Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's weird being mildly interested in Final Fantasy again after two decades of disappointment.

Or to put it another way: We're now at a point in the series where an anime road trip sounds like a step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Hey, so the game wiki says FF15 is part of Fabula Nova Crystallis, which is a subseries containing all the FF13s. Should I be worried? Will I need to know what happened in the FF13s?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, that's terrific. Thanks!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

They are coming out with a FF15 movie and a 5 part OVA :psypop: Just release the drat game already!!!!

They finally had some money again. May as well burn it all down the same way as last time, right? :downs:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tabby posted:

Q:Will the game have a photo mode?
A: Prompto will take the photos for you.

Oh god, I hope Prompto taking pictures is dynamic.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I know they spent a lot of money advertising FFXIII, but it just didn't seem like people took the lure in western game markets. It felt like the series abandoned a huge part of its audience during the PS2/PS3 gen, partially because of developing difficulties, and also because the thematic developments of the series got pretty lame.

Like, I guess XIII was supposed to be a return to form...but the whole FFXIII Fabula Nova 'Platform' felt like a cash-in, not to mention the MMOs.

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves. It's the same way Wind Waker is popular while the more realistic Zeldas are a mixed bag. It would be interesting to see how a cel-shaded Final Fantasy performs.

FF15 is an exception from this rule for reasons that are unclear to me. Maybe I just like flying cars.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Tae posted:

Twilight Princes HD sold more than Wind Waker HD

Of course. You don't re-buy a game you've already played to death. :v:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Why would that be the case with FF when it is not the case with so many other games? I read and hear people saying how nice FF games look when new ones come out far more than I hear people grumble about it.

They look nice. I'm not disputing that, but it's generic. Dudes full of belt buckles, ridiculously lavish gun blades with moving parts and whatnot, and in-world tech that looks all curvy and sleek. It's pretty, but there's nothing in there that's distinctly its own thing. FF13 could slip right into that Zone of Ender's movie from a couple years ago and nothing would look out of place. When the antagonists in FF13 roll around on their all hoverships, it looks something out of the cover art for a 70s sci-fi book.

I'm not saying every game has to be its own thing. And there's so much scifi and fantasy stuff now that you'd be hard pressed to make your own style. At least, FF9 went for a distinct look though, with the old-school black mage, the heavy colour saturation and disproportioned people. I didn't care for the game itself, but I think that might have been where they peaked in terms of design.

The appeal of Final Fantasy to me was that it did something new with each game instead of continuing what the last game, and not just in terms of the gameplay mechanics. Take the gun blades from FF8. They were dumb and weird, and distinct to that game. When other games in the series use them, like FF13, they end up feeling like an amalgam of what came before instead of their own thing. I didn't play the first four so maybe that was never what they were going for, but for me it feels like they haven't delivered with the double digit Final Fantasies.

I was wrong about the sales, but maybe you get where I'm coming from even if you disagree with me. I think if they announced a FF with an entirely different art style, it'd be novel enough to get a lot of new interest outside of what they already have.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Electromax posted:

Was actually the Kingsglaive trailer I meant:

Great. Now the game has become the FF6 sequel I didn't know I wanted, but must have.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

In Final Fantasy XV they don't have IPads, they have 'Libre Tablets'.

I learned this from the terrible, terrible movie Kingsglaive.

On a scale from I to X, where I is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and X is Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, how does Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV hold up?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Terper posted:

Yup. You do give commands to them ala KH Birth by Sleep and choose their equipment and what skills they learn, which changes their AI scripting a bit.

As long as I never have to see a single line of programming I'm happy. I forget which Final Fantasy had it, but one of them made you script the companion AI yourself, and it broke the illusion of them having any personality outside of the story. The first Dragon's Age did the same thing.

I much prefer how Persona handles it, where you tell team members to focus on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It worked perfectly. It was just a level of detail too much for me in particular I suppose. I like not knowing exactly what the AI will do as long as it isn't pants on head stupid.

• Locked thread