Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sentient Data posted:

I run my PS4 at 720 (my tv is one of those cheap-rear end fake 1080 sets) and have an SSD in there, so at least one or both of those really held back on the framerate issue - I didn't notice anything aside from when messing with the blocks

I run mine at 1080p and did not have framerate issues except during the blocks and the last environment, where it dropped to around 20-25 a lot. No framedrop during the first area even watching the summons so I was like "huh guess they're managing to hit that 30fps" and then well... I don't obsess over FPS but considering they said they were pushing to keep at 30FPS, it's kind of disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
"But the car!" will be one the new "But the music!"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like lettuce, it adds crunch and moisture. I'm all about the classic cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, mayo, ketchup, and relish.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the second magic had limitations in the demo I mentally went "RIP Magic" and have now steeled myself for never using it.

Eh, if magic has a limited number of uses per engagement (think how Duscae's engagements work where it ends when all the monsters are dead) and then you got all the uses back, I think it'd work just fine.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
XCX was fun but you have to go into it knowing the big fun is exploring and fighting monsters. Not a whole lot of story going on, outside the well-written but text heavy side quests. I thought the combat was good but not everyone felt the same way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

He's 22. 1 year older than Cloud and Lightning.

Well, since Balthier was the protagonist of FF12 this is all wrong :can:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Well, just saying "the PC version is a long ways off if at all" will keep this year's console sales strong and that's what they've been saying.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That's something that Tabata might have already been trying to get at when he explicitly said they didn't have a PC version planned right now but we're planning to look into it once they were done with the console versions.

Right now they're pushing very hard to get it done by the release date and this is a huge project. People assumed a PC port wouldn't be long after that but nothing I've heard before this announcement pointed in that direction and certainly not now. The PC version will be a while, possibly a very long while. I'm not console warrioring or something, I have both a PS4 and a gaming PC so I don't have a horse in the race. This is just the reality of the situation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Shoren posted:

Awesome, I didn't even realize she was doing the music for this. There's been a huge void, musically, since Uematsu left and besides the battle theme from XIII, I can't really recall any memorable songs that Hamauzu composed. I have really enjoyed the music Shimomura composed for Kingdom Hearts so I'm optimistic that she'll do a great job with XV.

On the subject of music, does anyone else think "Stand by Me" is out of place in this game? Not that I have anything against the cover, it's a beautiful song and I don't even know enough about Florence to have an opinion on her. But the inclusion of it in XV breaks my immersion in the world they're trying to build because in my mind it's already linked so strongly to the real world.

I agree that it feels out of place and I say that as a big fan of the song, the movie, and FF, mostly because what I enjoy about FF is the other-worldliness of it. I can deal with it though, it's really no big deal.

I'll say that FF15 isn't really telling the same story as Stand By Me, which was an interesting combo of coming of age/facing mortality/the consequences of exploring newfound freedom. FF15 has some of that but also has family issues (facing dad and/or living up to his expectations) and a bit of saving/impressing the girl. Those are coming of age story beats but just not the same ones Stand By Me used.

FF15 most certainly doesn't have a pie eating contest ending in every contestant and the audience throwing up. That scene still makes me laugh uncontrollably to this day.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

They isn't really comparable. Spirits Within was a big-budget theatrical flop, while this was created for the sake of promotion using CG on par with what they regularly use in their games, like Advent Children. It's not cheap, I'm sure, but it's not a threat to the stability of the company.

I dunno, the screenshots I've seen look ridiculously high quality, like kinda busted right past the uncanny valley good. I think they might be actually spending some real money on this thing. It's not getting a theatrical release outside Japan so it's not like they're burning money on it, but still this seems like a step up in effort from Advent Children.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I hope they hook up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nina posted:

God the more I watch the gameplay the more I feel like Prompto's writing is 50% Michelangelo and 50% Sonic Adventure 2. It's charming.

Although the closer we get to the release the less I'm ready to just throw money at the game. I'm pretty concerned about the lasting appeal of the combat system.

It only needs to last for like 50 hours or whatever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

I'm still a bit skeptical about whether FFXV will actually be released

Tabata is already playing Civ6 so it must be finished.

I did hear an odd complaint from a Japanese gamer the other day that the player outfits feel "outdated, like something you might see in a Matrix movie." That is probably the most irrelevant thing to me personally but I guess that's the cost of 10 year dev cycles.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nina posted:

As much as I might sound like a worrywart about the game I really can't wait. I've been replaying the Platinum Demo to death and while the combat is simple it really is fun to just swoosh around.

Interestingly enough I've heard several comments that it's kinda bad compared to the full game. I wonder if they just meant the framerate has been improved.

Supposedly they've ironed out a lot of the performance problems and that was what the extra dev time was for but I guess we'll find out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like how honest and blunt Tabata and Yoshida are in their interviews. That drunken three hour dinner conversation about how Nomura's Versus 13 failed and was turned into Tabata's FF15. To have been a fly on the wall there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nina posted:

He's the worst. He falls on his rear end in combat, points guns at his friends, stands up in the car, won't shut up and I love him for it.

Being voiced by Michelangelo in the dub is just cherry on top.

He's like a totally radical dude.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The Souls series doesn't give you attack cancelling but it is still very oriented around offense, so I'm not sure FF15 will be totally defensive. Are there any quick attacks to supplement the strong attacks?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The bone version looks a little blurrier but is totally serviceable. The framerate is where things are really going to matter though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sam Faust posted:

You know, I'm starting to get the impression that this actually is a real game that is actually coming out.

Don't count your chocobos before they've hatched.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Gologle posted:

I finally understand everything now. ImpAtom wrote the Final Fantasy Fifteen guide. The Prima Vista guide, that is, not an actually good one.

Please check PlayOnline for best tips on Puff Puff Pass minigame.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

SA seems to be the only place that's somewhat positive about this game. Everywhere else, people are complaining about the world being bland, boring and empty with nothing to do which I find surprising as midwestern dieselpunk isn't an aesthetic I see often in games and I don't think the activites you can do are any more shallow than anything in Skyrim and maybe only slightly below The Witcher 3 and are also complaining about the combat being dumbed down. Which surprised me, as I thought FF XV's combat had a surprising amount of depth given that you have to carefully manage MP as a resource and know where in the environment you'll have the best tactical advantages.

There's a lot of people who really, really, REALLY want this game to fail.

Most people I know have written the game off for a multitude of reasons, mostly because "it looks empty and boring," "the cast is not interesting," and/or "what does this game offer that Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't?" I remain optimistic that will be good parts of it but I can't really argue against those points. You get a car/airship that plays classic FF tunes? Cool, but that doesn't really make the game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Like okay yeah, I can maybe see The Witcher 3 offering more than FF XV but Inquisition? Really? The game that wastes 50+ hours of your time with tedious "collect 10 bear asses" quests and the combat isn't really involved enough to make up for it? The people who are viewing FF XV in a negative light compared to Inquisition are batshit crazy.

Well 15 isn't really out yet so it's hard to say. A lot of people really liked Inquisition though, dumb bear rear end collecting and all, I'd guess mostly because of the character relationship crap. I personally got bored with it around the 15 hour mark because it somehow got infected with Ubisoft collectathon-itis. I even liked the combat on the highest difficulty but collecting icons gets boring. So at the very least, FF15 doesn't have that problem.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Windwaker and FF9 are I think the biggest examples in games of fan communities initially being negative but coming to really love them over time. There were plenty of people who loved them at release (I had a friend who didn't love Windwaker from day one and spent every night defending it online, and I loved FF9 from day one myself) but both had a major change in perception that outlasted the initial wave of hate.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Remember that critics are susceptible to hype too and ultimately they're entertainment/hobby critics so they get pampered by publishers and developers. They're in contact with the devs and have some insight into the process so they are usually more sympathetic to the people whose game they are reviewing than the average player.

Part of why critics have become harsher with the series is that they got burnt too both on their credibility taking a hit and maybe feeling like they too bought heavily into the hype. Also, FF is no longer the juggernaut in the console RPG space it once was as both western and Japanese developers have been stepping up and producing very well-regarded RPG's not called Final Fantasy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Spoiler that poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Just gently caress this game if I can't dress Prompto as a sexy maid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Final Fantasy 15 times today I wished it came out this week so I could bliss out and play it over thanksgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

kalensc posted:

Will be on a three day mini holiday as of Tuesday.

Of course it's due to a Tuesday morning wisdom tooth extraction so we'll see just how much I feel like playing. :v:

Take your pain pills and you will probably enjoy the game more than the kids and college students skipping class to play it.

• Locked thread