Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I played the Platinum demo and it was fun to mess with the lighting and weather effects and turn into cars and monsters and poo poo and play around with the new "magic" system and appreciate the scenery. Then I fought the Iron Giant a bunch of times to try and improve. No, the fighting wasn't as deep in most of the demo as in Duscae, but man, with all the complaining people have been doing about the demo you'd think it insulted their moms. But maybe I'm just easily amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The "?" panel at the end of the town area gave you like 5 of every consumable you had found, and it wasn't hard to reset it. I don't know if that's what the actual game will be like, but having a relatively easy way to refill your cast uses would make actually using those abilities more appealing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Augus posted:

"I'm not gonna buy the console version because the PC version will come out in a few years and be way better"

said no console gamer ever.

"I was thinking of buying a PS4 to play this, but if it's coming to PC with a better version I'll just wait" said a whole lot of potential customers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The quest at the 10:21 mark is called "A miserable pile of secrets." Nice. I hope it teaches us something about the nature of man.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted this in the FF megathread and not here for some reason. Good thing I keep a throw-away twitter account so I can see what probably terrible nothings we can unlock! Although 45,000 followers and the first thing isn't even unlocked? Yeesh.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hey, it's more stuff about Kingsglaive: http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-xv-spin-off-movie-still-looks-incredi-1778846614

It sure looks purdy, but man, flashbacks of The Spirits Within and its disastrous consequences...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And here I was going to pre-order until I saw that poo poo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I didn't even know that was a thing.

So that's Gamestop exclusive. Weren't there some exclusive benefits for pre-ordering through the Square store? Are those the only options, or is there a list of what you get based on where you preorder?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I never got around to playing Duscae 2.0, so I did that the other day. I liked the new additions, and had a Good Time. Still optimistic that FFXV will be good against all odds.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnkOpknGok

The movie's out digitally on August 30 and on Blu-ray October 4.

Here's the current list of theaters that will play it in the US

God damnit, 5 locations in Texas and none of them are in Austin? Lubbock? Really?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The jacket looks the same except for brightness. Now whether that's because they lightened it or because of different shadow effects, hard to say.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Demon Wall confirmed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Shoren posted:

What is MP used for in this game? Have they said anything about it? I skipped around the video a bit so I might have missed something, but it looks like spells are handled like they were in the Platinum demo: as consumable items, not something that consumes MP.

At least according to Duscae, MP is used for warping/dodging, and for using special abilities tied to your weapons (if that's still a thing).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

can you run and roll around in combat like most 3rd person action games in ff15? having to stand and block in ff13:LR was a really weird feeling bummer imo.

Yeah, I believe the current build is that you can both hold the "block" button to do a guaranteed dodge (assuming you're not locked in an attack animation) that consumes MP, or can do a roll that's more risky but doesn't take MP.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted:

A bunch of new screens, showing off riding around on Chocobos buying Chocobo Whistles, camping, re-arranging your party members' Commands, and more.

God drat, those food pics. I'm hungry.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hmm, I want to watch the video, but I don't want to be spoiled on the first hour of the game. Guess I'll have to pass.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted:

Some dudes were going to cut together all the gameplay stuff that leave out all the story spoilers.

If you could post that if they finish it, that'd be awesome. 'Cause yeah, I thought I knew how the game started, but after watching the first 30 seconds I clearly didn't.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I broke down and watched the 50 minute video. It all looks excellent to me; still hyped.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So you think you can race this chocobo?!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh my god I'm going to starve playing this game.

That chocolate buster sword...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

I got Bahamut in the gacha, do I win?

What kind of Bahamut? A bahamut baseball cap? A bahamut tent? A bahamut car skin? A bahamut camp stove set?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Gologle posted:

The first half of that first section we already knew about, or at least, someone who has kept up to date on news articles/gameplay videos would know those. The rest, to my knowledge, actually is new. I'm a little iffy about the car being fully controllable while manual. A lot of other rewviewers were saying that it really isn't and you can basically only press the stick forward on the road and that's where it'll go, basically no different from when Ignis is driving you.

But they responded to those complaints and changed it. During the live demo today at PAX the player intentionally swerved all over the road, and the commentator said the car could get damaged from running into things.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

They put out a major update for Duscae, turning it into Duscae 2.0. It's still pretty different from the final product, but I enjoyed it all the same, framerate hiccups and all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

At least FFXV is in good company. http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/12/12887262/last-guardian-gets-delay

:unsmith:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It's the same as the regular edition, except that you see the party driving 'round town with the girl you love.

The way you play the game ain't fair.

Anyway, what are these "member points" consolation prizes from the Carbuncle thing even worth?

Oh wait, I just looked, and they're worth absolutely nothing. Exchange a million of them for useless junk nobody wants. Neat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

There was a countdown just to tell us that? I can't wait for the next countdown when they reveal there are blue chocobos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I've been waiting to see where to pre-order from, and that's probably the best bet. Plus I think you get a 20% discount when pre-ordering if you have Amazon prime?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I dunno guys, I'm getting a little worried. It sounds like FFXV might not actually be that bad: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/19/13326636/final-fantasy-15-pre-review-first-hours-preview-video-square-enix-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one

I don't know how I'd feel to get a good FF again. It was a whole other lifetime when that happened last.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Augus posted:

how do you have a Somethingawful account if FFXIV was a lifetime ago for you

MMOs exist in some parallel reality for me- I've vaguely aware of their existence but I can't fully comprehend them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That was pretty cool.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Or good ol' Chrono Cross. But nobody really complained about the difficulty there, outside of Miguel...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nina posted:

I think it could've been conveyed better that he was doing it for his own sake instead of trying to look cooler for Noctis.

But it's not like he realized it was for his own sake; in his mind people didn't want to be friends with him because he was a fat loser, and so he had to improve himself in order to befriend Noctis. He wasn't thinking, "Noctis would like me how I am, but *I* want to improve myself before I hang out with him." I dunno, it's a realistic portrayal of human motivations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Terper posted:

There are Final Fantasy 15 days left until release people

We've had all this time to prepare, and somehow I'm still not ready.

I hope everyone's been doing their Amazon roadtrip "quests" to unlock their DLC stuff. They don't work for me at all on my laptop browser; I had to do them on my phone.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'd like to know more about how magic works. I know you can draw elemental energy from nodes you find, and then dump it into consumable spells (along with potions or whatever). But from what I've seen it looks like it takes a lot of the elemental energy to make spells. So do you only get like 1 or 2 spells that you use up and then they're gone until you find a bunch more nodes to make another one? If so, RPG hoarder syndrome means magic will never get used, ever.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

I'd go gayer for Gladio.

Some IGN stream is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RnG9BRzHzA including a size comparisons of most of what's been shown off already

I say "shown off already" because I think we should be well past the age of recolours outside of cases where it makes sense, like slimes.

Hair gets less spiky in the rain. GotY.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Patchnote in detail included this line:

You can now shift forward in the field outside of battle.

The game is now significantly better than before.

I seem to remember you being able to do this in the original Duscae demo, but then it getting removed in Duscae 2.0. Or maybe you could warp to landmarks/warp points outside of battle? Or both?

Either way I'm very happy to hear it'll be in the final game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

There is no end to this PR campaign. They must've sunk so much money into it...

http://kotaku.com/amazon-japan-creates-a-final-fantasy-xv-double-take-1789339064

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Amazon didn't ship mine until like 8 pm last night, but I have received it. Downloading the update patch; now if only I could get my stupid Road Trip DLC e-mail.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

RCarr posted:

I'm dozens of pages behind on this thread. How do I use my promotional code amazon sent me for pre-ordering the fancy special edition? It links me to the carbuncle surprise thing which I had signed up for weeks ago, but when I try to log in it just says "invalid email". It says the same thing if I try to create a new account.

I just want my shiny special stuff :(

Have they sent out the Carbuncle surprise code yet? I haven't gotten it.

Edit: The official rules say "on or around December 12", so I'm guessing not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yo, were you able to get your Roadtrip DLC redeemed? I've having problems with the codes they sent me.

Did you try redeeming through your PS4 as opposed to through the PS Store website? Someone was saying earlier it worked for them.

I hit the "redeem DLC" button like 7 hours ago and still haven't gotten my e-mail.

• Locked thread