Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not 100% of the assets look worse, I'd even say some look better in the interest of fairness.

And then you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc
2:00 minutes in.

As strange as it may sound, on the iOS ports, everything looks overlaid where originally, it's all fitting and looks like it's embedded because it looks like it's the same palate.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Makes me shudder

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

the ios port looks fine if you aren't wearing your glasses and are also fresh off of a severe head injury

can you order the severe head injury DLC to accompany your purchase of iOS 5 or 6?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

Real men exclusively play FF6 on the Micro

I have the Super Famicom version so I'm going to say the SFC version is the only way to play even though I don't have a Super Famicom console, can't read Japanese and don't know if my cart works so only have it for collectors sakes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Same for Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger is really good
Let's all have a moment of appreciation for some good boys who would be great roadtrip buddies: Robo and Frog. Love those guys.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Keiichi Okabe, composer of NieR 1,2 and Drakengard 3, is doing Gladio's theme in the DLC and a new version of Battle at the Big Bridge from FFV in a NieR style.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He mentioned that BatBB has vocals.
And when I think of NieR vocals, I think Emi Evans.

And BatBB with Emi Evans is something I NEED.

e: heh they're playing it on the trailer right now, it's not Emi Evans but it sounds really good. They'll be launching this trailer soon on YT surely.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Motto posted:

I don't care that much but a "I NEED MORE POWER" quest is a little odd since he comes back the same.

He meant it in a "more powerful sexiness" way, which he got with his cool new scars.

Which is frankly unfair, considering his starting point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Gladio randomly swung between "loyal big brother" and "tough love" and it was kind of jarring every time it happened.

The only reason he can give tough love is because he's the loyal big brother, so it's not really random or contradictory in a character sense but I also agree with your point. The Titan time he chews you out is really random and dumb. The stuff on the train is pretty good, it makes sense and deals as much with Gladio's lack of knowing how to deal with it all as much as Noct's but it feels random because we don't see anything from the two weeks the game skips, so I feel that's more a failing of story telling than it being a specific Gladio flaw.

For all intents and purposes, Ignis doesn't exist as a character before he's blinded. Prompto's stuck being a player avatar in story parts, but I feel like he has a pretty fleshed out in side content so he's pretty good. Gladio is pretty clearly the bro they thought most of and worked on most though. There should probably have been a scene in the game where Gladio and Noctis both deal with or talk about the fact they lost their dads in Kingsglaive stuff together. Have it so Gladio's not very good at empathising with Noctis because he just doesn't really know how, so while he's sad at losing his own dad, he can't relate to the upset Noct has over losing Regis.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 14, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want a car of bizzaro bros to park up alongside the Regalia and talk poo poo about Ignis' cooking and then you curb stomp them in a cook-off with the most delicious meal of all time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Him wingmanning you with his sister was kind of weird though since you were sort of on your way to get married.

I see it more as him just being nice to Iris indirectly because he's a big dumb oaf who has trouble with it and maybe partially because he's not sure anyone involved her has a good end waiting so a little wish fulfilment for her isn't going to hurt.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It all aligns with the 4chan rumours from a month or two back and I don't think any of it has been contradicted just yet.

With Episode Gladio out real soon, there's some stuff listed here that is so specific that it should be able to be debunked or given some credibility.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone played through the new chapter 13?
How do you feel about it compared to the old one, if so?

WaltherFeng posted:

So timed quests are temporarily suspended according to patch notes. Did they do it because of the negative feedback?

"If you care about this, you probably enjoy our game, why not buy Episode Gladiolus!!! Yes, we're ignoring that you will be tired of that long before timed quests are back".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The version numbers are out of sync with that leak now, which is sort of the least meaningful aspect of it.

Though

Onmi posted:

4chan spoilers right again it seems

Update 1.06: Chapter 13 adds Gladio as a playable character to this chapter, [you go with Ignis the whole time and he needs to be protected. Some new cutscenes are added with Ravus and Iedolas Aldercapt.]

says that the specified content here is correct, while the .06 is wrong.

So overall, I'd say it's a very small strike against the 4chan list but a big strike for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's definitely a person who visits /v/ who has insider knowledge up to a level. This person had general plot detail/spoilers for the entire game up long before release.
They adopted a trip the last time they posted some I think so it may be easier to single them out in future if they keep using it. After the track record they've had, I'm willing to believe the rational parts of what this leaker says compared to other leaks. Naturally, without the trip, it's impossible to say who is who on /v/, which is both good/bad in this sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be mad if I'd bought a console for this, but I'm not upset with paying £40 for it. Game could have been better but I appreciate the fact they feel like they should make it better without locking the improvements behind the DLC pack purchases too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

They could have released a game with a coherent story

This is true of most video games, to be honest, but truer of FFXV than most, yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

Please point out any recent triple a games that have stories like this poo poo show. With these budgets and time.

Come the gently caress on you guys.

As the original sayer of this thing that was said, I would argue that both recent and triple a games having garbo stories that are incoherent are less common because storytelling has become more important as a whole to the general public

that said

MGSV, which kind of follows the trajectory FFXV did as a whole, but without the post release support for SP and attempts at making the main reason people bought it actually good.

e: Hadn't read Crappy Jack's post before posting this so that's why I'm suggesting the same game he said

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Gladio part of Chapter 13 is alright. I don't think it's amazing or anything but it's interesting.

The way Gladio plays is kind of... eh. I think it would feel a lot better if rolls and blocks cancelled animation. That goes for Noctis gameplay too, imo.
I think the Gladio DLC is probably appropriately priced for what it's going to turn out to be, at least. It seems like it will be a nice aside from the existing game.

There definitely are a bunch of translation liberties at the end of it too. There's like 2 words said by the JP voice actors and long rear end lines of English subs.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I just started playing chapter 13 with Gladius and he feels pretty great to use in my opinion. His VA is as monotonous as ever and one of Ignis's first lines is the understatement of the year.

Also lol at-
"it could be one of the Empire's 'alternative facts' "

Edit: how the heck so you actually start Episode Gladius?

It says it's available now but it's actually not, afaik. It goes up tomorrow I think?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about Death Stranding is that it's just as much chance of being utter garbage as it has of actually being good.

For all the flak Konami should and do get, is there any actual sign Kojima was going to finish MGSV and make an actual good story out of MGSV? 'cos adding that mission where you pop a cap in Eli on the island doesn't make the total poo poo premise good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If Sony somehow, in the midst of stroking that huge ego and giving him money and a studio where he is king, also mandated an editor with an all powerful veto where they can say "this is too expensive, ambitious and will detract from the game so no dice buddy" and that's that, Death Stranding will be good.

In the much more likely scenario where Kojima is allowed to make whatever the hell he wants with whatever Hollywood person he wants, the game will maybe make PS6 and it'll suck.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

So they tweaked the way the ring works a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHLnbCkW8pk

i might go get the poo poo that lets you do this because it looks fun in a "haha what even is game balance" way

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Except the bit where they decided to entomb their ancestors on the top of a volcano and other silly places.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kin posted:

I read that there's also some luck and magic stats involved, etc?

Apparently you can get the +250 magic stat accessory that people use from Justice Monsters V in Altissia after 35 chests.

I didn't play it for more than a minute but apparently it's really easy to do?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently there's a very special reward for beating all of the challenges...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pierson posted:

Just finished this and it kicked both my rear end and my heart. I guess most people have talked about it a lot already and how some things about the plot seemed ropey as gently caress but I want to ask about one thing specifically in chapter 13: Did I somehow miss a cutscene/entire side-story about Noct and Ravus? I see gifsets around of Ravus fighting with/near the Emperor and Noct meeting what looks like a dying Ravus but I never saw any of that in my game. Noct is thrown down the tower and gets the sword from his corpse, then later on we fight his half-zombie body.

Is this something from the Chapter 13 patch people say is going around? I assumed that the game would auto-update like most patches but is that not the case?

Overall thought it was great but there were so many times I just thought "wait we're done here already?", especially after Chapter 9. We passed by so many cool places that were relegated to background vistas. :(

I saw that stuff in Gladio version of Ch.13. Select that version from the special option on the main menu if you didn't play it. I don't know how the updated natural playthrough of Ch.13 plays now so I dunno if it lets you swap or anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

Do you mean the DLC give this or this some kinda new challenge available?

The challenges in the DLC, so not available without purchasing Episode Gladio.
Sorry it probably doesn't make a lot of sense if you don't notice the post before mentioning Episode Gladio.

I watched all the cutscenes in the DLC earlier because I'm waiting for it all to come out before either picking and choosing or getting the season pass.

From those alone, kind of seems like this should have been Episode Cor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The subs clearly being unable to match the Japanese is weird and makes it blatant something isn't meshing properly here so it's a bit jarring and takes you out of the moment somewhat. It's not a big deal but it's weird.

If people are getting upset about the "alternative facts" joke though... :sad:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

The also made a Fake News quip as well

I either missed this one or glossed over it. Either way, it's good stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

Localization chat between this and the persona 5 thread is probably my least favorite thing to read about. If it impacts you that much, learn Japanese and move.

Alternatively, stop reading localisation chat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, maybe, but I don't think these concepts are going to be flash in the pan things like sticking Doge on a billboard will.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

youd have t be a proper usuratonkachi ya dig?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Did you know there are games released in Japan where all the original voice acting is in English where none the less the Japanese text doesn't say the same thing as the English voice acting? Crazy, I know!

Citation needed buddy!!!!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I remember one guy back in the day who would not, could not believe that DMC4's acting was originally recorded and dubbed in English.

e: which, now that I think about it, may not have actually been the case, so I'm glad I wasn't actually involved in the argument.

I don't recall DMC4 but I'm almost certain this is true for Bayonetta. I believe they had to find a Japanese voice actress for Bayo for the anime thing they did. It makes sense with Bayo being set in fake Europe, after all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm p big on that oxygen meme

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm imagine that such a quick bugfix release is going to patch that up for sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Playable Ara~ Ara~nea is the correct pick.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really care about Armiger and I don't really know what stat-changing magic would entail but all of the rest is legit as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terper posted:

There are only two types of games: Bad and Games I like.

• Locked thread