in the tidi.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

What in the name of all that is good and holy are FCON trying to achieve at the moment?

https://zkillboard.com/system/30002955/

e: aww, nvm, she's not on the BR. Plain old dumb feeding then.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

so the reddit guys were right? wow what's happening here. are we losing or winning?

We lost everything. Vee's Cruor was reprocessed and the trit used to make kinetic missiles. Laz shaved his beard (and divorced his other beard). Mittens committed sudoku. Sion is in space-jail awaiting trial on crimes against goodposting.

CONDI, now freed from the shackles of holding sov, does wolfpacks in Amarr factional warfare.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is a game where allegedly the guy who started this whole beef with IWantIsk ripped his skillpoints out and biomassed that character to make it seem like he quit the game entirely.

Nobody really quits this game, they just get too bitter to play (but not too bitter to post).

Hell, Marlona Sky biomassed years ago, and we can't get rid of his shitposting no matter how much you fumigate.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

1) A person did something horrible
2) Goons are known for being horrible
3) That person must be a Goon
4) Goons should disavow that person

This concludes Concern Trolling 102. Homework is a one-page essay on why Eonwe is a better person than you, due at the start of class tomorrow.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Phi230 posted:

What are the most profitable/fun modes of combat? Should i be doing mining and other non combat things to fuel my fighting instead?

Does EVE have a stock market

Most profitable form of combat: Suicide ganking.

The "high-security" areas of space aren't really safe -- you're actually allowed to shoot other players there. If you shoot someone, CONCORD (the in-game NPC police force) will show up a few seconds later and kill your ship; they cannot be avoided, and you can't tank them. BUT, if you can kill a target before CONCORD can get there, they stay dead, and you can scoop their loot (and yours) if you can get there with an alt before anyone else. So, suicide gankers use cargo scanners and ship scanners to identify hauler ships with high-value cargo, and sacrifice their own ships to kill that hauler and steal its cargo. It's really fun, and it's profitable, but it's occasionally monotonous.

Most fun form of combat: No good answer.

There's a ton of different forms of combat -- solo, small gangs of various sizes, larger fleets, and huge multi-fleet coalition work. Try them all and see what works for you.

Eve does allow in-game corporations to issue stock, but you can't trade stock certificates between people, or sell them, so it's not really useful for anything. At most, some idiot pubbie corps use it to implement voting systems.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the Amarr BS that is used in fleets? Is it still the Abaddon?

Apoc, sadly. The optimal range and tracking bonuses are just too good, compared to the resist bonus on the Abaddon. After all, if you can't hit back, then more tank just means you die slower.

E: ^^^ that too. The Abaddon has abysmal cap regen, and will cap itself out just by firing its guns. It unironically benefits from an Elutriation rig; possibly, the only hull in the game that does.

It's a pity, because I loving love the hull's visual design.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Alas, only two of the four Marauders are good, and only one is good without needing 1B+ of pimp mods on it :(

E: edit != quote

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 9, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

bonewitch posted:

arty abbadon doctrine when

I unironically made an arty abaddon fit a month or so ago and posted it in illum, mostly to make a point that the Tempest did it better. Atrum wouldn't stop laughing and demanded that all of illum had to do a shot. :(

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Despera posted:

If you like high sec pve. Then again I'm flying a pest in grinder fleet. When did we get so poor to stop srping fleet issues?

We generally don't SRP any faction ship unless they're an explicit part of a doctrine. I think we'll SRP it at the price of a normal Tempest, which won't make you whole but is better than nothing. Same deal with NApocs -- if you're willing to pay for them, you can fit them exactly the same as the doctrine Apoc, but iirc you can upgrade all the guns to T2 due to the higher power grid.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I love this thread. :glomp:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

nessin posted:

Honest question, I don't have a supercap so maybe I'm just a clueless idiot but how do you lose them solo like this? Did he try jumping in where there was no tower available and planned to just cap up? Otherwise I assume all you have to do is not jump into a system with a long time camper and a moment when the system is clear and then warp to the tower. Sure there is always going to be a chance a random interdictor is flying through on a roam and they'll catch you, but that has to be a one in a million chance.

Yep. He was told to stay cloaked and wait until a safe route could be built for him, and he decided not to. He's an idiot.

Basically, 90% of the recent super losses have gone like this:

1) Valued ally: "Hey guys I'm back after an N month absence, what's up?"
2) Goons: "Stay cloaked, don't decloak even if it's to safe-log. Just stay put and we'll try to help you move as soon as it's safe."
3) Valued ally: "gently caress that, imma move on my own."
4) Supercap dies
5) Goons: "YOU loving IDIOT, WE TOLD YOU TO STAY CLOAKED AND WAIT"
6) No-longer-valued ally: "Tiberizzle said mean things to me :cry:"

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

so I know this is probably like so 8 hours ago, but what's with the ~valued CFC member~ FCON constantly losing supers/titans

are the pubbies running for the exits? Culling of the summer children?

Bit of both. Someone who's been unsubbed for a while hears from a friend that FCON is moving, and that Titans are being rebalanced next patch and will need a bunch of new modules, etc etc... and they panic and think "I gotta get to Saranen asap."

The panic overrides the part of them that should normally make them take the typical care, and they ignore the advice of our super cap FCs and die.

And tbh, a bit of culling is a good thing. (PL will have to do it themselves down the road, with all the stupid pubbies they're poaching from TEST who think it's safe to midpoint a super through Aridia in AUTZ.)

For my part, my super is unsubbed in a Fade system and will stay that way for a few months. Eve is, above all else, a game that rewards patience -- and veins of ice water.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

i think the lesson is that actually people are still weird about women playing video games and its sad

Pretty much this. James did a writeup at the time here, with quotes of some of the r/eve posting at the time, and it's mighty gross:

http://www.minerbumping.com/2013/06/too-hot-for-themittanicom-mintchip.html

Truth be told, I'm almost more bothered by "she wasn't a real gamer, she was just getting carried by pros" complaints than the usual "show me yr tits" poo poo. Nobody benefits from the existence of some kind of referee or scoreboard to determine who is and isn't a "real gamer." Do you log into Steam and play a video game and not act like an rear end while you do it? You're cool.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Cygni posted:

... i guess in the end other than the internet casino part, none of that is actually surprising at all?

"It is true, but it is also a shame to have said it." Reddit feeds on outrage and scandal.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Honestly, I can't get on the "gently caress FCON" train. Sure, they're silly and strange. But they haven't backstabbed us like CO2. They haven't hosed off to NPC null to ride bikes like SMA.

OTOH, I really wish they'd do Burn Jita with us... and Sour Namy is at the top of a very short list of FCs that I will never fly with.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Eh, not really. Mine is less :shobon: newbie and more "I haven't been hating myself enough for the last year, so I resubbed to eve. Whats new?" I'd guess the caldari one is trash since the destroyer its based off of is pretty bad, but a man can dream. Don't care, gonna buy one anyways because I love its paint scheme.

Ironically, if you're doing swag smallgang poo poo, the Caldari one is the best one because it has the CPU to fit an expanded probe launcher.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

I remember realegan, I thought that guy was on our side? Infact he was a top FC wasn't he? Why is he all grr now?

Those aren't Reagalan quotes. HΤH.

Siets posted:

I hope Flanders isn't burning out. Haven't seen him post in awhile. :(

1) I take occasional breaks from Eve (including this thread) precisely so that I don't burn out. Happens in times of both war and peace.
2) Very busy IRL atm.

I've been checking in once every couple days just to read VideoGames' posts. :shobon:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

VideoGames posted:

What is huffing? Is that just travelling through space and absorbing gasses? People keep saying vespene in chat, so I am guessing it is one of those needed commodities.

I just did the third mission and got given a second venture. I sold him on his merry way! Rock for life!

Yep! There are three different types of resources in space that you can mine using a ship: Asteroids, ice fields, and gas clouds. Of those three, the Venture can do rocks and gas -- in fact, it's tied with the Prospect for being the most efficient gas mining ship in the game today.

Ice and gas don't spawn in fixed locations like asteroid belts; you have to search for them and find them using a scanner. Unfortunately, the types of gas that spawn in highsec and other known space (mykoserocin and cytoserocin) aren't very profitable. The really profitable gas is Fullerene gas, which is only found in J-space anomalies.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

speak for yourself, tallardar has remained a rock of "oh my god the people im stuck with are so loving stupid"

Few things are funnier than watching him visibly cringe on r/eve when those gullible fucks bit down on the HVAC tweets. (Seriously, ffs)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Using a super in a small fight is fun when you have little to no backup and you might die. Also, cute animals are awesome.

It's about to get better too -- they're adding light fighters (good against cruisers) and support fighters that do heavy pointing/webbing/neuting. also, T2 fighters.

Also, don't gas the thread, but cleanup on aisle 3.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/HilmarVeigar/status/720674341013295104

When Jeffraider tells you "don't go there," you've probably done something extraordinarily stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Wyatt Derp posted:

For some reason I am having trouble flying the seige fleet bomber. I either have to offline a BCS or my bombs in order to fly it.

I have cov ops at 3 and am training to 4.
What skill should I train or what skills am I missing that I should train in order to fly it?

Here is my current skill sheet http://eveboard.com/pilot/Michael%20Fye/

That's normal -- the bomb launcher is what's giving you problems, and it's supposed to be offline by default.

You keep the bombs offline until the FC calls for them -- you'll be expected to turn off one BCS if you do a bombing run. (BCSes don't affect bombs, anyways.) After you're done bombing, you'll offline the bomb launcher, re-online the BCS, and go back to shooting towers / newbeans / whatev.

• Locked thread