Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

New Sonic Universe is out. Anyone wanna discuss it?

Eggman's still plenty creepy. I liked what we learned about the new Egg Bosses. Tundra, aka Rotor's dad seems rather interesting the more we learn about him.

Honestly I'd prefer to know more about Thunderbolt and Maw, they seem to be the only true believers in the lot and Eggman doesn't really have much in way of idealolgy outside of "robots" so it would have to be deeply personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maw seems interesting, yes. Mind you, I expect Eggman fed him a crock of lies.

Thunderbolt is basically Ivo's Harley Quinn at this point. She's hilarious. I wanna know what brought her to where she is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like that it wasn't just "All the teams are dysfunctional."

Also Axel being with Eggman because "Well I have an odd-number amount of bosses, going to have to fix that."

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I picked it up the other day, starting in the middle of the story was less annoying than I thought it would be. I'd definitely say that going with individuals working under Eggman for their own reasons instead of robots is a big improvement.

EDIT: Does anyone here have a physical subscription with Archie, or do you just get them digitally?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 2, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I went back to read after the restart and I forgot just how much of a fun maniac Omega is.

"Shadow, if (you fighting us) is a clever ruse, you are to cease immediately." :allears:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 7, 2016

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, comic Omega is pretty fantastic. I especially enjoyed his interactions with Shadow after incorporating Gamma's memories, and blowing Napalm Man apart during Worlds Collide. :allears:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Eggman has the stupid drill tank from Sonic 2. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

legoman727 posted:

Eggman has the stupid drill tank from Sonic 2. :allears:

It's just as effective, too!

That said, woof at Eggman's method of keeping his Generals in line. It's hilarious how much Flynn and Co. get away with as far painting the good doc as a complete s.o.b. is concerned sometimes.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 11, 2016

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
I haven't read this comic since my subscription lapse in 6th grade and I'm not going to pick it up again, but after seeing this topic a name popped up in my mind that I haven't thought about in probably a decade. So I checked out website that I remember from long long ago

I see Dan Drazen ragequit reviewing the comics!!!! Truly an age for the Sonic Comics has ended

Good job Ian Flynn(I mean this unironically)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dan Drazen was a pretentious yoink.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never heard of Dan Drazen but I sort of feel like I should have. What's the story with him?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Just an old probably crazy guy who was one of the more visible people talking about the comics back in the Web1.0 days, specifically reviewing each issue. I remember visiting his site in the mid-90s, and when my subscription lapsed I checked by every now again to see where the story line was heading
I'm not going to really check into it too much but I guess he didn't take the Penders purge well. I think Ian Flynn posted here once many years ago that he was sending a lot of hate his way

But yeah, a pretentious yoink who was of no consequence unless you were checking the web for Sonic the Comic webpages in 1995

Sorry for the derail. My first issue was 10, where the freedom fighters were caught in an energy dome until they were saved by the Nerbs. Thank you and namaste

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Ohhh boy, I remember my first issue. It had green Knuckles and Dimitri going 'WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!'

That was an amazing introduction to the comics all right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the first issue of STC I read (#132, where the lead strip was the second part in a two-part story and the back-ups were a Tails solo story*, an Amy solo story which involved one of the recurring original characters, and the last ever Decap Attack strip, which was also part two in a two-part story, so I didn't have a clue what was happening). I think the first American one I saw was one which had Sonic and Tails fighting one of the various Metal Sonics in Station Square immediately after the Sonic Adventure adaptation, where the cover was set out like a fighting game with health bars and such. I saw it in a convenience store when I was in America on a family holiday, maybe circa 1998, and it was then about six years or so before I read another issue of it.

* This Tails story is pretty out-there - it has Tails meeting a cat called Cat O' Three-Tails, whose ability to do three tasks at once (painting a fence, cleaning a window, unclogging a sink) makes the local tradesmen fear for their jobs, so plumber rings up a robot hire service (called "Mike O' Chips Hire-A-Bot"), hires a killer robot and sets it on the cat, who reveals that all three of his tails are actually artificial, that his real name is Tom Manx, and he started wearing fake tails because he had tail-envy of Tails.

A lot of those Lew Stringer back-up strips are great. Some fall pretty flat ("Bravehog", "Amy's Secret Past" et al.), but there were a lot of fun ideas in them. He did this long storyline where Amy Rose and Tekno the Canary (one of his original characters) travel to all of these far-off worlds and other dimensions, one of which has them journeying back in time to learn that evolution was triggered by dinosaurs in spacesuits who are implied to work for God pump proteins into the primordial soup from a tank labelled "42".

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 11, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic #281 is out.

Main story:

- We're introduced to Dulcy and her Chun-nan freedom fighter team; Jian the Tiger, a former Egg Soldier, Bunker the Tortoise, a shrine matron, and Cinder the Pheasant. Together they're a homage to the "four gods", aka the dragon, the white tiger, the tortoise, and the phoenix.
- Chun-nan has different clans like the Dragon Kingdom pre-reboot, with the feuding and over-reliance on tradition being what forced Dulcy to run away from home. We get a flashback to her meeting Sonic, Tails, and Sally on Westside Island. Flashback Sonic and Tails are in their classic designs.
- Conquering Storm has set up a base outside the Gaia Temple, where the Gaia Key Guardian is attempting to sneak in; C.S. says they should let them both through their defenses, thinking they'll all be destroyed by the corrupted Dark Gaia Phoenix inside.

Back-Up story:

- Focuses on Tails and Bunnie, with them trying to get a new Gaia Key from its guardian in Adabat. They help the guardian restore his faith after his family's home has been destroyed, with Bunnie telling him her own backstory about how she was found as an orphan, and how she came to befriend Tails. A lesson about family is learned (tm).
- They contact Knuckles and Amy, who are working together to find Master Emerald shards. Last page shows they're about to team up with Mighty, Ray, and Moss the Sloth.

A pretty good issue all around. More world building and backstory is shared, and the new characters are interesting enough.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So if you ever wanted to dive into Sonic The Hedgehog, Humble Bundle has you covered with not only a fairly neat Sonic Game Bundle ($10 gets you practically, if not every, sonic game released on Steam) but a nuts Sonic Comic bundle ($15 nets you, I think, just about every complete New 252 story line (Both Main Line and Universe (Minus Worlds Colide/Unite), Genesis, Game adaptions, and the first four issues of Sonic Boom, totalling just shy of $300 worth of comics).

I could think of worse ways to spend $25.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How much do you think a person with fond nostalgia for SatAM and an enjoyment of all-ages books would like this bundle, and is it definitely a good jumping on point? Any reading order issues?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Issue 252 is the first issue in the rebooted universe, so that's an excellent jumping on point.

Also, gently caress that's an excellent bundle. It looks like it includes almost everything from the reboot to very recently. Even has the entirety of the recent Sonic Universe arc that just wrapped-up last issue. Only thing missing that I can see is the Sonic & Mega Man/Sega & Capcom crossover (which was crap, IMO).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

How much do you think a person with fond nostalgia for SatAM and an enjoyment of all-ages books would like this bundle, and is it definitely a good jumping on point? Any reading order issues?

I'd say go for it. The slate was more or less wiped clean with #252.

Basically you can start from #252 and Universe: Treasure Team Tango without any problems. If this bundle has everything bar the crossover stuff then it will have all the info on where the SatAM characters sit in the new continuity that Archie's released.

The only issues that sit outside of the New 252 continuity (from what I saw and recall) are the Genesis arc (225 - 229) which was a four issue arc retelling Sonic 1&2 with the SatAM cast in it to celebrate the comic milestone and Sonic's 20th (and some set up for the abandoned Metal Sally arc) and the really good Trouble in Paradise arc (Universe 14-18) that adapts Tails' Adventure.

Oh and Sonic Boom is it's own thing and doesn't interact with the main storyline at all. You get like three quarters of that too as Archie's pulled the plug on it with issue 11 alongside Megaman.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
I remember being a fan of Sonic, having the Archie comics firmly in my peripheral but not ever actively trying to find and read any of them. Part of that was a lack of any available income, being like, ten. Though part of that was also being baffled about the bits and pieces I heard, even as a kid. They killed Robotnik? But he's back, but a robot?? Love triangles?? A million echidnas??? ??

But anyway, I dropped $15 on that comics bundle, so I guess I'll sink my teeth into these sometime this weekend. :confuoot:

Outside of that bundle, I've also picked up the Mega Drive issue. It's cute and scratches that nostalgic itch for the older games, but also has the best two pages:

:allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dreamy Souffle posted:

I remember being a fan of Sonic, having the Archie comics firmly in my peripheral but not ever actively trying to find and read any of them. Part of that was a lack of any available income, being like, ten. Though part of that was also being baffled about the bits and pieces I heard, even as a kid. They killed Robotnik? But he's back, but a robot?? Love triangles?? A million echidnas??? ??

But anyway, I dropped $15 on that comics bundle, so I guess I'll sink my teeth into these sometime this weekend. :confuoot:

Outside of that bundle, I've also picked up the Mega Drive issue. It's cute and scratches that nostalgic itch for the older games, but also has the best two pages:

I'm so sorry for what you're going to dig in to.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Onmi posted:

I'm so sorry for what you're going to dig in to.

IIRC the recent Humble Bundle collection was most of the post-reboot storyline plus a handful of still-semi-relevant pre-reboot Universe arcs like Treasure Team Tango and the Tails' Adventure storyline, so they've got some pretty solid stuff to read.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 9, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

IIRC the recent Humble Bundle collection was most of the post-reboot storyline plus a handful of still-semi-relevant pre-reboot Universe arcs like Treasure Team Tango and the Tails' Adventure storyline, so they've got some pretty solid stuff to read.

I got the wrong implications from that then.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Oh man I thought that art looked familiar and then I googled and what do you know it's Tyson Hesse. Good for him, now he's getting paid to make fun of Sonic

(If you haven't seen his... ahem... nonprofessional Sonic work, it's pretty great)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

From the latest Sonic Comic

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hah, nice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I've certainly sucked at keeping this thread updated.

We've come to the end of the Shattered World Crisis with the finale of "Panic in the Sky" and "Shattered" in the main book and Sonic Universe. I have to say, while the arc got kind of by the numbers with its "go to new location and meet new Freedom Fighter group" sometimes, it did its job of seeding the comic with new characters and stories to replace what came before. And, honestly, I think Ian managed to stick the landing with Chip; apparently, Ian wasn't allowed to diverge from his story as much, but I think he did good by doing what he could in showing that Chip grew and came to appreciate the world not just from spending time with Sonic, but all the Freedom Fighters and Knuckles as well. I was tearing up a bit in those final pages.

"Shattered" was a great conclusion for Knuckles' storyline amidst this, and Ian did a particularly good job developing Knuckles' interaction with both Team Dark and Amy. This isn't something you see a lot in the games, and Shadow and Knuckles are such an obvious point of comparison and contrast. What's more, seeing Amy bond with someone who isn't just Sonic is also nice to see. Not to mention, even if the storyline has changed, it's good to finally see Naugus get what's coming to him after getting off scott free again and again in two different realities.

What's on the horizon? We've got "Genesis of a Hero" which is another anniversary story covering the original games. Seeing as how we've already had "Genesis" a few years ago I'm a bit nervous about retreading old ground, but seeing as how it's an anniversary year and Sega is pushing Classic Sonic, it's to be somewhat expected. I hope Ian can find a new way to tell it in the context of the comic.

I should really see about updating the opening post.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and the OP is updated with updated info, more relevant characters, link descriptions, and all current upcoming issues.

Yay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ian was on /sthg/ on /vg/ and answered a bunch of questions usually with "Knowing Smile" if someone correctly guessed at an idea he had planned. The new Anniversary arc is more establishing the origin of the new universe and the characters within its backstories, using the framework of the original games. Less... what Genesis was.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I don't really have an attachment to the Genesis games so the throwback arcs aren't my favorite (the art in them is really nice though). Chaotix arcs are my favorite, though, so I'm really looking forward to the next few months of Universe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New covers.

The Universe variant is brilliant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Misread the watermark on the one on the right as "Penders licensing approved".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

no

bad

go to your room and think of what you've done

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Sonic Universe is out. It's a good one; I enjoyed the world building with Meropis in the main book, so I was glad to see more of that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Finally decided to start reading the comics again post reboot. Really fun (also there's been new issues out since this thread was last bumped)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Been reading it myself and enjoying it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and I need to update the opening post again. Hahahaha...

I'll do that in a few days.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/803521132519301120

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur