Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did they secretly comission Kojima to make the song choice for the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poo poo happens. People are way too emotionally invested in this stupid game (but hey, what's new)

Provided this rumour is true, the marketing department has been thrown under a bus here. I could very well imagine they have no idea what's going on at the development side.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The bigger question is:

Which will come out first, FFXV or Nioh? I believe the latter also has targeted 2016 release but no date.

I hope at least one of them comes out so I can spend my tax returns

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Smart move: remember how many people dropped FFXII because Vaan was an annoying twerp?

Edit: Justice Monsters Five is up on the Play Store, assume the same is true for the iOS App Store.

I'm not sure where that comes from. Vaan is incredibly inoffensive for a JRPG character if we ignore his rock hard abs.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think I'm the only person in this thread who liked XIII.

I didn't see any trailers, avoided everything for the entire marketing campaign. This was only because I was in a phase of just not caring about video games so I didn't seek anything out.

Then I bought it at Kmart during the last time they actually sold video games...and then I liked it. :v:

Am I broken?

FFXIII is alright. However, they started the actual development of the game way too late in the production and it shows. Did you know, the developers admitted in a postmortem interview that they didn't have any concrete playable builds until they were ordered to release a public demo for it alongside the Advent Children movie?

That sorta explains why there's very little to do in the game outside following a set path and fighting monsters

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

People are going to call it a train wreck no matter what. People are already calling it a trainwreck from the 3 hours of footage we have!

Oh look at that foliage. It's like 2000s here :smug:

Uuuuuuuggghh

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RottenK posted:

final fantasy XVI will have hair based combat

I love Bayonetta

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Getting tax returns, a christmas bonus from work and FFXV on the same month.

:feelsgood:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I can't wait for Food vs Noctis.

I will eat evvvverything

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played the demo. It was goooodd.

I still haven't grasped the battle system, mostly because dodging feels a lot different from action games like Bayonetta and MGR.

But everything else? Fantastic. Graphics, music, evvvvrthing

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

So if I'm great at DMC/Bayonetta/MGR:R, will any of those skills translate over at all? I have no demo access

The gameplay is definitely slower and you need to make smart tactical choices when engaging enemy packs. You can't cancel out of everything with split second reflexes and warping to safety to get breathing room is smart.

I still don't understand how I'm supposed to incorporate dodging into the combat but I'm sure the English version clears that a bit.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 12, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It also has GT cockpit view.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

For non Japanese speakers allow me to confirm prompto is a huge idiot in Japanese too and will gladly drop a pun and take a pic when Ignis gets laid out instead of helping at all

GOTY 10/10

I lost it when Prompto sang the FF victory theme.

I love this game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm preordering digitally so I'll be playing the game exactly at midnight (Did the same thing with DkS3).

Man, not looking forward to the next morning.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kingsglaive is super boring but it does help with the "who's who and what's what" if you haven't read anything about FFXV's setting and plot

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"Honey, I'll be staying up late monday evening"

"Why?"

"Final Fantasy XV is coming out"

*Deep sigh*

I'm terrible

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm one of the people who played FFXV.

I'm currently late for work as I overslept after 4 hours of playing Chapter 1.

Good game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I really wish it had an option to make lock a toggle rather than having to hold R1 down the whole time.

R1 > R3

I don't use it because it messes up my warps.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

There are no bad reviews. No great ones either (from reputable sources.) Does that mean the game is worth playing? Or should I wait a month?

I don't know what to tell you other than if you like Action RPGs, just plunge in and take the risk.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just in case anyone wants to share their day one FFXV experiences, here's my stream I recorded for my friend
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieSYL3PsrA

(Warning, this game has a lot of walking)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've come up with a new Ray Ceh Payh!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The problem I have with Wait mode is that it pauses the game even when all the enemies are dead so you have to hold something.

I much prefer real time, but still undecided on the control scheme (A still being my default for now)

I found a dungeon by accident it was super creepy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So what does the reverse warping stuff mean they mentioned in the patch notes?

EDIT: Nvm it's when you use magic at close range. Noctis throws the bomb and warps away. Looks hella cool

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 2, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Is there a reason you can hit the brakes of the car when not driving? Aside from the fact that Ignus' confused apology is hilarious.

You can avoid random encounters with Daemons and Magiteks that spawn on the road.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Note that one of the features for Tabata's Type-O was each playable female character having unique panties.

http://andriasang.com/comynw/

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At last, they have stopped with the cave dungeons.

Also people do Dino's quests he leads you to dungeons. Also Dino is great, a co-worker and I were giggling like maniacs imitating his voice. I don't love the quests themselves but I love every ridiculous thing about Dino. A journalist by day and an amateur jeweler by night like what the gently caress

Which dungeons, where specifically? I might've missed some

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So
Many
Sidequests

I just reached Lestallum and I'm at 20 hours. Still, I'm totally addicted

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

MMD3 posted:

yeah, for anyone like me who feels like the combat is probably the weakest part of this game I'd suggest turning on Wait mode if you haven't already. It doesn't exactly solve all the problems but as far as I can tell it's the only way to actually use libra and figure out wtf the enemies you're fighting's weaknesses are consistently without trial and error and trying to remember a bunch of jumbled combat damage numbers flying by.

I have yet to use magic for anything substantial because the AOE is loving lovely and I'm sick of constantly having my guys nuke each other. If I could reliably target enemies without killing my dudes I'd definitely be using a lot more magic.

As far as I've noticed, magic doesn't deal any significant damage to your teammates. It's mostly cosmetic and magic is super useful against enemies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It's good?

I admit there isn't a whole lot music so far in the game so far besides battle themes but holy poo poo they are good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I could not stand the anime dolls and the music in XBX. Also I like having my map clearly laid out for me with points of interest instead of what the gently caress is this XBX grid hell

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm level 30 and I got burned out by all the optional stuff so I finally finished Chapter 3.

I still haven't even touched Duscae monster hunts and I'm completely broke. There's so much stuff to buy and everything is expensive :(

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So are any of the basic attacks/defenses timing-based? Like for block/parry do I have to time that or as long as I'm holding down block when the attack comes I'm all right? What about the prompt that appears after a technique?

There's a skill that recovers MP if you time your dodge. Also each weapon has a finisher move if you delay your attack.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

Got around to trying wait mode and it made a lot more sense in actual combat than it did in the tutorial and helps a lot... although for people who are better at juggling a lot of information at once and reacting to it, I could see them preferring doing most combat without it. I, however, am not one of those people.

The stroll around town "quest" in Lestallum was p drat funny. I don't know if it's the same everytime but Noctis' initial "Ehhhh", when Iris commented on how pretty the street was at night, cracked me up. Particularly amusing because the stroll in general was such a FF thing and I just wasn't expecting it to play out the way it did... even if you choose the "nice" options, he just doesn't sound at all convincing.

I don't like Wait Mode because it end up pausing my game when more often than I'd like. If only they could patch Ignis's analyze ability in Active mode.

Why Wait Mode offers exclusive bonuses is beyond me, did they intend it to be the Easy mode?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nina posted:

That same box of the enemies' weaknesses does pop up for me sometimes even though I don't use Wait Mode. No idea what causes it to show up though

It's the Analyze ability I was talking about earlier. The problem is that Ignis uses it only at random and the information is never recorded anywhere. It's baffling that they completely messed it up in favor of Wait Mode.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Control Type C alleviates camera problems since you can just control it manually while using both dodge and attack buttons simultaneously.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

echronorian posted:

Goon opinion on this game after being out a while?

Your overall satisfaction entirely depends on whether you embrace the combat or not. I think it's super cool so everything else is just bonus. I'm still in chapter 4-5 but not a lot of things going narrative wise.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

They really took a page out of FFVIII when designing the level up system, if not as blatantly broken.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

Am I somehow using it wrong or is Gladio's Cyclone skill just awful? Does crap damage and doesn't have a follow up attack for Noctis.

EDIT: When fishing are there any clues to what fish are in each location besides the signs that are there sometimes?

You are using it wrong. After the shockwave Gladio gives Noctis a point warp spot for a finishing move.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So what control scheme everyone is using? I recently adopted Control Type C because it essentially works like Dark Souls with defending and attacking set to shoulder buttons so you can rotate the camera freely while in combat.

I never use lock on for anything but warp attacks so it's really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"Noctis, we need to go to X"

"Several days later"

Driving to place X

Why? There's a ingame time cycle that makes passing of time feel very natural (especially since sleeping and eating are major gameplay mechanics)

Why everything happens few days later?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 13, 2016

• Locked thread