Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veotax
May 16, 2006

As a new reader I kinda' appreciate the reboot, I only started reading at Worlds Collide. It was such a neatly told story that it was super easy to get into as someone who hadn't read either comic, sticking to game characters and excising comic characters from both universes was a great idea. Got me into reading both Sonic and Mega Man after that.

I grew up reading the UK comics, never gave much of a thought to the US ones. Only rolling my eyes when I heard the kind of poo poo that Penders was doing. I'm sure if I went back over the UK comics plenty of it will seem dumb now, but the US comics back then sound like a special kind of bullshit. My favourite comparison between the two is how they handled Eggman's re-design in Sonic Adventure, Archie had some weird sounding storyline about him dying and coming back as a robot, while Fleetway just had him put on a new coat.

Anyway, enough making GBS threads on old Archie, I really like these comics.

Worlds Unite sucked though. Utter waste of four months of Mega Man and Sonic Boom before they ended.

EDIT: I mean, I probably would have started reading StH without the reboot anyway (although, not from issue #1 like I did Mega Man) but the reboot made it super easy to get into.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

I think one of the reasons Fleetway got away with so much is that, in the end, Sega UK just didn't give a poo poo. Comics have always been a pretty different business in Europe than in America, style-wise and format-wise. Meanwhile, Archie was able to get away with some stuff story-wise, but Sega was hardcore "THIS IS WHAT THE CHARACTER LOOKS LIKE FOR MARKETING PURPOSES NOW, FIX IT", to keep poo poo on-model.

Yeah, as much as I like the Robotnik design from the end of StC, I suppose you probably couldn't remotely describe him as 'on-model'.

Although the Sonic Adventure adaptation was the last story the comic told before going into reruns until it was cancelled so maybe they didn't care about being on-model. It also had almost nothing to do with Sonic Adventure other than having Chaos (who had a completely different origin from the game version) and Sonic took a brief diversion to the past and met Tikal and the ancient Echidnas (and also Knuckles, adding to the mystery of what happened to StC's Enhidnas and making me wonder how far in advance the writers knew about the cancellation).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was finding it odd that they were doing an adaptation of Unleashed nearly eight years after release, but now that you mention it the globe-trotting nature of the game does make for a pretty good excuse toy explore and establish the new world post-reboot.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The planet seems to be unnamed, it's just generically referred to as "Sonic's world".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That is pretty weird, but then they canonized Honey the Cat which is amazing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That would be Pirate Plunder Panic, first post Worlds Collide/reboot SU arc.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Issue 252 is the first issue in the rebooted universe, so that's an excellent jumping on point.

Also, gently caress that's an excellent bundle. It looks like it includes almost everything from the reboot to very recently. Even has the entirety of the recent Sonic Universe arc that just wrapped-up last issue. Only thing missing that I can see is the Sonic & Mega Man/Sega & Capcom crossover (which was crap, IMO).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a shame that it's starting from zero, I really liked the post-reboot universe but I see the logic in it and I don't disagree.

With Flynn coming back I'm definitely on board though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They also cancelled a Dick Tracy series before it launched due to licencing issues. Though that doesn't sound like it was Archie's fault.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/archie-comics-new-dick-tracy-series-has-been-abruptly-c-1822128370

• Locked thread