Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I run my PS4 at 720 (my tv is one of those cheap-rear end fake 1080 sets) and have an SSD in there, so at least one or both of those really held back on the framerate issue - I didn't notice anything aside from when messing with the blocks

On the plus side, it's really pretty aside from the strong ailising, but on the downside it feels sluggish as hell. I may be spoiled by FFXIV's godly control scheme, but I'm frankly done with button mashing games.

The ground targeting for the grenades are extremely hard to pull off, you really have to struggle with the reticle to get it to find the correct distance, and the marker of where it will actually hit places form way before function. The driving is also really bad, though you can hopefully chalk that up to it being toy cars. The turning radius seems like it's about 20 car lengths, the accelleration is worse than a first gen prius, and the controls need a lot of work. For example, if you want to do a 3 point turn, holding the brake/reverse button doesn't automatically turn into reverse even after a long time of just holding the button. Even if you're just moving at the slightest crawl, you need to hold the brake button until your fully stopped, then you let go of it, then you push and hold again to actually move in reverse, all while turning at a maybe 5 degree angle since that's the best it can muster.

Sprinting is really meh, for the longest time I thought it wasn't actually doing anything at all until I finally noticed the animation difference, there's no real indicator or perceptible speed difference. After experimenting with the control it seems like it's a push button to trigger the sprint 'ability' and he keeps sprinting until the timer runs out then sprint is on a cooldown, but even now I'm not quite sure.

Swordplay is at least decentish, switching weapons mid-combo at least seems to have good animations and boosts your damage, but the problem is that it's just so boring. I know ARPGs aren't really MMOs, but it really would work a lot better if you could split up your attacks with actual swordplay abilities like any class in FFXIV rather than just having a KH mash-for-single-combo system.

Final fight was better, but it didn't really telegraph what attacks you were supposed to defend against, dodge rolling didn't work at all (did it stop being a thing post-kid?), and there was a sudden QTE that came out of absoultely nowhere in the middle of an attack. Sure, QTEs are fine for an ARPG, but the first one should have appeared during the kid tutorial section, not the first "real" fight, especially with such a short timer on the action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If they're not going download-only, they probably already are within 8 weeks of the hard deadline to cover the time it takes to produce and ship the physical discs. Doing a day-1 patch is an option, but they don't exactly have a lot of time left for version 1.0

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

I honestly believe that FF becomes less popular as the visual fidelity improves.

Lower fidelity means that the art direction matters much more than the art execution, and SE has always been absolutely stellar at art direction. In lower fidelity stuff, your mind fills in the gaps; in higher fidelity, the artists are forced to omit things (like 10 billion beads on a single outfit) while at the same time anything that seems a little bit off brings down the implied quality of the entire piece/game

• Locked thread