Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want to go game awardsy, Souls have been called rpgs for years

maybe that phone valkyrie profile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dragon Quest anything outsells both Persona and FF in Japan (even Dragon Quest Musou basically outsold P5 in its first week) so you can't really say sales as an indicator of quality

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is a better game than Persona 5

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The GIG posted:

Also the console scene in Japan is collapsing hard so basically anything on consoles is going to look gutted.

Knack was literally the highest selling Ps4 game for 2 years in Japan until basically dragon quest heroes came out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF15 main story is geared towards the average player who are bad at games. Most people I've seen that have never really played action games struggled like hell in the last couple of chapters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

The thing is, your opinion is less objective than you think it is. It really is all personal taste. I've seen many posts of yours voicing complaints, which is cool, but I don't share those complaints necessarily. It is a subjective thing.

You say Persona 5 "is" cohesive, because it's up your alley and you have less complaints. It still may be apples and oranges comparing the two games like they're going for the same things

It is not subjective to say FF15 is a less stitched together game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MGSV had an rear end, abrupt ending, that's what soured me on it. Also a huge mother loving hanging plot thread with liquid. I said it before, but FF15 is completely saved from I like it to love it by its ending.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"Why don't they scale the story missions to your level"

that's why

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Literally no facts will change people's opinions and memes on 10 years of development

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A ps4 slim came out in september

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Is FF7R still going to be episodic?

Yes. And it's on unreal 4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Noctis throws magic behind his back like a dork

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a lot of evidence that Tabata was more of an actual project manager on third birthday compared to Type 0 and Crisis Core. I always associated 3rd Birthday as more of a Toriyama joint.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair, we've only seen them use the phones for... well, calling people. No evidence of any other functionality on it so far.

One of the camping idle animations is them playing a multiplayer on their phone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bethamphetamine posted:

Also, outside of the game, a designer wants you to buy his officially licensed clothes and Audi wanted to sell a Regalia abomination to anyone with obscene amounts of money and no sense whatsoever (so saudi princes, I guess). This is why it's proper to say the game has been in development for 10 years and to laugh at any idiot who says the game has been in development for 3 years only.

That's some good 3rd grade marketing logic

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cowman posted:

Really there's no reason for them to have cut content for DLC other than money. They spent 10 years making the drat game (I know technically 3 or whatever) so there's no "not enough time" excuse.

90% of the reveal trailer 3 years ago is not in the game. They had less time to make this game than most current triple a games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What didn't you enjoy about the first 2? Or rather the 2nd game which is way closer to 3.

The controls in 2 are loving rear end terrible compared to 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can ignore crafting entirely in Witcher 3 and easily break the combat portion part of the game. That's what I did on the 2nd hardest difficulty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The side-step has insane invincibility frames and you can spam it 24/7. The only things that can really hurt you are the ground pound aoe attacks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You literally couldn't figure out why the poo poo happens in 13's end boss unless you read the etro datalog

Imagine if that whole bahumut speech was just a datalog, it's like that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is like a time capsule back when people did the FFX monster hunt bosses and FF12 super boss that literally took hours.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also Japan doesn't really give a gently caress about FF nearly as much as Dragon Quest. Like, Dragon Quest musou games sell better than FF15. It's just a culture thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game was released recently. It was called bloodborne.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus christ guys, my comment about Bloodborne was that it had lovely load times on launch day

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fully beating a ff seems dumb because they almost never have good post game stuff or what would replace post game in like ffx

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here's the dark secret: FF has always been anime

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The ATB era was the most era gameplay wise, let it go

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If I think about it, the only "true" (because some people are picky as gently caress about the term) open-world games I enjoyed because they were open were Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 besides the Witcher.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's barely any modding on the 13 games and they basically run the same engine

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I gave up Witcher 3 my first time because I tried to play it "the right way" by crafting and using the guard button at the right time.

Second try, ignored everything about crafting, alchemy, and just spammed the short dodge button and the game was much more fun. You're just a red mage galloping the lands and the loot scales enough to be good even on the 2nd hardest difficulty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

12 is bad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you really like the grind of an mmo but hate people and good design, I can see why you like 12

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The combat in 12 is just automated ATB without the interesting mechanics like staggering in 13 or interesting boss phases like 14

but some people love ATB no matter what so meh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I played FFXI for a while and quit because of what I'll call "hurry up and wait". It just always seemed like a massive slog and I was a RDM so I know I speak as a class that was required by everyone. Another thing that annoyed me was I liked subbing BLM but basically everyone wanted me to be subbing NIN which I hated playing as.

I say all this to ask how does XIV compare? I've often said that XI taught me a lesson about MMOs forever. If that's just how MMOs are fine MMOs aren't for me I'm just curious as to whether it's any friendlier to people.

E: also holy crap I forgot how much goddamned time I spent farming margwort to make sweet rice cakes just to make a little money in that damned game. Oops I faced the wrong direction lost a bunch of ingredients yayyyyy

11 is almost nothing like 14, 11 is more like everquest while 14 is super streamlined WoW except you can change into any class at any time and literally any combination of dps/tank/healer can win a fight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I'm at the very end of the game, gearing up to return to Insomnia, and I'm only just now realizing that I'm total garbo at the battle system. Enemies regularly hit for 1/4~1/2 of my HP (which when you have like 1.5k, is only like mid-300s), and I constantly get clowned on and hit into the Danger zone. Items are the only things keeping me alive. Is there some trick to avoiding damage that I'm missing, or is it just a matter of stacking vitality or something? My usual FF strategies are totally useless here and I'm confused as hell.

Dodge, it's an action game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The ff15 team has nothing to do with FF7r, it's not even the same engine. The people who make the Ultimate Ninja Storm Shippuden games are making FF7r.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Is it confirmed anywhere that (ending spoiler) the bros and Noctis are all killed at the end? My wife thinks they were just knocked out by Ardyn, but I think they are dead

Uh, isn't there a literal scene afterwards that Ardyn boss battle of them talking to each other? Now whether they die on that last stand, who knows but Ardyn didn't kill them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cancerianmoth posted:

about that end scene
That scene of the boyfriends around the campfire, from what I got, is before they went to confront Ardyn in Crown City. It was to cement the feels by showing that Noct wanted to say something to the boyfriends about how amazing they have been. Kind of a last hurrah. And now that I think about it, the scene where they banish him from the crystal makes more sense if they are all dead. They showed pretty much everyone that had died during the game and the boyfriends were there too. Which now makes me even more sad.

No, I'm talking about the scene where the 3 guys have a last stand against Iron Giants while Noctis goes up and Knights of the Round himself

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: Haha. "I am Noctis, Prince of Lucis and King of fishing!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtrDMCMhKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Doea the ff15 trailer reveal count as expenses, because most of that didn't make it in

• Locked thread