Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I'm hoping is that we get a real return to form with this one, a nice fun good versus evil story with a lot of melodrama, except now it's also attached to an open-world RPG with a lot of systems to be fed into, crafting and cooking and poo poo, so I can spend hours just exploring and hunting rare monsters.

Honestly, I think those things are mutually exclusive. The more open world a game is, the less you'll care about the story no matter how it's written, just because of pacing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I found chapter 13 tolerable because spamming Alterna is inherently funny to me. Also, jump scares aside, I thought the portrayal of what happened to the empire was creepy and effective. I never felt like I was in any danger, and there's no reason to actually use stealth because you have Alterna, but the "something is horribly wrong here" atmosphere still worked extremely well for me. Actually, it reminded me in a good way of all the times in earlier dungeons where your party would comment on how creepy things were, when they clearly weren't. Given what they did later, I wonder if that disconnect was intentional: nothing can ever be creepy when you have friends with you commenting on it.

That said, Chapter 13 did outstay its welcome, and the Prompto twist was practically a parody.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

And mostly in becoming the antithesis of its free open world opening statement.

I think it was incredibly intentional that you go from the freedom of a car to being stuck on a train right when the story picks up and Noctis starts feeling the weight of his duty. I mean, it's also clear that the second half of the game was rushed and they had to cut out a bunch of towns, dungeons, and setpieces, but the train is pretty obviously symbolic. Putting you on a train was a second opening statement for a new beginning, if you will.

I mean, you don't have to like that part, but I don't think that specific thing was due to a failure in execution: it was by design.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Niflheim are cartoon villains with no real motivation for doing anything they're doing. I often wondered how this non-entity was capable of holding an entire continent with virtually zero infrastructure other than robots. How many Nifs do you actually meet? I think the only reference to there being any people in Niflheim was a throwaway reference to civilians hiding in their homes.

Not saying they don't make sense in the bare-bones context they're presented in, just that fighting villains with no personality is boring so I consider it a flaw.

They all died before the game started. The research notes in chapter 13 talk about an epidemic of Daemon-disease wiping out whole towns left and right. So the empire has been crippled for years, but were controlling the media to hide this, and right before it falls apart completely the Emperor gambles everything on a last-ditch effort to remain relevant by seizing the crystal from Lucis. All this was orchestrated by Ardyn from behind the scenes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Engdame talk:
I kinda disagree because Bahamut practically backs up what Ardyn says, at least with the fact that his soul was so corrupted by demons he couldn't enter the afterlife period. I mean Ardyn loses a lot of his charm if he was just always evil, more than a dark reflection of what a king could become if they failed/strayed from the path.

Personally, I definitely got the impression that what the gods did to Ardyn was unjust, at least from a mortal perspective, but that doesn't change what you have to do in the slightest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

You know, everyone compares 12 to MMOs but I think that's entirely because if you watch someone playing one it looks like an MMO. The combat is not MMOish at all and the setting, writing, and plot are all way tighter than any MMO I've ever played. You can grind if you want to but I've beaten the game like three times with zero grind on any of the playthroughs.

There's a somewhat confusing double meaning of the word "grind": some, like you, use it only to mean going out of your way to fight battles for XP/money, while others use it to refer to any non-boss enemy encounters, especially if they consider the battle system inherently unfun. In my experience, dungeons in FF12 are extremely tedious and boring and I've never managed to get through the beginning of the game without literally falling asleep. I have no idea if the writing is good or not because the rest of the game is the most effective sedative I have ever experienced.

Honestly, I would consider it less fun to play than most MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I, for one, was endlessly amused by repeatedly spamming X-Zone on everything for a chapter.

• Locked thread