Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man this thread's notifications be buggin' out.

Looking forward to being able to pick up more than one hunt. Do we know if there's going to be an arbitrary limit on it or what?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

Man this thread's notifications be buggin' out.

Looking forward to being able to pick up more than one hunt. Do we know if there's going to be an arbitrary limit on it or what?

I hope it's infinite. I may pick up the game again if so

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What the gently caress is going on with this threads notifications

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Before I posted on this page it said that this page didn't exist so I'm assuming it's the problem where zdr posted in here at some point because there was some problem with his posts disappearing and screwing up post counts or something like that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's super obnoxious mods pls fix

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if we wait a year they'll eventually fix the thread, as long as you buy the account upgrade for it

page 130 is still gonna suck, though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Probably the zen death robot problem. Best solution is to start a new thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phantasium posted:

page 130 is still gonna suck, though

I read page 130 after the patches so I'm good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just craft magic grenades like someone else said. I'm almost certain that's what they were designed for.

Seems like it. Magic is clunky and crap to use otherwise.

Speaking of clunky, that is how I'd describe the combat. I'd even say it's quite bad. Your dodge is really garbage and doesn't give you any distance. The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button. I get more compelling combat from XIV. They should have made it more like a traditional 3rd person action game rather than whatever this is. I usually spam my warp strike in hopes I end up in a place where I can get an idea of what the hell is going on. I should probably play in that other combat mode since the default is really bad.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Jimbot posted:

Seems like it. Magic is clunky and crap to use otherwise.

Speaking of clunky, that is how I'd describe the combat. I'd even say it's quite bad. Your dodge is really garbage and doesn't give you any distance. The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button. I get more compelling combat from XIV. They should have made it more like a traditional 3rd person action game rather than whatever this is. I usually spam my warp strike in hopes I end up in a place where I can get an idea of what the hell is going on. I should probably play in that other combat mode since the default is really bad.

Facetank everything and pop potions. Success!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FF has had a real problem trying to find a middle ground between a classic RPG an an action game. They really just need to get like, Platinum to make their games from now on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm in the ice caves getting this worthless royal arms weapon I'm never going to use and this is the most frustrating and infuriating loving area I've had to slog through in any game I've played in at least 10 years. Not only are the fights lovely because the camera is bad but because the things are so goddamn narrow you fall off the walk-ways and have to trek all the way through this poo poo.

gently caress whoever designed this area.

And why the flying gently caress do you automatically walk in these stupid dungeons? Analogue controls have been a thing for 20 years, if people want to walk, program it into the position of the stick.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jimbot posted:

The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button.

I'm not glancing over your other gripes or anything, but you know you can just hold the evade button to automatically dodge, right? I didn't realize it at first either. FFXV's battle system is way more basic than it looks, when attacking or dodging you don't actually have to mash the button or time your presses or anything, you just hold it and the game just automatically does poo poo for you. The most influence you have is when to hit the button, or in the case of attacking, moving the left stick in different directions to do different chains of moves. As long as you have MP you can kind of just hold dodge and evade way more stuff than you'd think.

Also nthing the "just use magic" advice. Just throw whatever you have into a giant heap to get the magic power as high as possible. Magic is literally an "I win this encounter" button for most fights basically every fight in the game

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Flytrap posted:

FF has had a real problem trying to find a middle ground between a classic RPG an an action game. They really just need to get like, Platinum to make their games from now on.

That's what grinds my gear the most. I love old-school time or turn-based systems, I'm all over that poo poo. To get an RPG-action system working well is not an easy task, and certainly not one the FF15 team was qualified to meet.

Also why I have no confidence in the FF7 remake.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looking past all my bitching posted during the hair-tearing ice dungeon for a weapon I'm never going to use, the first thing I said about it being an open world game made by aliens who saw a youtube video of an open world game is probably the best description I can give the gameplay systems and overall design of this game. They even do the small details awkwardly.

In Red Dead Redemption, you could press a button and greet anyone you meet. In this game, you can greet people who greet you but instead of it being a little thing that doesn't break the flow of your movement, you stop dead-cold in your tracks to wave and cannot move until the animation ends. It is the most bizarrely fascinating game I've played when I'm not fuming over the bad combat. Who thought that's how you do a simple greet in an open world with a nameless NPC you'll never know anything about? Combat is like-wise bizarre. It puts a strong emphasis on animation priority but its encounter design is to throw a bunch of poo poo at you without giving you any tell-tale signs that an enemy is going to attack you and it usually comes out of nowhere without giving you time to react. You hold down dodge to automatically dodge attacks, but they come so fast and without warning, you either have to hold it down forever and avoid the attacks or face-tank them, there is no dodging attacks and anything you dodge is pure coincidence. There's no timing to be had. Only against big enemies and one-on-one encounters can you, at least, get a sense of what is going on, even then everything I've encounter so far has at least a few attacks that have no tells to them.

The tutorial is very misleading in this regard. You're fighting Gladious and if you dodge his attack, he stumbles a little bit and every swing has a wind-up. So you think it'd be like that through the entire game but it's the complete opposite of that.

Then in exploration, it feels like someone saw Uncharted and decided to put these little transition areas. Like shimming across ledges, or squeezing through tight spaces or ducking under things. But they serve no purpose. They don't appear to hide loading times or separate the path from a combat arena or offer any kind of cinematic break in the gameplay. You do the thing and your entire team warps to the other side. Why are they here? Because Uncharted did this thing and it looked cool, despite it being out-of-place and is so awkward and slow that a normal pathway could sufficed. You can tell this game has been in development for 10 years because it has 10 years worth of spit-balled ideas that the director and/or design team saw in games at the time and put in their game. Then they left it in there because it was going to be more expensive to redo those things or because they had a massive ego and what they say is what the rest of the team does.

Really, the main driving force for me right now is to see what other open world stuff they did wrong or weirdly. I heard Prompto's side-story is actually a pretty competent 3rd person shooter, so it'll be interesting to try that out and maybe multiplayer will try to salvage the combat since it seemed to replace the dodge with an actual blocking ability that may require timing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jimbot posted:

The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button.

You don't hit the button for a parry, you hold it down when the indicator pops up. I think someone already mentioned you hold dodge down to auto dodge, though this drains stamina. To dodge without losing stamina (and gain some if you bought the perk) you hit the dodge button directly before being attacked and blink through it.

That said, yeah the combat is pretty clunky but I found it fun. My biggest issue is potion management for your team when in a tough battle, it really breaks the flow opening the menu constantly to top people up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You're not supposed to face tank anything. You're supposed to hit and run. Almost every encounter should have someplace to Warp Strike to and from. Warp Strike to hit something, combo, use up your magic meter, then Warp Strike away to refill magic, repeat. Hit enemies from behind whenever possible to chain link combos and do extra damage.

You also need to use your teammate abilities that use meter. I spammed the poo poo out of those and they helped a lot.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dear mods please fix the notifications on this thread. Thank you

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Don't worry the thread will be mostly fixed with post-op content over the upcoming year or so.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FYI, both the Bloodborne thread and Negrotown had to jump ship to a new thread because the mods cant figure out what to do apparently

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The Comrades multiplayer component launches on the 15th of this month. Apparently it's free if you have the season pass.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
SE put out a youtube vid saying that FFXV pocket edition is available now, but it only shows as pre-register for me. Apparently some people were able to download it but it showed not compatible, might be a timed release issue so it may work later today. Going to be funny if the main story is told cleaner on the mobile chibi version of the game, it's supposedly being released in 10 chapters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

According to this tweet from the FFXV Twitter account, it's only supposed to be the Pre-Registration that's available today.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Don't worry the thread will be mostly fixed with post-op content over the upcoming year or so.

:vince:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the poo poo in the sky? I don’t recall that from FF15. Looks like... judges?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the poo poo in the sky? I don’t recall that from FF15. Looks like... judges?

Those General guys at the basses

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Those are your ancestors.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They represent the cut content

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Comrades should be out soon, if not already.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Can someone tell me if comrades is worth playing before i blow more bandwidth on this game they can't stop updating

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I heard good things about the beta. It's also supposed to have some World of Ruin story, I believe, so I'm going to be playing it anyway.

It's only about 8GB, not too bad. PSN is being a ho, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does it still require a Season Pass, or was that just for testing?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You can get it via the pass or on its own, I believe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Season Pass is 25 while Comrades is 20. Probably better to just get the season pass and get all those episodes with it.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
From what I read you need a PS Plus or XBL Gold account to play online. Otherwise it has a full singleplayer component where you take AI partners into combat.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

THAT'S what the dumb requirement was! PSPlus, not Season Pass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Comrades stand-alone or do I have to have FF 15 installed?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't play a lot of multiplayer games online but the hamster wheel seems real...obvious with Comrades. Since there's no real exploration and all the standard mechanics are introduced in the first 30 minutes, it seems like a pretty straightforward cycle of warp to zone, kill things, warp to hub, upgrade weapons/play dressup, unlock new hunts, repeat. Unless I'm missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The character creator is consuming my life. The weed isn't helping.

• Locked thread