Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just watch, IDW will exclusively have rights to characters created by Sega... and Penders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Just watch, IDW will exclusively have rights to characters created by Sega... and Penders.

Just make legally-distinct-but-still-similar versions of Penders' stuff, like Julia-shu, the Echidna with bio-mechanical dreadlocks, formerly part of the Shade League.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You see, Julie-Su the Echidna is completely different from Julie-Su the Echyd'nya.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am JULIE-SU a flesh-and-steel freedchidna on the land;; and your Human court has no jurisdiction on me;

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Penders would still get Sue-happy, remember he tried to sue Bioware, EA and Sega over Sonic Chronicles because "SHADE IS CLEARLY JULIE-SU"

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Panic Restaurant posted:

All I recall of the Dreamwave Mega Man comic is that it wasn't very good, used mostly original character do not steal robot masters, and had the most hideous depiction of Roll I've ever seen on one of its covers:

Is anyone else reminded of No More Heroes by this?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TheObserver posted:

Is anyone else reminded of No More Heroes by this?

No, No More Heroes was good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Panic Restaurant posted:

All I recall of the Dreamwave Mega Man comic is that it wasn't very good, used mostly original character do not steal robot masters, and had the most hideous depiction of Roll I've ever seen on one of its covers:

I think the Brazilian Mega Man comic is worse.
And definitely unpostable.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I took a break after the reboot but recently started back up again. I'm a little bit past the second Mega Man crossover and I'm more or less a fan of everything. Pretty much all the new guys like Relic, Gold, and the Egg Bosses are fun newcomers (minus the ones who already existed), I actually rather liked the ocean-dwellers of this continuity (sure as hell couldn't be bothered to do more than skim past anything featuring the losers in the old stuff), and a Sonic the Fighters tournament arc in the middle of this big Sonic Unleashed mega-arc was pretty fantastic. Shame the whole attempt only lasted 40 or so issues, I'm kind of relieved to be almost at the end but at the same time I obviously wish it were still going. I'm hoping the IDW run doesn't wind up getting too closely managed by Sega, I can see them easily kneecapping the fun potential just so they can keep things under control to try and avoid a repeat of all the various Archie shenanigans.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've stated they have less restrictions than Archie this time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We can finally see Sonic's extensive family tree, all of whom look exactly like him except with hairpieces and different outfits and cybernetic hair.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

They've stated they have less restrictions than Archie this time.

Where did they say that? Not saying you're wrong, just haven't seen that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hrm. nevermind. I misremembered a bit from the Q&A.

quote:

- SEGA does impose certain “restrictions” on the characters, but the comics allow for the freedom to do things they can’t do in the games. Primary job is to “tell the best stories possible”.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
From what Flynn's said in the past it's restrictions like "No one is allowed to age, Sonic can never have a girlfriend, Amy can never not be in love with him" etc

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah. honestly, it's always been reasonable, but a lot of fans exaggerated it to Sega having him by the balls.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Well hopefully they keep it that relatively easy going because I could see a scenario where they decide to be a lot more restrictive on the types of stories he and whoever he works with are allowed to make. If everything winds up being either adaptations of game events or meaningless filler with nobody outside of characters from the games ever mattering to anything, that would be pretty lame.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Say Nothing posted:

I think the Brazilian Mega Man comic is worse.
And definitely unpostable.

I am intrigued, tell me more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nuebot posted:

I am intrigued, tell me more.

X is involved and he's a casanova show off who wants to bang Roll Also it goes bumfuck crazy and ends with like, some dude who's kinda Wily but not sawing Roll's human heart out of her chest for a ritual.

You can probably find the scan's translated by looking up Novas Aventuras de Megaman. Or, better yet, don't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Onmi posted:

X is involved and he's a casanova show off who wants to bang Roll Also it goes bumfuck crazy and ends with like, some dude who's kinda Wily but not sawing Roll's human heart out of her chest for a ritual.

You can probably find the scan's translated by looking up Novas Aventuras de Megaman. Or, better yet, don't.

Don't forget that one of the writers working on the comic hated the whole Megaman concept and introduced an OC character with the intent of having her kill all the Megaman characters and hijack the book to be her own, but said writer got caught and fired before they could do it(which is one of the reasons it got canceled)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The whole thing kind of looks like it was drawn and scripted by deviantart.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah it doesn't look like a professional project at all. It looks like something drawn by a high school student. :psyduck:

Binaroid
May 4, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Yeah it doesn't look like a professional project at all. It looks like something drawn by a high school student. :psyduck:

I thought that the publisher was using the title as a showcase for new artists, explaining why the art style kept changing every issue. So that was probably about the tier of talent they were bringing in (especially since it was older than Deviantart itself).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If they're going to reboot the Sonic comic, they might as well go back to Sonic 1 and just go from there. Kind of like what they did with the Archie Mega Man comic. I liked it when Archie revisited the classic games in Sonic Genesis and the very last arc before getting canceled, but sadly they were just kind of snippets from each game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've already said that the book is going to focus on Modern Sonic, with occasional bits and inspiration taken from Classic and Boom.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Ironically Hernandez and Stanley both used to be very active on DA. (I think Stanley's fan comic is still going, actually)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

here's some pages from an unreleased issue that was supposed to focus on Antoine.

there are other pages out there that had a figure who looked like Excalibur Sonic on them but I can't find them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

here's some pages from an unreleased issue that was supposed to focus on Antoine.

there are other pages out there that had a figure who looked like Excalibur Sonic on them but I can't find them.

https://mega.nz/#!57wD0K5Z!6mP3LOvms7sf5alelk7ksDXmetIM8FIpwyQ3R7o1j0U

It's all here, he leaked it on /co/ or /sthg/ a while ago. It also contains the issues after it for Bunnie Rabbot (Her and Blaze fight Not!Mephiles) and half the inked pages for Sally and Nicole's next outing.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 31, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bumping this to ask if anyone has a link to/was the one that made this large post about Penders and all his awful decisions and lovely personality on the forums some point kinda-semi-recently? It may have been in a thread about best/worst runs on titles, but I can’t find that anymore. It was a hilarious story (especially the bit where a long-running Tails storyline ends with him becoming like a steroid monster with superbreath) and I’d love to see it again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Bumping this to ask if anyone has a link to/was the one that made this large post about Penders and all his awful decisions and lovely personality on the forums some point kinda-semi-recently? It may have been in a thread about best/worst runs on titles, but I can’t find that anymore. It was a hilarious story (especially the bit where a long-running Tails storyline ends with him becoming like a steroid monster with superbreath) and I’d love to see it again.

He became a steroid monster, but he didn't have superbreath; he created a gigantic fan with his tails. I mean, seriously, Superbreath would've been silly. :v:

The post you seek is somewhere in this thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, it's launching in April! No preview art yet.

Also, probably not going to surprise anybody, but everything Archie Sonic has been yanked from comiXology's store and listings entirely, except of course for whatever's in your own libraries. Oddly enough, Mega Man and the Worlds Collide books are still available for sale; guess Capcom played ball. Sucks for anyone who still may want to give them money to check out the longest-running video game comic ever made.

Of course, it could be a temporary thing subject to some contract kerfuffle (not likely considering the implied bitterness between the two parties and the so very abrupt end of it all).

Or it could turn into a TMNT situation, where IDW/Nickelodeon now publish collections of the old Archie series, with all traces of Archie Publications scrubbed out. Of course, that still leaves IDW with a shitload of...well, poo poo from the Penders-and-Gabrie-gone-wild era.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They will no doubt repack the old stuff into non lovely physical collections and then a new digital push as well.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

This is weirdly, newly relevant.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Archie Sonic stuff still seems available in the Kobo store so any Canadians out there with a hankering can still grab it before it gets disappeared.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've no loving clue what's going on with Archie anymore. Like, I was quite into that Josie and Pussycats reboot, and then one day noticed there hadn't been a new issue in like four months and to this day, nada, not even an official cancelation note. And all this after mere nine issues. :wtc:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I've no loving clue what's going on with Archie anymore. Like, I was quite into that Josie and Pussycats reboot, and then one day noticed there hadn't been a new issue in like four months and to this day, nada, not even an official cancelation note. And all this after mere nine issues. :wtc:

Incredibly hosed up financial situations, a much needed Kickstarter falling through because people didn't understand why they needed it, and people heckling it, legal troubles everywhere, and finally getting a TV show that seems to work, thus pumping the money they had that direction.

I mean, Archie has gone through some hosed up poo poo lately.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
So if it weren't for Riverdale and its big ratings, Archie would've been bought out or bankrupt by now despite being seemingly doing better than ever a few years ago when Afterlife and Kevin Keller were bringing them the most and best publicity they'd had in years

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 23, 2018

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They also cancelled a Dick Tracy series before it launched due to licencing issues. Though that doesn't sound like it was Archie's fault.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/archie-comics-new-dick-tracy-series-has-been-abruptly-c-1822128370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Agent Escalus posted:

So if it weren't for Riverdale and its big ratings, Archie would've been bought out or bankrupt by now despite being seemingly doing better than ever a few years ago when Afterlife and Kevin Keller were bringing them the most and best publicity they'd had in years

:iiam:

• Locked thread