Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The raindrop and meteorain spells looked pretty awesome I can't wait to see the real magic in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I kinda forgot about the warping and didn't find any additional weapons

I should probably give it another runthrough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

See, that's the kind of thing I want to see and the game should go a length to show you that you can do this and encourage it more actively.

Given the kind of poo poo you can pull off in Lightning Returns, I wouldn't be surprised to see some harder parts of the game really reward that kind of play.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The demo's alright, but I could've done without young Noctis; only getting to play around with the actual mechanics during a single fight is lame.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 31, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

univbee find me an ultimate edition

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So either this demo is awful at showing what the combat is actually like, or they've dumbed down the combat significantly since Episode Duscae. Hope it's the former! If I hadn't played the other demo then I don't think this one would have made me very interested in the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if the point of the demo was to kill hype with a really awful 20 fps romp with bad combat then they accomplished their goal with flying colors. I'm just gonna assume this was an old engine demo and combat will probably be better? can't see why they would dumb down what we saw a year ago.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
well poo poo after being out of the FF world since IX (tried X wasn't my thing)

I just went from zero to super fuckin hype at that environment trailer. like holy poo poo. it really looks like the ten years went towards building content rather than entirely being total project scrap/rebuilds

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Super No Vacancy posted:

don't worry I feel like we're getting 0

Nope. got a confirmation in the middle of class. I am getting one :).

so how bad is the demo? duscae had issues. (that loving smurf cave from hell)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just got mine too woo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I run my PS4 at 720 (my tv is one of those cheap-rear end fake 1080 sets) and have an SSD in there, so at least one or both of those really held back on the framerate issue - I didn't notice anything aside from when messing with the blocks

On the plus side, it's really pretty aside from the strong ailising, but on the downside it feels sluggish as hell. I may be spoiled by FFXIV's godly control scheme, but I'm frankly done with button mashing games.

The ground targeting for the grenades are extremely hard to pull off, you really have to struggle with the reticle to get it to find the correct distance, and the marker of where it will actually hit places form way before function. The driving is also really bad, though you can hopefully chalk that up to it being toy cars. The turning radius seems like it's about 20 car lengths, the accelleration is worse than a first gen prius, and the controls need a lot of work. For example, if you want to do a 3 point turn, holding the brake/reverse button doesn't automatically turn into reverse even after a long time of just holding the button. Even if you're just moving at the slightest crawl, you need to hold the brake button until your fully stopped, then you let go of it, then you push and hold again to actually move in reverse, all while turning at a maybe 5 degree angle since that's the best it can muster.

Sprinting is really meh, for the longest time I thought it wasn't actually doing anything at all until I finally noticed the animation difference, there's no real indicator or perceptible speed difference. After experimenting with the control it seems like it's a push button to trigger the sprint 'ability' and he keeps sprinting until the timer runs out then sprint is on a cooldown, but even now I'm not quite sure.

Swordplay is at least decentish, switching weapons mid-combo at least seems to have good animations and boosts your damage, but the problem is that it's just so boring. I know ARPGs aren't really MMOs, but it really would work a lot better if you could split up your attacks with actual swordplay abilities like any class in FFXIV rather than just having a KH mash-for-single-combo system.

Final fight was better, but it didn't really telegraph what attacks you were supposed to defend against, dodge rolling didn't work at all (did it stop being a thing post-kid?), and there was a sudden QTE that came out of absoultely nowhere in the middle of an attack. Sure, QTEs are fine for an ARPG, but the first one should have appeared during the kid tutorial section, not the first "real" fight, especially with such a short timer on the action

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How do you get the shuriken and the shield in the demo?

e: Found them, they're above the entrance to the boss area

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 1, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sentient Data posted:

I run my PS4 at 720 (my tv is one of those cheap-rear end fake 1080 sets) and have an SSD in there, so at least one or both of those really held back on the framerate issue - I didn't notice anything aside from when messing with the blocks

I run mine at 1080p and did not have framerate issues except during the blocks and the last environment, where it dropped to around 20-25 a lot. No framedrop during the first area even watching the summons so I was like "huh guess they're managing to hit that 30fps" and then well... I don't obsess over FPS but considering they said they were pushing to keep at 30FPS, it's kind of disappointing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I still can't believe the airship is their loving car. It's literally the Batmobile at this point? Are we going to name it Kit?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The car's name is Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang which, incidentally is also what the main characters do in it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Please don't make this Broad Trip gay.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Gologle posted:

Please don't make this Broad Trip gay.

You ask for impossible things.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I legitimately hope for spinoffs of this game if only to see different groups of people take more road trips throughout the world.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wacky hijinks between a Cactuar, a Chocobo, a Moogle, and a Tonberry ensue when the wrong kid is picked up at the monster airport, woOOOOoooaaaawww! Coming THIS Summer to a DLC near YOU!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I will preorder it.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Is this going to be on PC?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sanzuo posted:

Is this going to be on PC?

Signs point to yes and after release on consoles.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Signs point to yes and after release on consoles.
I can’t believe I might have to play a friggin’ Final Fantasy game on PC.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
if they take more than 10 loving years to make what could be the first good FF game in like 15 loving years

and then it plays worse than kingdom hearts 1 that weak rear end disney poo poo that's more than a decade old

this might be the biggest loving waste of time in video game history if they gently caress this up which it seems like they are

I dont care about your lame rear end phone game or louis vatton advertising or another lovely cgi movie or anime or any of that crap none of this matters if the game plays like poo poo

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
and dont say duke nukem forever either no one had any expectations for that so they couldve taken another 50 years and it wouldnt have mattered, it doesnt count if no one cares.

they actually made a good world and likable characters here and if they waste those on some sub-KH garbage that would be a travesty.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"But the car!" will be one the new "But the music!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Unlucky posted:

they actually made a good world and likable characters here

It's pretty hard to commit to either of these things without having played the game, honestly. The world might be visually stunning, it at least looks well designed in its centrepieces but if it's empty with little to do other than traverse it, it's not a good world. The characters might also be boring as gently caress outside what they've shown off so far (which is obviously parts they're proud of)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is there no way to play the other demo unless you own Type-0?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Platinum Demo is free but it's more a sandbox where you can test some poo poo with close to final mechanics/shine.

Episode Duscae is outdated mechanics but a closer representation of what the full game will be and that's what was included with Type-0.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 1, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, and I think the codes have expired even if you buy it new now.
They really should release it to everyone, it's a heck of a lot better than the new one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Later combat in the game will (is supposed to) look something like this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, and I think the codes have expired even if you buy it new now.
They really should release it to everyone, it's a heck of a lot better than the new one.

It's a better representation of the game but the combat in this one (once you get past the kid parts and all the poo poo that Square inexplicably hid/didn't explain for some reason) is way better.
Not to mention the iron giant actually has a variety of attacks and can be fought without using a summon, which can't be said for the bosses in Duscae.

I kinda feel like maybe later making an effort post explaining all the combat mechanics in the final battle of the demo, because it's actually really fun once you know how everything works and the demo just has the worst tutorial ever.

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 1, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Augus posted:

It's a better representation of the game but the combat in this one (once you get past the kid parts and all the poo poo that Square inexplicably hid/didn't explain for some reason) is way better.
Not to mention the iron giant actually has a variety of attacks and can be fought without using a summon, which can't be said for the bosses in Duscae.

I kinda feel like maybe later making an effort post explaining all the combat mechanics in the final battle of the demo, because it's actually really fun once you know how everything works and the demo just has the worst tutorial ever.

Not only that, but I am wondering if the combat complaints that people have are far less about the combat mechanics and far more about the control scheme/button layout. Assuming they are not already in the current version of the game, adding more layout options should definitely be something that SE can include between now and 9/30.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

The ground targeting for the grenades are extremely hard to pull off, you really have to struggle with the reticle to get it to find the correct distance, and the marker of where it will actually hit places form way before function.

Not that it says it in the demo, but you can use R3 to lock on to the enemy with the reticle currently over it, and you will automatically throw it towards them. Speaking of which, I noticed it's less of a pain to lock onto things than it was in Duscae.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phantasium posted:

Not that it says it in the demo, but you can use R3 to lock on to the enemy with the reticle currently over it, and you will automatically throw it towards them. Speaking of which, I noticed it's less of a pain to lock onto things than it was in Duscae.

please tell me what your avatar is from

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Tales of Berseria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OviA2xmroPk

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The presumable mascot character for Tales of Berseria.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress. And here I thought I was done spending money on Tales games.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Phantasium posted:

Nah it does say that in the demo, that's how I figured out that you could lock-on.

VVV: Aw jeez what the heck

Xad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

So just how much has the game cost so far? Well we don’t know that quite yet but director Hajime Tabata did clue us in on how many copies of the game need to be sold for it to be considered a success. Speaking with European press following Uncovered, Tabata said the game needs to sell upwards of 10 million units over its lifetime. This has nothing to do with profitability, however.

In a statement issued to Famitsu, Tabata clarified the 10 million figure is nothing more than a goal for the team. He said the number is probably exaggerated but was put out to demonstrate the team’s lofty ambitions.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-needs-to-sell-10-million-units-to-be-a-success/

• Locked thread