Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i think i preordered the ultimate edition twice :( also my order sheet is coming up blank on squar enix store. so maybe i didnt order anything. what do i do?

It took about 15 min to receive the confirmation email after ordering. I'm sure you'll be able to cancel one of the orders if you did accidentally order two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Have there been any carbuncle summon prizes aside from SE points and the yellow car skin?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

No, other people liked 13 too, they tend to get drowned out because the people who hated it really hated it.

Strangely enough, Lightning Returns is my least favorite of the three. I have tried to get into it twice now and the schedule/time limit just turns me off entirely. 13-2 is my favorite because you get to wander off much earlier in the story and Noel isn't as much of a twat.

Re: carbuncle summon: the only other two prizes I can find evidence of are a lanyard and a $25 SE store coupon.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

2 points shy of being able to carradine myself. is this the last week? was hoping for more colorful outfits or.. anything, really.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

FFIX and FFX both were considered jokes and people loved making fun of how 'lovely' they were at the time. FFIX basically got Wind Wakered ("Why is it so cartoony") and FFX having voice acting/a crazy plot/ect meant it was the butt of jokes for a while.

Really? I thought FF9 was very well reviewed. Looks like Gamespot reviewed the Japanese copy during the summer and other, major sites reviewed it in November when the US version came out.

IGN review posted:

9.9 - GRAPHICS - Too beautiful for words. Every aspect of this game drips with detail - goodness knows how many artists it took to create something like this.

Gamespot review posted:

Graphically, Final Fantasy IX is slightly improved over Final Fantasy VIII. The backgrounds are rich, vibrant, and realistic. Many backgrounds are animated, which further increases the amount of visual detail. The in-game character models are slightly less detailed than those found in Chrono Cross - no doubt because there are four player characters onscreen instead of three. The full motion video cutscenes are as detailed as those in Final Fantasy VIII, though of course the characters themselves don't look as real. Square has been pushing the limits of what the PlayStation can reasonably do for quite a while, so it's difficult to see much improvement over previous games. Even so, Final Fantasy IX is one of the most graphically impressive games available on the console.

Happy Puppy review posted:

...Square pushes the graphics envelope of the PlayStation with more than just snazzy summoning moments. The FMVs are truly among the best stuff this developer has put out, while the prerendered backgrounds and player animations are as detailed as you can get on a machine that has perhaps reached obsolescence. There is movement everywhere in the game, and the city of Lindblum seems truly alive with its whirring windmills and propellers. The FMV sequence when you first enter Lindblum inspires awe like the time you first see Los Angeles in Blade Runner.

The only real negativity I have come across is always related to the audio. Can't say with FFX because I didn't get a PS2 until 2005 (had a GameCube and Xbox, though) and wasn't paying attention anymore, but I really don't think FF9 was ever dismissed as being cartoony...

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason why ff9 didn't sell as well was because it released close to or after the ps2. It was one of those super late bloomers, and FFX was like only a year later.

It also helps that Greatest Hits FF7 and FF8 could be bought for $10 at nearly every video game retailer during the years 2000-2001, which is where a huge chunk of their sales came from, whereas FF9 was a full-priced title that wasn't released in the US until after the PS2 launched. FF7 and FF8 plus strategy guides cost me as much as just the copy of FF9 when I got my PSone. I guess I just hung out in a different circle than y'all because everyone I hung out with or talked to online loved it. Sorry to derail the thread. I forgot there's a general FF thread.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

This was the first PS4 game I popped in since July and not only did I have the initial install and patch, but once I got to the title screen, it took another 20ish min to install. Think it was about 45 minutes after I started the patch that I could play. Might not be as long for digital purchases.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it for about 15 minutes to see if it would ever end or I was ever in danger of dying and ended up just quitting, I got an accessory from it but I dunno if that was a consolation prize or what.

I played it and got to 2.6M points. Everything was level 99 for quite some time. Only thing I got out of it was a defensive accessory. Took over 2 hours. Bleh

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

did anyone get the fuckoff idiot squenix edition yet and if so can you tell me how the DLC is included, i.e. how many codes there are and for which items?

All the DLC is one code located on a slip in the steel book with the game and movie.

And I definitely agree with the Prompto picture idea person being promoted to CEO. Some really cool pictures come out of it and it is the most impressive part of the game for me so far.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Does anyone know why the Jumbo flan hunt refuses to show up at any time of day or night, because I'm beginning to take this personally.

The jumbo flan mission was night only for me. I walked to the tower/yellow marker on the minimap and he spawned out of the ground. Only happens after 8 or 9. If you're in the yellow mission area you might need to step outside the area and reenter after 8.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

In true nerd fashion, I am grinding all of the tech abilities to their highest levels for the biggest crit chance. Last night after a few hours of playing, I was having some weird visual artifacts but only with Ignis's Mark tech. It almost looked like my GPU was overheating, but I couldn't reproduce it with any other abilities. It looked distinctly different from what Mark usually looks like. If it happens again I will try taking a picture with the console's share function. Has anyone else had similar issues or should I be worried about my PS4?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

If it looks like parts of the screen with the special fx becomes filled with squares for a half-second, I've experienced the same thing reliably with Ignis' abilities but no one else's. Mark and the Elemental Imbue abilities both did it. I restarted my PS4 and I didn't notice them after that, but I didn't do a lot of combat after the reset either. I'm hoping it's something that a reset fixes and that SE has on their to-be-patched list, but I'm thankful it wasn't more distracting or detrimental to the game.

There's a lot I would think they touch up with patches over the next few months.

Makes me feel better, thanks. This game is definitely working the console hard but there were similarly-stressing fx from other characters that never wound up bugging out so I couldn't say for sure.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Coeurls won't one shot you unless they're reared up in position with their feeler things glowing blue/white. My problem is that I run out of Phoenix downs because I can't keep the three stooges from running into em head first when that happens.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of annoying when their descriptions are all "Yeah, go ahead and sell this."

Agreed. It took me forever to find another rusted bit because I had already sold the two I found. Now I'm short on Gil but have 200k in treasures I don't wanna sell because I don't wanna have to go through that again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Oh god. How long does that actually take?

Probably 2 hours. If you get lucky and a lot of your stages have side bumpers on them, you can ignore the enemies for a bit and just hit the bumpers to bring up slots. 3 treasures will add 5 to your total and 2 will add 2. If you are really lucky you could get 99 treasures in just 5 rounds. When I played for 2 hours, I had max treasures for at least half of my time so it would have taken an hour if I had just hit circle to back out of the game.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Andrast posted:

Is there a training dummy or something where I can actually practice all the combos and different moves my weapons supposedly have? Normal battles tend to be too chaotic for combo practice.

Not that I've found but if you train at a camp you could use a weak weapon to keep yourself from taking out your buddies in just a few hits. That's how I got used to the different direction+circle moves.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Deified Data posted:

So far I'm loving this game but my biggest gripe is that you can't really indulge in the open-world aspect of the game without outleveling the main content by 5 levels or more. I'm only on chapter 3 - does this ever even out?

I think if you stick exclusively to camping and never use experience boosting skills you could do it, but you'd have to actively try. You'd also have to use low powered weapons for the story missions. I drop down to starter gear when doing story stuff because I just hit chapter 4 at level 54 and it still hasn't been that bad. I also just use defensive accessories instead of anything that boosts strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Classical Muzak posted:

Holy poo poo if you do side quests you get insanely over leveled. I'm in chapter 3 and level 30.

I was level 54 before I moved on to chapter 4. I'd recommend equipping lower level gear and accessories for story missions so you don't blow through them so easily.

• Locked thread