Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if the point of the demo was to kill hype with a really awful 20 fps romp with bad combat then they accomplished their goal with flying colors. I'm just gonna assume this was an old engine demo and combat will probably be better? can't see why they would dumb down what we saw a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The store near my place is handing out copies at 11 pm tomorrow instead of midnight for some reason, which is cool because I'm sure there's going to be a giant day one patch anyway. Crazy to think that I will finally be playing this drat game in a little over 24 hours.

I'm one of those weird people that loved MGSV so everything I'm hearing about this game so far has me pretty pumped.

why is everyone comparing the game to MGSV? strong gameplay and mediocre story? when was the last time a poo poo story stopped anyone from buying the last decade-plus of final fantasy games though?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

It's not that story in MGSV was bad, it was just obviously incomplete and hastily patched together.

after MGS4, which stuffed a War and Peace sized story that was loving awful beyond rational belief into a game, being relegated to cassette tapes was a godsend. maybe it will be the same with FF15 because everything involving the Lightning trilogy seemed terrible to me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo chapter 13 is shockingly loving bad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gotta love how prompto's secret is built up and then loving handwaved away by even the main characters in the course of like half an hour. a loving invalid got hold of this game for the last half and ruined it with barely intelligible poo poo. "let's replace the fun roadtrip hunting cooking game with something comparable to the worst elements of past FF games" what the heck

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Something's compelling me to dip back in every now and then. I might push through until the bad bits and see how unbearable it is.

I think part of it is that I seem to be terrible at the combat and can't work out why. No matter how good I get at dodging about (holding/tapping square) and parrying, I seem to get knocked into 'danger' every few seconds, even against enemies way below my level. It's like there's an armour stat or an easy way to triple health that I've not noticed.

And then I usually win by running back, warp striking, holding circle for a bit then repeating until I need to use a potion. Or chucking out a single spell.

the "bad bits" happen past chapter 8ish. IMO as soon as you hit Altissia the game starts a gradual dip (besides a boss fight against a god which is cool) and then eventually becomes an unbearable restricted slog. basically they thought "how can we take all the fun bits like camping, hunting, worldskipping, and charming banter, and dash it all against the rocks."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

TBH I find a lot of these opinions kind of baffling. The second half of the game definitely has some issues but it's still quite enjoyable. The first half has maybe a few good story missions but is otherwise just really really bad open world garbage. Just loving terrible quest design all around from farmers asking you to do their literal job for them to hunting quests that may have been decent but were ruined by one of the worst quest systems I've ever seen. The characters that aren't part of the main storyline range from forgettable to embarrassing. All spread around a deceptively big, empty world designed to look pretty as you drive around on rails while your best friends sit in silence. If that's not your style, you can instead choose to spend 8 of the first 20 hours of the game staring at loading screens.

Really, the only worthwhile things to explore in the world were the dungeons, which may as well have been locations on an overworld map.

the second half of the game is like 70% almost loving nothing while doing everything in its power to annoy you, whether its taking away some or all of your party or forcing you to walk, not run, through 2 hours of narrow corridors for boring "dodge everything" encounters with soldiers. you can count the amount of fun fights on one hand. get off a train and talk to one loving old lady, get back on the train, chapter done. oh wait fight a scorpion robot spam ignis ability, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people compared the game to MGSV and I agree with that notion in that chapters 9-13 = Part 2.

MGSV's main frustration to me though was solely the Sahalanthropous final batle which sucked rear end

• Locked thread