Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The Tories have an April Fool's joke as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/01/top-uk-earners-to-receive-as-much-in-benefits-as-poorest-by-2020

quote:

The wealthiest 20% of Britain’s earners will receive almost as much support from the state through the “shadow welfare” of generous tax-breaks by 2020, as the poorest fifth take home in benefits, according to a new analysis by the Fabian Society.
Iain Duncan Smith used his resignation letter from the cabinet to criticise the March budget as “unfair,” for juxtaposing reductions in benefits for the disabled with tax cuts for some of the wealthiest in society.
But Andrew Harrop, the Fabians’ general secretary, said his research shows the budget was just the latest step in a radical reshaping of the welfare state, which has shifted resources from the poorest in society to the better-off.
“By the end of the decade, if the Conservatives deliver on their manifesto promises, households in the top fifth of the income distribution will be receiving an average of £9,400 a year in tax allowances and welfare payments; while the poorest fifth of households, for whom benefits may be their only source of income, receive an average of £10,200,” he said.
The cash value of the basic personal tax allowances will have increased by 80% in the decade to 2020; while out-of-work benefits have increased by just 12%. That means the average two-earner couple will be receiving more in basic tax allowances by 2020 than an unemployed couple would be given in benefits. Tax reliefs are rarely considered as equivalent to cash benefit payments; but Harrop argues that the revenue foregone by the Treasury still amounts to financial support, and politicians should ask themselves whether this represents the best use of taxpayers’ resources.”
From the perspective of disposable income it makes no difference whether the government gives you a tax allowance or a cash payment,” he said. “The government must explain how it can justify giving more money to working couples through the ‘shadow welfare’ of tax reliefs than to the unemployed through benefits.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh the Fabian Society has remembered it's meant to give a poo poo about the poor. Guess they're having a collective stroke.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/british-government-invest-billions-solving-housing-crisis-1966

HOUSING 1 hour ago
British government “to invest billions” in solving the housing crisis
By Jonn Elledge

So, this is unexpected: the British government just announced plans to spend billions of public money on the largest British housebuilding problem since the 1930s. Apparently, according to George Osborne, there must be “no barrier” to ending the housing crisis within 10 years. Huh.

The plan will see involve a radical package of measures, intended to double the rate at which Britain is building houses. These include further planning reform; changes to land use restrictions such as the green belt, in order to free up more land for development; and stronger compulsory purchase rules.

On top of that, ministers are planning a major state building programme. In a press release published on the communities department website over night, housing minister Brandon Lewis was quoted as saying that, “if the house building industry will not step up to the plate, then the government must.”

The same release quoted Osborne as follows: “For too long, politicians of all parties have prioritised the needs of elderly homeowners over those of their children. But there must be no barrier – financial or political – to building the homes Britain needs.”

The proposals are understood to have been triggered by concern within the Conservative party that high housing costs were a drain on the economy, and that falling home ownership rate would imperil the party's future electoral prospects. They were originally intended to be included in last month's Budget, but were delayed.

The plan is intended to end the housing crisis within 10 years. In order to cover the transition, tighter regulation of landlords is expected to look obviously this is total bullshit, we're just making it up. The government isn't going to do any of this stuff. Check the date. LOL! Sorry.

But imagine if it were true, eh? Imagine if the government were actually serious about fixing this mess – about using its unexpected majority, and the current weakness of the Labour party, to push through policies that'll benefit today's young people and boost the economy? Even if it costs them a few council seats in the shires. Even if it imperiled someone’s leadership ambitions. Imagine that eh?

Jesus sodding christ, I'm depressed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could have had me up until "major state building programme". I can believe that Osborne would relax planning regs, use eminent domain, and 'invest' millions in private housebuilding as long as it stayed there.

Jumped the shark at “For too long, politicians of all parties have prioritised the needs of elderly homeowners over those of their children." tho.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Labour getting in on the day's events too.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm currently reading the prospectus of the London Ratepayers' Defence League, which was formed in the late 19th century to "oppose reckless and excessive expenditure, and to pursue a policy of economy in the administration off public funds" which notes that "the ever-increasing burden of rates is likely to be diminished only be a determined and united resistance on the part of prominent ratepayers to the present course of extravagance indulged in by the London County Council and the London School Board in particular."

The list of members of the Central Council of the League reads like a Who's Who of Tory Dukes and Earls - people rich enough to have to pay tax to fund schools that they'd never send their own kids to in a million years and they're really :qq: about it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ha, this is actually kind of clever

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

A Labour thing that isn't a massive data collection exercise? Someone's getting fired.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Tin Tower, stop trying to make the Liberal Democrats happen. It's not going to happen.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TinTower posted:

A Labour thing that isn't a massive data collection exercise? Someone's getting fired.

You missed the share to Facebook button at the end

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Igiari posted:

Tin Tower, stop trying to make the Liberal Democrats happen. It's not going to happen.

They already happened and now they're loving dead lol.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cerv posted:

You missed the share to Facebook button at the end

It was obvious where it was going straight away but it was still pretty good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

They already happened and now they're loving dead lol.

All apparently remaining Lib Dems are nothing more than spooky ghosts haunting the grim edifice of British politics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

All apparently remaining Lib Dems are nothing more than spooky ghosts haunting the grim edifice of British politics.

Nah it's like how when a human being dies their muscles relax and so their bowels empty poo poo all over the floor.

The remaining Lib Dem MPs are basically the political party version of that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cerv posted:

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/british-government-invest-billions-solving-housing-crisis-1966

HOUSING 1 hour ago
British government “to invest billions” in solving the housing crisis
By Jonn Elledge

So, this is unexpected: the British government just announced plans to spend billions of public money on the largest British housebuilding problem since the 1930s. Apparently, according to George Osborne, there must be “no barrier” to ending the housing crisis within 10 years. Huh.

Yes. Because the Tories will have been ousted within five years, or so they expect, so ending the crisis within ten years is a nice timetable for the housing bubble to burst under a Labour government. That, or Labour will have to cancel the benevolent Tory plans to build all the new houses we need, and the housing crisis will thus be their fault.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Nah it's like how when a human being dies their muscles relax and so their bowels empty poo poo all over the floor.

The remaining Lib Dem MPs are basically the political party version of that.

It is said that if a samurai is mortally wounded in battle, he should have the strength to make one more action after death. Use it to go "er, moderate radicals, er, mistakes were made, er, Europe is, it's..."
- The Orange Hagakure

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Lib Dems having parliamentary importance was Charles Kennedy's last horcrux

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Is the joke that we as a people still care about the political opinions of royalty?
I thought the article was rather believable up until the picture of Prince Philip featuring a poorly photoshopped raisin in place of his actual human face.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

In a hilariously 'gently caress you' move that I honestly thought was an April fool for a while, China is going to levy a 46% tarriff on UK-made steel.

As part of anti-dumping measures.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jabby posted:

In a hilariously 'gently caress you' move that I honestly thought was an April fool for a while, China is going to levy a 46% tarriff on UK-made steel.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just noticed the thread tag, how long has that been a thread tag?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I like how the article says it came at a bad time. Are the words "economic warfare" taboo in the media? Like having to call mercenaries PMC's?

This is them attempting a coup de grace. This is where a working government would step in and introduce protectionist measures. But as we know from previous Chinese visits Gideon is in China's pocket. Maybe they came up with this plan together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

jabby posted:

Hahahaha holy :lol:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I just noticed the thread tag, how long has that been a thread tag?
Since September, when the world found out that David Cameron hosed a dead pig.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I like how the article says it came at a bad time. Are the words "economic warfare" taboo in the media? Like having to call mercenaries PMC's?

This is them attempting a coup de grace. This is where a working government would step in and introduce protectionist measures. But as we know from previous Chinese visits Gideon is in China's pocket. Maybe they came up with this plan together.

Maybe Tata got wind of this early and that's why they shut up shop.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jabby posted:

gently caress me. That just makes Osborne's bending over so much more pointless. Go for the jugular Corbyn!

"Osborne blocked EU-led tariffs to stop Chinese dumping of steel - now China taxes OUR steel."

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2016

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Prince John posted:

gently caress me. That just makes Osborne's bending over so much more pointless. Go for the jugular Corbyn!

"Osborne blocked EU-led tariffs to stop Chinese dumping of steel - now China taxes OUR steel."

I think you'll find we're only in this mess due to the previous Labour government.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Here's the real fun for you: it's cheaper to nationalise the Port Talbot plant and run it at a loss than it would be to mothball it or close it entirely.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does that comparison include an estimate of the cost of retraining people to run the place when it's eventually de-mothballed?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not even going to bother linking the story, but my facebook is currently exploding with another constructed outrage about student politics bullshit. Is there a good way to combat this or should I just scream into a pillow at how there's a bunch of literal lawyers complaining that someone's right free speech was violated by people not attending a comedy gig?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literal lawyers or literal law students.

I mean actually lawyers doesn't say much because they'll argue anything for money.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean actually lawyers doesn't say much because they'll argue anything for money.

My mistake, less than a month away from obtaining their degree.

Although one of them also argued that Kesha should remain with her producer because recording contracts ARE THE BASIS OF A FUNCTIONING SOCIETY :bahgawd:

EDIT: Facebook also told me there's a new Oi Polloi album out on May day, so it's not all bad.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 1, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jabby posted:

This is beautiful timing. They must hold Osborne's attempts to cosy up with such contempt.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jedit posted:

Here's the real fun for you: it's cheaper to nationalise the Port Talbot plant and run it at a loss than it would be to mothball it or close it entirely.

Do you happen to have a link with some more detail on this comparison?

The thing that leaps to mind for me is that it depends how long the loss-making period lasts and whether that comparison includes the extra £100m investment required by the Union-backed turnaround.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know that the blast furnace once taken offline is basically hosed, so you would need to spend a fortune to either demolish or rebuild it after you stop fuelling it. Once it cools it's hosed. I imagine some of the rest of the plant works the same way. Mothballing it is inherently destructive and then you have to pay the costs of either reactivating or clearing the site.

If it's anything like the Redcar plant, that's a shitload of demolition or rebuilding to do.

£100m is probably well less than the cost of demolishing the site or reactivating it after having been shut down for a while.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Prince John posted:

Do you happen to have a link with some more detail on this comparison?

The thing that leaps to mind for me is that it depends how long the loss-making period lasts and whether that comparison includes the extra £100m investment required by the Union-backed turnaround.

Port talbot also has a 2 bil unfunded pension liability

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Praseodymi posted:

I'm not even going to bother linking the story, but my facebook is currently exploding with another constructed outrage about student politics bullshit. Is there a good way to combat this or should I just scream into a pillow at how there's a bunch of literal lawyers complaining that someone's right free speech was violated by people not attending a comedy gig?

The thing is that the comedian in question is just not that funny. :shrug:

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Who's the comedian? What's the issue? Or is this all in code for a reason?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Osborne effectively being told to get hosed by a state that he seems to have dedicated himself to fellating at any opportunity is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Glokta posted:

Who's the comedian? What's the issue? Or is this all in code for a reason?

who fuckin cares its student politics

• Locked thread