Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Another sign that either Capcom definitely played ball with them or their contract was in Archie's favor to keep selling the goods: there's a "Massive Archie Sale" on comiXology this weekend - and the 8 Mega Man trades (up to issue 36) are included, but not the singles nor anything Sonic-related, including the crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got a new character for IDW Sonic.

Tangle the Lemur
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/01/24/sonic-the-hedgehogs-newest-ally-is-tangle-the-ring-tailed-lemur

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/SonicNewsToday/status/956184858937700356

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Methinks someone's bitter than most that (in all likelihood) the start of the IDW series appears to be the true and absolute end of the Freedom Fighter/Knothole crew. ( :( )

On a happier note, Sonic's actually made the cover of Diamond Previews! Granted it's the back cover, but even so, that's a pretty significant first; Archie's Sonic titles never really got much in the way of coverage in the industry, even when they were the highest-selling Archie monthly. (I don't recall Archie doing much to try and promote it either.)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Agent Escalus posted:

On a happier note, Sonic's actually made the cover of Diamond Previews! Granted it's the back cover, but even so, that's a pretty significant first; Archie's Sonic titles never really got much in the way of coverage in the industry, even when they were the highest-selling Archie monthly. (I don't recall Archie doing much to try and promote it either.)

Does "shipping weekly" mean there'll be a new issue every week? I'm not up on the lingo.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, it's launching in April! No preview art yet.

Also, probably not going to surprise anybody, but everything Archie Sonic has been yanked from comiXology's store and listings entirely, except of course for whatever's in your own libraries. Oddly enough, Mega Man and the Worlds Collide books are still available for sale; guess Capcom played ball. Sucks for anyone who still may want to give them money to check out the longest-running video game comic ever made.

Of course, it could be a temporary thing subject to some contract kerfuffle (not likely considering the implied bitterness between the two parties and the so very abrupt end of it all).

Or it could turn into a TMNT situation, where IDW/Nickelodeon now publish collections of the old Archie series, with all traces of Archie Publications scrubbed out. Of course, that still leaves IDW with a shitload of...well, poo poo from the Penders-and-Gabrie-gone-wild era.

Between having old issues and the library I've read them all over the years, but I still wish I'd had the money to buy these while they were available. Hopefully they come back in some form or another.

Agent Escalus posted:

Methinks someone's bitter than most that (in all likelihood) the start of the IDW series appears to be the true and absolute end of the Freedom Fighter/Knothole crew. ( :( )

Aw, that's a shame. I was hoping that at least the original Freedom Fighters would get to stick around, seeing as the new ones and the Egg Bosses are even more likely to get the boot. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't suppose someone could change the topic's title to a more general one for Sonic comics? I could make a new OP to go with it, tho I'm not gonna be able to post much on SA anymore.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Agent Rush posted:

Between having old issues and the library I've read them all over the years, but I still wish I'd had the money to buy these while they were available. Hopefully they come back in some form or another.

Aw, that's a shame. I was hoping that at least the original Freedom Fighters would get to stick around, seeing as the new ones and the Egg Bosses are even more likely to get the boot. :(

Well, both of those are up to Sega. But keep in mind, as previously posted: when they did the reboot, Ian really had to struggle to convince Sega to allow them to keep the Knothole stuff in the new continuity because Sega wanted them to leave all that behind and use the game franchise's always-expanding roster and settings. It's not like they ever did much in the way of exploiting those characters for merch and stuff anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

drat you, that almost made me spit out my breakfast.

My sense of humor isn't very refined you see.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Plom Bar posted:

Does "shipping weekly" mean there'll be a new issue every week? I'm not up on the lingo.

April will have 4 issues released weekly: the comic switches back to monthly with issue 5 in May

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog Shows Us De Way"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Legal Troubles are No Good"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - True Blue Round Two"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Still More Hype Than Sonic Forces"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Probably Related to Transformers Somehow"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, maybe let's not make a new thread title that references a racist meme

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - You're Nobody in this Biz Unless You've Been Rebooted at Least Twice"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's nice to see that ABT and Evan are among the returning artists and Herms is on colors: I hope Skelly comes back too

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Zoboomafoo's Revenge"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Gotta Post Fast"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Now With 100% Less Echyd'nya

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

yeah, maybe let's not make a new thread title that references a racist meme

Yeah, that may've been bad taste, my bad.

"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Aw yeah, this is happenin'!"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Everybody's Super Sonic Reading"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - Collect Fifty Rings to Post"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - OC Appreciation Station"
"IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog - And Knuckles!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kurui Reiten posted:

Winner

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kurui Reiten posted:

Everybody's Super Sonic Reading

Was that the sequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yeah I go for this one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://kotaku.com/meet-rough-and-tumble-two-brand-new-sonic-comic-villai-1823070013

so here are the two new bad guys IDW is adding, Rough and Tumble. They're skunks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

https://kotaku.com/meet-rough-and-tumble-two-brand-new-sonic-comic-villai-1823070013

so here are the two new bad guys IDW is adding, Rough and Tumble. They're skunks.

Decently intimidating will make good mercenary henchmen. Though I hope they don't entirely take over the role of the Hooligans who as game characters can also make a return.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Decently intimidating will make good mercenary henchmen. Though I hope they don't entirely take over the role of the Hooligans who as game characters can also make a return.

If anything, they'll probably end up as members of Team Hooligan unless they're more closely working with Eggman or some other villain.

Also, maybe I just missed it but is there a thread for Archie's Mega Man? I finally finished the issues that hadn't been collected in graphic novels, it's such a shame it ended when it did.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Since they released an early convention version of issue 1, there have been screenshots of the first issue circulating: it looks good

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Since they released an early convention version of issue 1, there have been screenshots of the first issue circulating: it looks good

I hope it does well - but I learned my lesson from IDW TMNT.

I'll wait for the hardback collections.

I wonder if IDW would be able to get the rights to reprint the UK fleetway comics. I'm assuming no but it would be loving rad if they did.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm probably going to spend the money on individual Sonic issues, and consider the collections later. I normally don't, but I want to do my part to make sure the comic sticks around.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Having read the first issue now, it's Pretty alright, it's very much an Issue #1, more focused on establishing a foot for the setting, Sonic and Tails rather than throwing people into craziness.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

MrFlibble posted:

I hope it does well - but I learned my lesson from IDW TMNT.

I'll wait for the hardback collections.

Because you don't have to wait too long for them and they go on sale rather often?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Agent Escalus posted:

Because you don't have to wait too long for them and they go on sale rather often?

Because they're high quality and collect the entire series - including any mini-series apart from the main numbered issues - in reading order.

Its also a really good series so I don't regret having the equivalent of 3 copies of the first twelve issues and 2 copies right up to issue 40.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
So I see this heading two different ways: either they try to retell the games, which Ian already did, or they come up with new stories, which will be awful. It's a no-win scenario, the best kind!

I hope everyone involved has kept their resumes up to date.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You're right, nobody, especially in this thread liked the new story stuff Ian did in the Archie comic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You're right, this comic will be super-successful despite having the exact same writer and most of the same artists it did when it got cancelled minus the decade-plus fans of the original comic.

It'll last, like, a year.

Edit: I should mention that I like most of Ian's stuff, though his gratuitous pop culture and in-jokes got really grating at times and his original storylines were sometime... not so good. The "Emerald Spears" terrorist group from the Megaman comic is the worst of both of those examples.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 25, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The last comic didn't get canceled because of poor sales.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Plom Bar posted:

The last comic didn't get canceled because of poor sales.

I'm fairly sure it did, though? I know that's why Megaman got cancelled, which is a shame because Ian was doing a pretty good job of making Megaman's stupid storyline almost make sense and even injecting some honest-to-god sci-fi pathos and reflection in what's essentially Astroboy fanfiction.

Either way, if the new comic does well, good, Ian's a good writer even if he dips a bit too often into the meme pool, but you can't deny that he's stuck in a corner here. I just wish Archie had allowed him to use their old characters so he could just start where he left off.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The comic ended because Archie mismanaged the license, not because of how well it was doing. Mega Man ended because Archie didn't want to continue paying for the license.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ah! Well then, I'm glad you guys cleared that up for me! And yeah, there's no doubt Archie hosed up the license for Sonic -- there's a goddamn reason for the thread title.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

God knows what's going on with Archie, but it wasn't few sales. Mega Man and Sonic are good examples, but even their own titles like the Josie and the Pussycats reboot got canceled at about the same time without any official statement or anything. I had to ask one of the authors why their comic had apparently stopped at issue bloody 9 only to get the confirmation that it had indeed been canceled.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot, why exactly would the fans of the previous series not continue to follow the new series? If anything, I have seen increased traction of interest in the new series compared to the old one from fans who had previously ignored or held back on the archie comics. I understand the comics industry as a whole has a mess of problems with sales due to a number of factors, but you can't keep up this mindless pessimism.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikedawson posted:

but you can't keep up this mindless pessimism.

Particularly over topics he clearly knows nothing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm shocked that Archie comics managed to make it out of 2016. They owe everyone money and they did everything they could to get retailers to not carry their books.

• Locked thread