Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My heart was limit broken by a severe lack of Eclair "Lightning" Farron already.

This game could be okay though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's FFXIII music on YouTube.
I want fresh Lightning.

Which video was the one with the flying car, anyway? I didn't catch that bit when I watched them earlier. I don't have access to a PS4 to play the demo right now.

Donnerberg posted:

Hey, so the game wiki says FF15 is part of Fabula Nova Crystallis, which is a subseries containing all the FF13s. Should I be worried? Will I need to know the lore of the FF13s?

It started as vs 13, which was Fabula Nova Cystallis, but it isn't anymore so no, you won't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okay, I'll go look at the flying car.

e:
It was good

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 31, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I went round to my brothers house to play the Platinum Demo.

It's a nice sandbox to get a try of the game's mechanics if nothing else. It kind of sucks as a complete package. The combat doesn't feel very satisfying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

What did it feel like to you?

Pretty uninvolved. It's an unusual feeling to me to have a game that is quite clearly in the same mould as an action RPG have largely automatic attacking.

It's hard to disconnect the style of this game with something like Kingdom Hearts, which does ARPG better than Platinum Demo or a much more distant cousin like character action games such as Devil May Cry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

The game is supposed to have two separate combat modes that you can toggle. One is supposed to allow for a less "automated" style. Is that the case with this demo and if so then which mode were you playing?

No idea, I booted it up and played through as default. I didn't have the luxury or real time to get comfortable and fully tailor my experience because I was visiting someone elses place. I didn't want to impose too much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

See, that's the kind of thing I want to see and the game should go a length to show you that you can do this and encourage it more actively.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Unlucky posted:

they actually made a good world and likable characters here

It's pretty hard to commit to either of these things without having played the game, honestly. The world might be visually stunning, it at least looks well designed in its centrepieces but if it's empty with little to do other than traverse it, it's not a good world. The characters might also be boring as gently caress outside what they've shown off so far (which is obviously parts they're proud of)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Platinum Demo is free but it's more a sandbox where you can test some poo poo with close to final mechanics/shine.

Episode Duscae is outdated mechanics but a closer representation of what the full game will be and that's what was included with Type-0.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 1, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no Wii U but I'd like to play XCX one day.

I want a big robot to kill little things with.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They probably have a lot more time to go gold than you'd imagine, honestly.
Most of the time, you get reports that games have gone gold like 2 weeks before launch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, girl Cid is no longer the real Cid? Lame.

Wasn't that always the case? Like she's the new Cid in the Cid family but another member of the family shows up as well.

I vaguely recall them saying that she wasn't the Cid to begin with and the other relative (Grandpa) was the Cid too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 5, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Game Informer: Final Fantasy XV 20 page size 40 font blowout!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Real life song in FFXV... Lightning lives in France now...

LIGHTNING
CONFIRMED FOR
FINAL FANTASY XV

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's bizarre that Squaresoft/-Enix had employ of Yasunori Mitsuda and never had him compose a Final Fantasy and that Hitoshi Sakimoto has only really done Ivalice for them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The game looks ugly as sin, but at least Noctis looks much improved after the time skip.

The posh one (Ignis?) not so much.
Hopefully they've tweaked up the gameplay since Platinum Demo somewhat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I only watched Gamespot's 45 min video from this set because I didn't want one with commentary and the game looks better than it has historically, but I get big "style over substance" vibes from it. The world seems pretty empty and outside of the staple fetch/kill quests, not much to do in it. Chilling in the Regalia ought to be fun for a while, especially if there are ways to do jumps from cliffs and cause traffic accidents and poo poo.

It's definitely much wider in scope than NieR: Automata, but while the world of that game has been barely shown, it's probably fair to say that it's in the same umbrella of pretty barren world with generic quests but what NieR 2 has over this is that Platinum are making it so you know the combat is going to be extremely fun for long periods. I think that's something that XV is going to struggle with. XV has got quite some ground to make up to be the open world JRPG of Square's I want to play most.

Would like to know if this is from a Pro or not too. I don't really have access to a PS4 anymore but I'd still consider travelling to where I can play with one if that footage was stock PS4 and we get a bit more to do when the game's further in. Noct has a fishing skill, so maybe it has a nice fishing mini game.

Really minor nitpick:
Why is it that Noctis is the one receiving phone calls when the quest is completed. It annoys me when this sort of poo poo happens, when characters get extremely well timed and convenient phone calls. It's a phone, why can't he say "I'll ring Cindy, let her know we're done" and then the conversation flow can go the same "Oh, by the way, Noctis, I got a message from Blah and he says Blah Blah, can you go do it?".

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 8, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

Maybe if you watched the video with commentary you'd see some of that substance because they veer off the road and inspect stuff and do side things.

And no all the recent footage is from Xbone/PS4.

I'll watch the Eurogamer video later then. Good that it's on the original PS4 too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It amazes/depresses me how graphically nitpicky people have become. :psyduck:

Eh, it amazes/depresses me when people settle for subpar. Not particularly speaking about this game, the final build seems much improved, but in general. Swings and roundabouts, innit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't understand how you enjoy anything then. Literally everything cuts corners somewhere because nothing has an infinite budget. You, by necessity, have to settle for 'good enough' at some point because every game compromises somewhere.

Not to mention that by only allowing the Best Possible Graphics you cut out the ability for lower-tier companies to make things and many of those companies create solid games that make up for their graphics with other elements that they couldn't do if they focused entirely on visuals.

Many games with top of the line graphics have to sacrifice length or quality or else have abnormally long production schedules they couldn't stick to if they didn't have other sources of income.

Lotta words for "I do not understand the meaning of the concept of being on par."

The phone call thing is something at least I brought up, I dunno if others did, and I called it a minor nitpick like it is. It has no real impact on the game in any largely appreciable manner other than taking you out of the moment a little. Intrusive graphics issues that create visual issues that people dislike are considerably more significant than convinient phone calls.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In what world can you take that away from literally anything I've said? Name one time I've said, in any thread on any forum on earth, that they could have everything and anything without compromise. You won't find it because I never have and never will. The reflection work for mirrors in Mafia 3? Subpar. Don't talk down to people because you're think you're speaking from some higher authority, either, it's embarrassing for you. "Get a grip"? Shameful.

It's an entirely different argument that it's okay to express disappointment that people are happy to settle for subpar and even apologetic on behalf of developers for it. It's also entirely possible to say "this asset is subpar and should be better" and still enjoy the game itself. This one part that people are leaping to defense of in FFXV is subpar. It looks worse than that of its peers. Being on par doesn't mean "no corner cutting" or " it's good enough". It just means average. Exclusively. The incidental animation work in FFXV is well above par, I guess the entire game is extremely good and amazing now that people here seem to think that one thing in a game being labelled subpar means that it's utter poo poo, apparently, so the opposite must also be true.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It looks pretty good overall, it's nothing on the level of what you can get on a good PC obviously, but it's not available on one of those either. It comes out looking a little less handsome than Witcher 3 for sort of similar game comparison. The water effects people are complaining about are an eyesore. I'm really impressed with the leaps they've made for this final build overall. I didn't think they'd be able to get the framerate as consistent as they apparently have done, and the lighting is much improved over old builds too.

There aren't many games that make my favourites list that even attempt photorealism either, I'd rather the industry as a whole stepped by from attempting it. I prefer art styles that have a longer shelf life, things like Okami. The water thing is just an ugly effect that other games have handled better/more inventively. Simple as. Once again though, criticising a poor element is not saying it's all bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everyone/thing is gay for Gladio.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr. Citan Uzuki as a character is 100% the type of person who would make a game with an excellent disk one and then not bother at all* with disk 2, so it fits in that sense too.

*I know it's not a case that Square weren't bothered enough to finish disk 2 or whatever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stumpus posted:

Every final fantasy is on PC. I'll wager this one will be out on PC in a few months.

I'd bet on it making it to PC one day too, not as quickly as you suggest, but there's not much point in saying "it'll look great etc etc" in an hypothetical PC version at this point. It'll be interesting to see what they add to it should it happen though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i dont remember michaelangelo going around taking pictures of the other turtles bulges

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

well maybe someone should share the goods instead of withholding them!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Med School posted:

I think Citan would work on a game for years and make it truly great....without so much as a phone call to his family to let them know where he was.

I think this would happen too. They are both extremely Citan things. I loving love Citan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Between the Polygon and Eurogamer first hour vids. I enjoyed the Eurogamer one the most. Aoife and Chris were totally into it the entire time and had a fun time with it.

I actually have gone back and watched Eurogamer's vid since when I said I would and it's definitely better than the Gamespot one, I haven't/won't watch the Polygon one at this point because overkill but it was definitely the better video and showed off the game better and the player was generally more skilled too. It also confirmed Chocobo racing is in and some what customisable so that's another thing to do with the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Noctis is a dork.

The amazon option is the only real option there. 20% off is 20% off. Simple as that.
Minimises your losses if the game sucks, and that's a real thing that can happen when you pre-order anything at all and if it doesn't, you got a bunch of stuff with the game and saved 20%.

The game thing is a limited tie in so it's going to be pretty bad and it'll all be available in the end most likely.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's with all that tax amazon pay to us. They're basically bankrupt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LordMune posted:

13-2 was good, comparatively speaking - and also mostly developed by Tri-Ace. Lightning Returns was Square-Enix again, and it was awful.

The 13 series only gets better as it carries on and has a legit good game by the end. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackfyre posted:

Oh has anyone seen any news on how exactly the Pro supports XV yet? Aside from a few seconds during the Pro announcement I've heard zip.

I think they've said that there's not actually much in the way of Pro features because it was too late but post release they might actually come back and make further enhancements to it, in a similar way that they've talked about making the Windows version in that it would take a lot of work that would detract from the game during its active development stages.

The communication surrounding everything about the Pro is garbage at this point, I wouldn't buy one if I had the means to.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thank gently caress Lightning is the real protagonist all along.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Atelier is fun as heck!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are more and more legit spoilers around now, and I don't know if it's gone and I shan't be detailing it here, but there was an either hilariously bad or hilariously malicious attempt "disguising" a spoiler on a GameFAQS thread title, so definitely don't go into that neck of the woods!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would imagine that he'd fallen prey of a particularly nasty little bug but for the love of Lightning, always hard save when you have finished playing for the mean time regardless of the game should the option be available, even if you leave your game and console running.

MrLonghair posted:

Now I'll stop peeking into the ff15 spoiler thread on gaf.
I don't mind spoilers for anything and I love schadenfreude and they deliver in that thread.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone on 4chan from Peru posted screens from their own game and confirmed major plot elements. I'm not sure about streams at all. There's definitely some new stuff out there, be it locations, grabs of existing parts or otherwise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have a short memory, but I think this is really the first time I remember where a mainline FF hasn't been a monster hype machine everyone's looking forward to and everyone is going to love before it hit. XIII getting a poo poo rep is probably the main contributor to it.

Might be a state of gaming as a whole but it certainly seems that you've got more people laughing at innocuous things, already hashing out their effort posts about just how -ist it is for others. It's a social media world, everyone has the right and need to pipe up.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to invent a way that collects every post on the intermet that's mad about FF13 and then reveals if they've actually played it yet and see what the true number is.

Part of me still thinks it's still at least partly because of what they've been told.

And this magic method also makes these posters appreciate Lightning.

• Locked thread