Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters. In fact, I want the rare monsters system from FF12 brought back wholesale, except it should be easier to trigger monster encounters and less random in general (but not entirely not random.)

I want a giant RPG experience and the more I talk about this, the more I'm starting to think I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters. In fact, I want the rare monsters system from FF12 brought back wholesale, except it should be easier to trigger monster encounters and less random in general (but not entirely not random.)

I want a giant RPG experience and the more I talk about this, the more I'm starting to think I should play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

That is not advisable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You might, and the disappointment may also be crushing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

XenoX is a fun game, but it doesn't have much in the way of a main storyline.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am financially incapable of affording more disappointment.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You get to explore a gigantic world, fight enormous monsters and pilot big robots. What's not to like?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters.

Honestly, I think those things are mutually exclusive. The more open world a game is, the less you'll care about the story no matter how it's written, just because of pacing issues.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
XCX was fun but you have to go into it knowing the big fun is exploring and fighting monsters. Not a whole lot of story going on, outside the well-written but text heavy side quests. I thought the combat was good but not everyone felt the same way.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After XenoX I'll never feel entirely satisfied with openworld RPGs that have tiny jumps and harsh fall damage.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I think those things are mutually exclusive. The more open world a game is, the less you'll care about the story no matter how it's written, just because of pacing issues.

If the story's simple enough, then it can fit an open world fine. I think the set-up for XV seems headed in this direction. You have an overall goal, get from point A to point B, and along the way lots of stuff happens. The real meat of the game's story is the interaction between the main four characters (presumably?) so you actually get all of that in the day-to-day of the game's mechanics. Like, it was cool to run around in the first Xenoblade 'cause the characters chatted and it felt lively, which helped bring out their personalities better.

I'm straining to think of an open world game that had a story I really liked. Infamous 2 probably ranks up there but if I was to limit it to an RPG...I really want to say Yakuza, but I don't think that counts either. The best game to capture the sort of feel I'm imagining would be like, Wild Arms 3. Much of the game is just having adventures in various places, and a lot of them don't even matter to the "main" plot, but the actual plot of the game is to HAVE those adventures, so they don't feel meaningless because...well, that's why you're there. And you are kept invested because you like the characters and it's fun to see them play to their roles in the group and Virginia grows every adventure a little more mature and skilled, as does the player.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no Wii U but I'd like to play XCX one day.

I want a big robot to kill little things with.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wrong thread

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Clarste posted:

How about Witcher 3?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RatHat posted:

How about Witcher 3?

Including W3.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
DF's demo analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECC8u0nPO8

The game uses three different resolutions depending on load:

PS4:
* 1920x1080
* 1600x900
* 1568x882

X1:
* 1568x882
* 1408x792
* 1360x768

Frame rate:

Max of 30, frequent low-20s.X1 sometimes dips 7 FPS lower than the PS4.

On top of this, the PS4 version messes up the ordering of frames sometimes, with duplicate frames being one of the problems.

What a mess.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ufarn posted:

DF's demo analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YECC8u0nPO8

The game uses three different resolutions depending on load:

PS4:
* 1920x1080
* 1600x900
* 1568x882

X1:
* 1568x882
* 1408x792
* 1360x768

Frame rate:

Max of 30, frequent low-20s.X1 sometimes dips 7 FPS lower than the PS4.

On top of this, the PS4 version messes up the ordering of frames sometimes, with duplicate frames being one of the problems.

What a mess.

This isn't that bad considering the length of time available to optimize. It would be very worrisome if we were say...6-8 weeks from launch.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If they're not going download-only, they probably already are within 8 weeks of the hard deadline to cover the time it takes to produce and ship the physical discs. Doing a day-1 patch is an option, but they don't exactly have a lot of time left for version 1.0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It would be a bigger deal if day 1 patches weren't a common thing, yeah. The current Dark Souls 3 in Japan doesn't have one until the NA release.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They probably have a lot more time to go gold than you'd imagine, honestly.
Most of the time, you get reports that games have gone gold like 2 weeks before launch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

If they're not going download-only, they probably already are within 8 weeks of the hard deadline to cover the time it takes to produce and ship the physical discs. Doing a day-1 patch is an option, but they don't exactly have a lot of time left for version 1.0
Day 1 patches are the new normal, they'll do it if it fits their roadmap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Interview with Tabata after the event

Q: The framerate for the Platinum Demo is a little lower than expected. Will these be improved or adjusted for the full release?

A: We plan on doing more improvements as we head into its full release. We’ve introduced an experimental dynamic resolution to the Platnium Demo, and it is at full-resolution at its upper limit. The demo’s purpose is to show off a part of the world rather than its framerate. For now, we’ve been able to introduce a technical inspection regarding the resolution. Again, the demo was made to be the exact specs for the PS4 and Xbox One, but the full version will have it optimized for each system.

Q: Were there any titles that inspired you into making it into an open-world title?

A: We’ve been inspired by all Western open world-type AAA titles, but the base of the inspiration behind traveling seamlessly in the world comes from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That’s the best one.

Q: More on the flying Regalia.

A: The Regalia’s flying model is made possible through customizing once you get pretty far into the game, so there’s some playthrough elements there. While there are some places that can only be reached while using it, you won’t need to customize it as part of the story. There are two aims for the flying model. One is “I want to fly using the car that I’ve been journeying with” and “incorporating the thrilling sense of landing an aircraft.” It’s easy to lift off, but you might find yourself in trouble if you don’t land properly. There won’t be any other flying vehicles other than Regalia. I think it’s much better to have the Regalia that you’ve been traveling with go flying rather than to simply throw in an airship just because it’s Final Fantasy.

Q: Any means of operation for the PS4’s Touchpad?

A: We have special plans regarding the DualShock 4, but these have not been implemented.

Q: What about anything for VR?

A: We are interested in VR, and we’ve done all kinds of different tests and such since over a year ago. If anything makes us say “this can work” then we’ll think about offering it. As far as VR goes, rather than making it a limited experience, we’re thinking of having it be a new kind of experience.

Q: Will a PC version be released?

A: If we had plans for a PC release, then we’d want to release it as closely as possible to the console versions. However, since we didn’t have any plans for it, there won’t be one releasing closely to the PC version. When we develop and research in the DirectX 11 generation, all the work goes into the console version. After release, we plan to do some research on a PC version while considering higher specs.

Q: Are there any plans on making the Final Fantasy XV universe as a base for Final Fantasy XVI?

A: None. It’ll only be for Final Fantasy XV.

Q: What about spinoffs or other titles that are part of the same world?

A: One of Final Fantasy XV’s goals is to have as many people possible to try it out. Should there be content that could help with that, then it may be possible. We’ve put everything into consideration that can be done to optimize and make Final Fantasy XV into something better.

Q: What about the Japanese version’s voice cast for Kingsglaive?

A: We have quite a luxurious lineup. There are some very influential voice figures in charge.

Q: What about any plans for DLC?

A: There are plans. The objective is to make Final Fantasy XV‘s play last longer, even if it’s by a little more. There will be free DLCs, and considering that production does have its costs, there will be some paid ones, too. Since the content [for the DLC] is undetermined, we’ve yet to formally announce it. We’re thinking about having something for those who’ll purchase and enjoy Final Fantasy XV for a long time. Additional scenario is also being considered.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Norio Wakamoto for Regis, then. lol at saying Ocarina of Time is the best one when Link to the Past exists. I hope your car explodes if you don't land it safely. I have hopes, not high hopes but still hopes, that their optimization for the PS4 and Xbone will improve the framerate and generally make everything smooth.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

After reading that bit about experimental dynamic resolutions combined with some other poster's thoughts on the demo, I am even more inclined now to believe that Platinum's intention was to be more of a technical demo while Duscae was a game play demo. SE messed up here but not because they released either of these demos or the state that they were in upon release. They just did a really bad job communicating what Platinum was intended to be. If people's expectations leaned more towards the thought of "technical demo" then I think it would have been received at least a little better.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Some people are talking about XV having NG+. Is this confirmed?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xavier434 posted:

Some people are talking about XV having NG+. Is this confirmed?

Seems a weird thing to confirm with the game still five months out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
NG+ in a 100+ hour RPG?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

NG+ in a 100+ hour RPG?

More RPGs than not have NG+s these days.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah but kind of person actually does that?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Seems a weird thing to confirm with the game still five months out.

Yeah, that's why I asked here. I am inclined to lean towards it not being confirmed, and instead it "might" be based on some form of loose interpretation. I am not sure about the source of it all though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

Yeah but kind of person actually does that?

I dunno, what kind of person has a dozen different max level characters in Skyrim?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey don't kinkshame Augus. We all have our things.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Trailers make the game look great and/or like a trainwreck. Have we had confirmation that there is a way to give these goddamn kids a haircut?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I doubt it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bobfly posted:

Trailers make the game look great and/or like a trainwreck. Have we had confirmation that there is a way to give these goddamn kids a haircut?

They don't even have long hair grandpa

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Lookin' like a buncha dang "conscientious objectors", bah.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This might actually be the first FF where I am okay with everyones default hair.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

They don't even have long hair grandpa

Pfft maybe he wanted to make their hair longer. Way to jump to conclusions there kiddo!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Noctis has 24/7 bed head anyway, the kid would probably fall asleep midway through trying to comb it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Their morning routines must be daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

Their morning routines must be daunting.

Noctis: Wake up. Doze off again. Repeat until something explodes or Gladio picks up him bodily and shakes him awake. Stagger to car, followed by mid-morning nap.

Ignis: None. Wakes up immaculately coiffed.

Gladio: Barbell Bench Press, 6 x 12. Tricep dips, 4 x 10. Wide-grip pull ups, 4 x 6. Deadlift the car when no one's looking. Cooldown pushups. Stare longingly at photograph of Cindy.

Prompto: Spontaneously combusts face while trying to brush teeth.

• Locked thread