Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I like that they aimed for a "realistic" monster type. and that the fight system isnt just random encounters from invisible enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Onmi posted:

I do like that they seem to have found the nice balance between "Open world do anything!" and "We're still telling a linear story here."

Yeah I was happy to hear that part, especially after being disappointed with the "here's a huge world to explore, hope you didn't expect a story in your JRPG" that was Xenoblade Chronicles X

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I don't think there's been this much hype for an FF game since the magazine newsfeed days prior to FFVII or FFVIII, back when they shipped out demos on discs.

Back when videogame trailers in movie theaters weren't a "thing that is done"

Back when the competition was Tekken, Goldeneye, and Super Puzzle Fighter.

this is weird waht is happening

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't think there's been this much hype for an FF game since the magazine newsfeed days prior to FFVII or FFVIII, back when they shipped out demos on discs.

Back when videogame trailers in movie theaters weren't a "thing that is done"

Back when the competition was Tekken, Goldeneye, and Super Puzzle Fighter.

this is weird waht is happening

You prayers to Chuchu have been answered?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the tech demo with Type-0 and release the gameplay demo to the public instead?

If you have the giant balls to destroy whatever goodwill you had left a year ago with a 15 minute demo after 8 years of trailers, sure.

The demo last year was Tabata proving that the project isn't a gently caress-up nothing under his watch, that's partly why it came in Type-0, one of the reasons why he got the FF15 job. Cause he ships games.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Stormgale posted:

I found the combat in the old demo pretty cool, little getting used to but the ability to switch weapons fluidly for different attacks was cool

I liked the duscae model better where the type of weapon you used was contextual - felt a bit off to have to have both hands on the buttons and off the sticks to be fighting when you also need to dodge and poo poo with the stick sometimes.

Tenzarin posted:

I hope it does come out for PC and then I don't have to ever use the playstation ever again. As time goes on the purchase just keeps getting worse and less use.

I'm pretty sure you got enough entertainment out of it just from bloodborne and destiny :v:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the tech demo with Type-0 and release the gameplay demo to the public instead?

What would have made the most sense is to provide us with another gameplay demo, but I am sure that didn't happen primarily due to a lack of time and resources. It probably came down to a choice between creating/modifying something that turned out to be the Platinum demo or risk delaying the final game in order to make time to create another gameplay demo. In fact, it would not surprise me in the least if the Platinum demo is actually a modified test environment that the developers have been regularly using for their day to day work. I am speculating of course, but when you are on a tight schedule this is the sort of thing that you do in order to meet deadlines while also fulfilling promises.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I don't think it's quite like that, I remember being hyped for FFX and FF13. I just think that it's been so long that it's felt like forever that there's been a huge push for a new big thing, as opposed to just normally pushing a whatever-sequel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also since they describe magic as being items, and that you can gain more from natural fonts of it in the world, does that mean drawing magic is back?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Onmi posted:

Also since they describe magic as being items, and that you can gain more from natural fonts of it in the world, does that mean drawing magic is back?

We don't really know. I doubt that it will be back in the literal sense. I also read elsewhere that it can be replenished at various locations in the world in addition to being a consumable (like items) which immediately made me think of of FFX save spheres. It is all loose interpretation based on very vague information.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So less like a consumable and more like the Dark Souls style of magic where you have a limited number of casts that get replenished at certain points.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, you do have "bonfires" in your camps.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ventana posted:

I don't think it's quite like that, I remember being hyped for FFX and FF13. I just think that it's been so long that it's felt like forever that there's been a huge push for a new big thing, as opposed to just normally pushing a whatever-sequel.

You may have been hyped, but I'm talking in a general sense. FFX is where they started to go down the rabbit hole of eastern-spirituality-meets-anime crossover, a trend that reached its pinnacle in various pseudo-sequels. The only entry that really deviated from this is XII, probably the most fringe of all mainline FF titles.

I would say this is the first mainline FF in 15 years that doesn't seem a bit alienating to a general audience in the west, even down to the decision to use a 60's soul ballad as its theme song/marketing campaign, not to mention mid-century automobile iconography and highway sentimentality.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 8, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFXII feels very classic Final Fantasy, honestly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

You may have been hyped, but I'm talking in a general sense. FFX is where they started to go down the rabbit hole of eastern-spirituality-meets-anime crossover, a trend that reached its pinnacle in various pseudo-sequels. The only entry that really deviated from this is XII, probably the most fringe of all mainline FF titles.

I would say this is the first mainline FF in 15 years that doesn't seem a bit alienating to a general audience in the west, even down to the decision to use a 60's soul ballad as its theme song/marketing campaign, not to mention mid-century automobile iconography and highway sentimentality.

Yo, sentimentalism is loving real and a fundamental part and reason why anybody goes on a roadtrip through the desolate plains of middle America instead of just taking a plane to either coast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gologle posted:

Yo, sentimentalism is loving real and a fundamental part and reason why anybody goes on a roadtrip through the desolate plains of middle America instead of just taking a plane to either coast.

Did I say it wasn't real?

VVVVVVVVV :shobon:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 8, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I misread the post, I'll admit it. I thought you were saying those things were bad things.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

You may have been hyped, but I'm talking in a general sense.

Oh, I'm not talking about me personally being hyped, which I guess was a slight miswording in the original post. I just meant that SE was clearly hyping up stuff for those other games that had general audiences hype (which they certainly did, even if you seem to apparently not agree with that notion). It sounded like you said that SE hadn't done a marketing hype campaign at all since VII, as opposed to just saying "this campaign has ACTUALLY been hype which they haven't been since [insert FF game]" which I guess is more what you meant?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ventana posted:

Oh, I'm not talking about me personally being hyped, which I guess was a slight miswording in the original post. I just meant that SE was clearly hyping up stuff for those other games that had general audiences hype (which they certainly did, even if you seem to apparently not agree with that notion). It sounded like you said that SE hadn't done a marketing hype campaign at all since VII, as opposed to just saying "this campaign has ACTUALLY been hype which they haven't been since [insert FF game]" which I guess is more what you meant?

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I know they spent a lot of money advertising FFXIII, but it just didn't seem like people took the lure in western game markets. It felt like the series abandoned a huge part of its audience during the PS2/PS3 gen, partially because of developing difficulties, and also because the thematic developments of the series got pretty lame.

Like, I guess XIII was supposed to be a return to form...but the whole FFXIII Fabula Nova 'Platform' felt like a cash-in, not to mention the MMOs.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 8, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I know they spent a lot of money advertising FFXIII, but it just didn't seem like people took the lure in western game markets. It felt like the series abandoned a huge part of its audience during the PS2/PS3 gen, partially because of developing difficulties, and also because the thematic developments of the series got pretty lame.

Like, I guess XIII was supposed to be a return to form...but the whole FFXIII Fabula Nova 'Platform' felt like a cash-in, not to mention the MMOs.

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves. It's the same way Wind Waker is popular while the more realistic Zeldas are a mixed bag. It would be interesting to see how a cel-shaded Final Fantasy performs.

FF15 is an exception from this rule for reasons that are unclear to me. Maybe I just like flying cars.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF13 is one of the highest selling games in the franchise, and I vividly remember the hype when it was announced, especially for the reveal that it's also on the Xbox 360. A billion AMVs of the exact same Versus13 footage were made.

You're way deep into hindsight to forget all that. FF13 was the last time the West vividly remembered the brand.

Donnerberg posted:

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves. It's the same way Wind Waker is popular while the more realistic Zeldas are a mixed bag. It would be interesting to see how a cel-shaded Final Fantasy performs.

Twilight Princes HD sold more than Wind Waker HD

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tae posted:

Twilight Princes HD sold more than Wind Waker HD

Of course. You don't re-buy a game you've already played to death. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Amiibo did it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've been hyped for versus 13 since 06. That fmv was well directed

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It was. Though it's that the guns/swords Russian stand-off was the coolest part of all of the prerelease stuff*, then that actually won't make it into the game because it's now a film.

*The flying car may arguably be as good.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

CottonWolf posted:

It was. Though it's that the guns/swords Russian stand-off was the coolest part of all of the prerelease stuff*, then that actually won't make it into the game because it's now a film.

*The flying car may arguably be as good.

I thought I saw a trailer of that fmv translated to gameplay?

Has that been cut? Atleast it will be in the movie in that case.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hironobu Sakaguchi to show up on a FFXV stream hosted by Famitsu next week with Tabata. That's a little bit neat, the old and new together.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/08/final-fantasy-xv-live-stream-featuring-tabata-sakaguchi-held-april-14/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sefal posted:

I thought I saw a trailer of that fmv translated to gameplay?

Has that been cut? Atleast it will be in the movie in that case.

It definitely looks like that's what the film is, based on the trailer. I hope it's in the game too, but it doesn't look that way.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

FF15 is an exception from this rule for reasons that are unclear to me. Maybe I just like flying cars.

Why would that be the case with FF when it is not the case with so many other games? I read and hear people saying how nice FF games look when new ones come out far more than I hear people grumble about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TP is by far one of the most popular Zeldas, sold nearly 9M copies.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for the NX port where you can get Midna as a summon spell

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Why would that be the case with FF when it is not the case with so many other games? I read and hear people saying how nice FF games look when new ones come out far more than I hear people grumble about it.

They look nice. I'm not disputing that, but it's generic. Dudes full of belt buckles, ridiculously lavish gun blades with moving parts and whatnot, and in-world tech that looks all curvy and sleek. It's pretty, but there's nothing in there that's distinctly its own thing. FF13 could slip right into that Zone of Ender's movie from a couple years ago and nothing would look out of place. When the antagonists in FF13 roll around on their all hoverships, it looks something out of the cover art for a 70s sci-fi book.

I'm not saying every game has to be its own thing. And there's so much scifi and fantasy stuff now that you'd be hard pressed to make your own style. At least, FF9 went for a distinct look though, with the old-school black mage, the heavy colour saturation and disproportioned people. I didn't care for the game itself, but I think that might have been where they peaked in terms of design.

The appeal of Final Fantasy to me was that it did something new with each game instead of continuing what the last game, and not just in terms of the gameplay mechanics. Take the gun blades from FF8. They were dumb and weird, and distinct to that game. When other games in the series use them, like FF13, they end up feeling like an amalgam of what came before instead of their own thing. I didn't play the first four so maybe that was never what they were going for, but for me it feels like they haven't delivered with the double digit Final Fantasies.

I was wrong about the sales, but maybe you get where I'm coming from even if you disagree with me. I think if they announced a FF with an entirely different art style, it'd be novel enough to get a lot of new interest outside of what they already have.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Okay but all of this sounds like a specific XIII complaint rather than a general FF series complaint which was what you did in your prior post that I responded to.

However, to your point, I would say that I-V and VIII were all at least as generic as XIII in terms of style. Not to mention that tons of other games that do very well also contain pretty generic styles. Unique art styles do help the FF series, but I do not think that when an installment lacks that sort of thing that it causes much harm either. I've seen no evidence suggesting that. People seem far more interested in whether or not A. The game looks graphically nice in general and B. The game contains popular icons like chocobos, moogles, etc.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 8, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If its your opinion thats fine, but trying to curb it into a fatal financial flaw or missed opportunity is just idealistic projection of your specific tastes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's a strange inconsistency with how FF13's art style fits with the rest of the series. It definitely seems to draw a lot from previous titles, like gunblades, but the high future setting sort of feels removed from what Final Fantasy games typically look like. The series has always blended medieval and futuristic elements, dating back to the very first one, but here it felt like they had a setting where slashing people with swords or throwing boomerangs at guys with guns didn't...fit?

Wild Arms 3 comes to mind here. Everyone in your party uses a firearm as their primary weapon, a different type per character, because this is an Old West style setting and swords and spears are outdated (but still used, often incorporated into guns.) The weapons were thematically consistent, relevant to the plot, and reenforced the series' overall trend of featuring ARMS in a prominent way. It let them do cool cinematic things like fighting on horseback and exchanging gunfire with bandits, and it all felt really right at home.

If they really wanted to push a future setting Final Fantasy, I think the effort first and foremost should have been to incorporate that high technology into the gameplay. Characters could use laser swords if you must, or not rely on melee weapons at all. Maybe have the characters do battle in futuristic power armor, that could be customized with enemy drops along the journey. Hell, if you want to do a strictly linear, limited-time-frame story, have that reflected: make resource management stretch the whole game, and have some damage linger on long after you've "rested", so that you are increasingly getting worn down and using whatever you can to keep yourself in fighting shape. FFXIII could have done anything even remotely similar to this sort of thing and have had a far better impact. As it stands, the combat system is an afterthought, alongside pretty much all the rest of the gameplay, and the sci-fi setting is butchered by nonsensical magic words and a poor script.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There are a lot of XV interviews happening with Tabata lately and I don't have enough time to watch them all. It would be really cool if there was some kind of comprehensive list showing what new things we are learning from them. Does anyone know if such a list exists and is posted somewhere?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think there's a strange inconsistency with how FF13's art style fits with the rest of the series. It definitely seems to draw a lot from previous titles, like gunblades, but the high future setting sort of feels removed from what Final Fantasy games typically look like. The series has always blended medieval and futuristic elements, dating back to the very first one, but here it felt like they had a setting where slashing people with swords or throwing boomerangs at guys with guns didn't...fit?

Wild Arms 3 comes to mind here. Everyone in your party uses a firearm as their primary weapon, a different type per character, because this is an Old West style setting and swords and spears are outdated (but still used, often incorporated into guns.) The weapons were thematically consistent, relevant to the plot, and reenforced the series' overall trend of featuring ARMS in a prominent way. It let them do cool cinematic things like fighting on horseback and exchanging gunfire with bandits, and it all felt really right at home.

If they really wanted to push a future setting Final Fantasy, I think the effort first and foremost should have been to incorporate that high technology into the gameplay. Characters could use laser swords if you must, or not rely on melee weapons at all. Maybe have the characters do battle in futuristic power armor, that could be customized with enemy drops along the journey. Hell, if you want to do a strictly linear, limited-time-frame story, have that reflected: make resource management stretch the whole game, and have some damage linger on long after you've "rested", so that you are increasingly getting worn down and using whatever you can to keep yourself in fighting shape. FFXIII could have done anything even remotely similar to this sort of thing and have had a far better impact. As it stands, the combat system is an afterthought, alongside pretty much all the rest of the gameplay, and the sci-fi setting is butchered by nonsensical magic words and a poor script.

It's good and cool.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

elf help book posted:

It's good and cool.

agreed wild arms 3 owns

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

8-Bit Scholar posted:

agreed wild arms 3 owns

Same but for FF13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Donnerberg posted:

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves.

Lower fidelity means that the art direction matters much more than the art execution, and SE has always been absolutely stellar at art direction. In lower fidelity stuff, your mind fills in the gaps; in higher fidelity, the artists are forced to omit things (like 10 billion beads on a single outfit) while at the same time anything that seems a little bit off brings down the implied quality of the entire piece/game

• Locked thread