Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He meant voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spells doing environmental changes real-time is a thing I hope all video games can eventually achieve.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Motto posted:

I got two things from rewatching that Versus trailer: the old battle portraits were hilarious, and also that the last ten years must've been pretty weird for the JP voice actors. They were getting called in every other year or so for quite a while just to voice excerpts from a constantly changing script until development got properly on track a couple years ago.

e: Though speaking of old trailers, the oddest thing is that stuff seems to have significantly changed even from the 2013 re-announcement. Looking back, it's a bunch of scrapped Versus-era CG alongside possibly-prerendered gameplay that's incompatible with the current version of the story.

It fits in with the timeline that real development only started a couple years ago when Tabata took over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It would be a bigger deal if day 1 patches weren't a common thing, yeah. The current Dark Souls 3 in Japan doesn't have one until the NA release.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Interview with Tabata after the event

Q: The framerate for the Platinum Demo is a little lower than expected. Will these be improved or adjusted for the full release?

A: We plan on doing more improvements as we head into its full release. We’ve introduced an experimental dynamic resolution to the Platnium Demo, and it is at full-resolution at its upper limit. The demo’s purpose is to show off a part of the world rather than its framerate. For now, we’ve been able to introduce a technical inspection regarding the resolution. Again, the demo was made to be the exact specs for the PS4 and Xbox One, but the full version will have it optimized for each system.

Q: Were there any titles that inspired you into making it into an open-world title?

A: We’ve been inspired by all Western open world-type AAA titles, but the base of the inspiration behind traveling seamlessly in the world comes from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That’s the best one.

Q: More on the flying Regalia.

A: The Regalia’s flying model is made possible through customizing once you get pretty far into the game, so there’s some playthrough elements there. While there are some places that can only be reached while using it, you won’t need to customize it as part of the story. There are two aims for the flying model. One is “I want to fly using the car that I’ve been journeying with” and “incorporating the thrilling sense of landing an aircraft.” It’s easy to lift off, but you might find yourself in trouble if you don’t land properly. There won’t be any other flying vehicles other than Regalia. I think it’s much better to have the Regalia that you’ve been traveling with go flying rather than to simply throw in an airship just because it’s Final Fantasy.

Q: Any means of operation for the PS4’s Touchpad?

A: We have special plans regarding the DualShock 4, but these have not been implemented.

Q: What about anything for VR?

A: We are interested in VR, and we’ve done all kinds of different tests and such since over a year ago. If anything makes us say “this can work” then we’ll think about offering it. As far as VR goes, rather than making it a limited experience, we’re thinking of having it be a new kind of experience.

Q: Will a PC version be released?

A: If we had plans for a PC release, then we’d want to release it as closely as possible to the console versions. However, since we didn’t have any plans for it, there won’t be one releasing closely to the PC version. When we develop and research in the DirectX 11 generation, all the work goes into the console version. After release, we plan to do some research on a PC version while considering higher specs.

Q: Are there any plans on making the Final Fantasy XV universe as a base for Final Fantasy XVI?

A: None. It’ll only be for Final Fantasy XV.

Q: What about spinoffs or other titles that are part of the same world?

A: One of Final Fantasy XV’s goals is to have as many people possible to try it out. Should there be content that could help with that, then it may be possible. We’ve put everything into consideration that can be done to optimize and make Final Fantasy XV into something better.

Q: What about the Japanese version’s voice cast for Kingsglaive?

A: We have quite a luxurious lineup. There are some very influential voice figures in charge.

Q: What about any plans for DLC?

A: There are plans. The objective is to make Final Fantasy XV‘s play last longer, even if it’s by a little more. There will be free DLCs, and considering that production does have its costs, there will be some paid ones, too. Since the content [for the DLC] is undetermined, we’ve yet to formally announce it. We’re thinking about having something for those who’ll purchase and enjoy Final Fantasy XV for a long time. Additional scenario is also being considered.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the tech demo with Type-0 and release the gameplay demo to the public instead?

If you have the giant balls to destroy whatever goodwill you had left a year ago with a 15 minute demo after 8 years of trailers, sure.

The demo last year was Tabata proving that the project isn't a gently caress-up nothing under his watch, that's partly why it came in Type-0, one of the reasons why he got the FF15 job. Cause he ships games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, you do have "bonfires" in your camps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF13 is one of the highest selling games in the franchise, and I vividly remember the hype when it was announced, especially for the reveal that it's also on the Xbox 360. A billion AMVs of the exact same Versus13 footage were made.

You're way deep into hindsight to forget all that. FF13 was the last time the West vividly remembered the brand.

Donnerberg posted:

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves. It's the same way Wind Waker is popular while the more realistic Zeldas are a mixed bag. It would be interesting to see how a cel-shaded Final Fantasy performs.

Twilight Princes HD sold more than Wind Waker HD

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If its your opinion thats fine, but trying to curb it into a fatal financial flaw or missed opportunity is just idealistic projection of your specific tastes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tabata clarified that the flying car is basically a near endgame upgrade, but it is fully controllable. Also landing it will be a bitch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're severely overestimating how much console people care about pc versions existing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

"I was thinking of buying a PS4 to play this, but if it's coming to PC with a better version I'll just wait" said a whole lot of potential customers.

It's not a significant enough number.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm glad there's finally footage of Noctis driving the car. I was afraid they couldn't figure it out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can take the car off-road, but it's magnetized to the road if you just press forward/drive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Summaries of the 4 characters+luna and Regis: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/04/15/a-deeper-look-at-final-fantasy-xvs-characters.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Also confirms that Kingsglaive is not a prequel to the game, but takes place after Noctis leaves and starts the roadtrip. The movie is about what happens that pronounces that Regis, Luna, and Noctis are declared "dead."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shoren posted:

Awesome, I didn't even realize she was doing the music for this. There's been a huge void, musically, since Uematsu left and besides the battle theme from XIII, I can't really recall any memorable songs that Hamauzu composed. I have really enjoyed the music Shimomura composed for Kingdom Hearts so I'm optimistic that she'll do a great job with XV.

On the subject of music, does anyone else think "Stand by Me" is out of place in this game? Not that I have anything against the cover, it's a beautiful song and I don't even know enough about Florence to have an opinion on her. But the inclusion of it in XV breaks my immersion in the world they're trying to build because in my mind it's already linked so strongly to the real world.

The game's plot is basically Stand By Me. It's a roadtrip with 4 guys, the movie is super popular in Japan.

You're also missing out on all the FF14 OST which is fantastic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Goons having hope in the first place is the best joke.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this game really coming out on September 30th? It just seems super weird after tons of games being released on Tuesdays.

A lot of games come out on Friday. Nintendo games mostly do this, but also other big games like Until Dawn do as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The troll slot was because the release date got leaked by a few sites, including Gamespot accidentally uploading "FF15 releases on Sep. 30th!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I saw public gay-shipping of Gundam wing characters back when it aired on toonami, like this isn't new to anyone

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I've heard from movie podcasts that rarely touch games were super impressed with Kingsglaive's technology, especially coming off Warcraft. If nothing else, they do have some spark in demographics that aren't gamers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As far as we know, Shurikens requires MP to even use, so basically it's to encourage mixing magic and skills because having both tied to MP will basically make every fight a warp-to-ceiling battle which would be boring.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They already have pre-orders for dlc costumes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The FF15 saga is cool because it really brings out people that don't understand that Square has been doing other stuff since final fantasy 7 came out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No mans sky was delayed two months very shortly before its initial release

edit: Gematsu also confirms that the delay is real, they were the ones that first broke the Sep. 30th release date.

Tae fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 13, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First 12 minutes of Kingsglaive: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/15/kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv-opening-12-minutes

Movie looks hype

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They really downplayed the poo poo out of emotions by whoever directed the voice acting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Disappointed Cor is one of those overleveled guest archtypes because he's a goddamn samurai

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

From what the gameinformer report was, FF15 has a very set path if you just want to beeline the story. You really have to get out of your way to get into the open fields once you get the car going.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who the hell's Adam Croasdell, that's not Gideon Emery

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Legin Noslen posted:

It takes them 2 months to apply a patch that presumable already exists? A process that if the game were released on Sep. 30th with the patch, would surely take less than an hour? :psyduck:

They have to apply the patch to physical copies, and there's more than enough of a sizable population that Final Fantasy targets that downloading a huge patch is a major hindrance (Especially with PSN's current speed infrastructure).

The weirdest reactions are people surprised Square is willing to sell past black friday when they give a gently caress less about american holidays than probably anyone else except Nintendo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is that some new york/baltimore thing because I never heard of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tabata went into more detail on why 15 was delayed, and he threw out one statistic that said 20% of japanese gamers don't have internet and probably won't download a day 1 patch. So there you go. Ultimately still targeting the japanese.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Statistics aside, the patch excuse almost definitely is a hasty cover-up for poor performance in the game's final stretch. Two months also likely won't be enough to fix all but the very worst of it, so launch day should be interesting for everybody.

How is it a cover-up when it's explicitly said that was the reason (and why the patch was needed on september?)

quote:

Speaking with Famitsu, Tabata talked about the delay. Some of the reasons will be obvious, but not all.

“For starters,” Tabata told Famitsu, “the optimization isn’t [yet] sufficient. There are also various bugs as well as places in which the frame rate drops.” He says that some of the bugs won’t impede with game progress, but adds, “There are still of number of bugs like characters floating unnaturally in the air or appearing all strange [and glitchy].”

As Kotaku previously mentioned, there is a significant amount of optimization and cleaning up that can be done in the next few months.

“We are going to fix the issues,” Tabata assured, adding, “Another thing is that I also wanted to refine the game balance.”

According to Tabata, one of the big reasons for this delay, however, is that not every everyone who is going to play FFXV has their console connected to the internet. They may have a console, they may have the internet, but the two are apparently not connected. (Data Tabata sourced said that number is over twenty percent of Japanese gamers!) Thus, there actually might be players who do not download a day-one patch. The delay is to get the game in good shape for all players at release.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nyx seems fine for a movie, not for a 50 hour RPG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is his magic summoning powers also why he hates lettuce

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why would anyone gloat about a game being delayed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Never pre order, that's your first lesson

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Motherfucking GUNS

quote:

Gun: From simple pistols to rifles that allows you to shoot from a distance, there are various kinds of Guns. Depending on the type of Gun, you can use Snipe Mode to shoot with a scope from far away.

Machinery: Introduced as a weapon in Final Fantasy VI, the way of attacking with these greatly changes depending on the weapon. You can send powerful shock wave attacks using the “Attract Wave,” or the “Circular Saw” to deal heavy damage using its circular blade that rotates in high-speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF7 got a gameplay demo in like under 6 months, it's way ahead of any FF project before

• Locked thread