Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do you ever out-level the empire drops that dropships drop off in the world? I'm level 16 and it drops off a thousand level 16 troops, all with machine guns, that drop my entire party in less than three seconds. Now I'm stuck because the Regalia is next to a swarm of the things. Can you drive past them manually? Ignis just stops the car like a loving moron.

This is some real good design, Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

isk posted:

You can. Bear in mind it's one of the first difficult fights in the game. A lot of folks struggle with it. Gotta attack the flanks, pick enemies intelligently, using items and magic if needed. If you really need to, just get the Regalia towed at a gas station and engage these guys after you've leveled a bit.

It's just the random dropship enemies that apparently show up if you stay in an area for too long. It's making hunting and doing anything in the open world a real chore. I'll try the magic thing but if they're machine gun troops, they have a million mile range and they constantly stun-lock Noctis, so I can't even engage them. The melee ones are a bit more manageable because I can at least get close to them.

I don't like this at all. Game was fine until it introduced this stupid element that feels like it's the antithesis to open-world design. It's like if aliens developed an open world game after watching one being played on youtube.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just craft magic grenades like someone else said. I'm almost certain that's what they were designed for.

Seems like it. Magic is clunky and crap to use otherwise.

Speaking of clunky, that is how I'd describe the combat. I'd even say it's quite bad. Your dodge is really garbage and doesn't give you any distance. The parry is also really bad as the game doesn't give you any indication of which enemy is attacking you, so you have to guess when to hit the button. I get more compelling combat from XIV. They should have made it more like a traditional 3rd person action game rather than whatever this is. I usually spam my warp strike in hopes I end up in a place where I can get an idea of what the hell is going on. I should probably play in that other combat mode since the default is really bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm in the ice caves getting this worthless royal arms weapon I'm never going to use and this is the most frustrating and infuriating loving area I've had to slog through in any game I've played in at least 10 years. Not only are the fights lovely because the camera is bad but because the things are so goddamn narrow you fall off the walk-ways and have to trek all the way through this poo poo.

gently caress whoever designed this area.

And why the flying gently caress do you automatically walk in these stupid dungeons? Analogue controls have been a thing for 20 years, if people want to walk, program it into the position of the stick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looking past all my bitching posted during the hair-tearing ice dungeon for a weapon I'm never going to use, the first thing I said about it being an open world game made by aliens who saw a youtube video of an open world game is probably the best description I can give the gameplay systems and overall design of this game. They even do the small details awkwardly.

In Red Dead Redemption, you could press a button and greet anyone you meet. In this game, you can greet people who greet you but instead of it being a little thing that doesn't break the flow of your movement, you stop dead-cold in your tracks to wave and cannot move until the animation ends. It is the most bizarrely fascinating game I've played when I'm not fuming over the bad combat. Who thought that's how you do a simple greet in an open world with a nameless NPC you'll never know anything about? Combat is like-wise bizarre. It puts a strong emphasis on animation priority but its encounter design is to throw a bunch of poo poo at you without giving you any tell-tale signs that an enemy is going to attack you and it usually comes out of nowhere without giving you time to react. You hold down dodge to automatically dodge attacks, but they come so fast and without warning, you either have to hold it down forever and avoid the attacks or face-tank them, there is no dodging attacks and anything you dodge is pure coincidence. There's no timing to be had. Only against big enemies and one-on-one encounters can you, at least, get a sense of what is going on, even then everything I've encounter so far has at least a few attacks that have no tells to them.

The tutorial is very misleading in this regard. You're fighting Gladious and if you dodge his attack, he stumbles a little bit and every swing has a wind-up. So you think it'd be like that through the entire game but it's the complete opposite of that.

Then in exploration, it feels like someone saw Uncharted and decided to put these little transition areas. Like shimming across ledges, or squeezing through tight spaces or ducking under things. But they serve no purpose. They don't appear to hide loading times or separate the path from a combat arena or offer any kind of cinematic break in the gameplay. You do the thing and your entire team warps to the other side. Why are they here? Because Uncharted did this thing and it looked cool, despite it being out-of-place and is so awkward and slow that a normal pathway could sufficed. You can tell this game has been in development for 10 years because it has 10 years worth of spit-balled ideas that the director and/or design team saw in games at the time and put in their game. Then they left it in there because it was going to be more expensive to redo those things or because they had a massive ego and what they say is what the rest of the team does.

Really, the main driving force for me right now is to see what other open world stuff they did wrong or weirdly. I heard Prompto's side-story is actually a pretty competent 3rd person shooter, so it'll be interesting to try that out and maybe multiplayer will try to salvage the combat since it seemed to replace the dodge with an actual blocking ability that may require timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Season Pass is 25 while Comrades is 20. Probably better to just get the season pass and get all those episodes with it.

• Locked thread