Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think you'll find we're only in this mess due to the previous Labour government.

If it takes more than this weekend for that soundbite to come up I'll be legitimately surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

Hopefully you are either a) in good health or b) rich if you want to live much longer than that.

If anyone hasn't contacted their MP about the contract debacle it would be much appreciated. Every little helps.

If anyone hasn't contacted their MP about this, do it, do it now.

Feel free to scalp the text from my blog, which, the first line excepted, it a Junior Doctor Approved™ rant about how lovely the contract is.

https://evidencebasedactivism.wordpress.com/2016/01/04/junior-doctors-strike/

(Also feel free to read the rest of the blog if you are so inclined, I've been meaning to post about it for a while)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
starting to regret that i declined private healthcare from work on ethical grounds.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Oberleutnant posted:

on ethical grounds.

Yeah, that fairtrade coffee can gently caress a man up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Praseodymi posted:

Is there a good way to combat this

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Malcolm XML posted:

Port talbot also has a 2 bil unfunded pension liability

So many big companies have ridiculous pension deficits. My parents generation had university grants, social housing, and ridiculous pension promises. The next generation are being forced to mortgage their lives to get a degree and work for companies that are pouring money into the pensions of people who voted for the government that's loving them over because all the good social stuff their parents/grandparents got are now "unaffordable luxuries".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Thanks Ants posted:

Osborne effectively being told to get hosed by a state that he seems to have dedicated himself to fellating at any opportunity is great.

It's not even personal, it's part of a global strategy to kill all non-Chinese steel first.

Literally nothing the Tories have tried to do internationally has worked and everything they've done domestically has been awful.

There's not even a Falklands moment to cause a legacy, they're going to be the worst government we've had, possibly ever.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

So many big companies have ridiculous pension deficits. My parents generation had university grants, social housing, and ridiculous pension promises. The next generation are being forced to mortgage their lives to get a degree and work for companies that are pouring money into the pensions of people who voted for the government that's loving them over because all the good social stuff their parents/grandparents got are now "unaffordable luxuries".
To be fair, the old final salary schemes were never affordable; people just deluded themselves for a few decades until reality asserted itself.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

I think you'll find we're only in this mess due to the previous Labour government.
And they were only in THAT mess because of Thatcher's government. You could literally play Six Degrees of Margaret Thatcher to any problem of British industry and government, and it would be correct.

So what's the state of the Tory government concerning Iain (and) Duncan Smith's dramatic resignation? I only heard Cameron making GBS threads himself for two days before the papers moved onto other stories. Osborne getting screwed and rejected is hilarious to me though, it's really sad he's asking for £4.4 billion from all these "gently caress the poor" cuts when he already spent £4.8 billion giving buddies in his rich little fauntleroys' club all the best tax breaks they could possibly get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We have never had a resignation, IDS was never a minister. Also we have always been at war with eastasia.

It's depressing how long the government has avoided criticism by just ignoring it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

There's not even a Falklands moment to cause a legacy, they're going to be the worst government we've had, possibly ever.
I think ever is a bit much. There were the ones that said 'hey, let's see if the market will work things out' when potato blight hit Ireland and the ones that were 90% made up of hereditary aristocrats who literally owned slaves rather than just technically and there was whole mess with the Rump Parliament.

Top 10 maybe.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

To be fair, the old final salary schemes were never affordable; people just deluded themselves for a few decades until reality asserted itself.

Yep and we can't can't downgrade those pensions because reasons we just have to gently caress over everyone else instead.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Guavanaut posted:

I think ever is a bit much. There were the ones that said 'hey, let's see if the market will work things out' when potato blight hit Ireland and the ones that were 90% made up of hereditary aristocrats who literally owned slaves rather than just technically and there was whole mess with the Rump Parliament.

Top 10 maybe.

Not sure if the Famine was completely down to free market ideologues. I'm sure some of those responsible saw it as a way to implement genocide of poor, Irish Catholics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh I'm sure they would have implemented different tactics if it was happening to people they cared about, but the paperwork of the time definitely promoted a laissez-faire economic approach as the best resolution to the crisis with some unfortunate human cost can't make an egg without eating a few omelettes &c. &c.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Not sure if the Famine was completely down to free market ideologues. I'm sure some of those responsible saw it as a way to implement genocide of poor, Irish Catholics.

I'm sure JFairfax is furiously typing away at some sort of response to try and justify such a thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Marenghi posted:

Ober will probably find some letter about hoarding potatoes to make booze with the way its going

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, Ireland, reknowned for its fine Vodka.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

Ober will probably find some letter about hoarding potatoes to make booze with the way its going
I've never seen anything like that, but I know one member of the nobility recommend (in 1845, first year of the famine in Ireland) that the starving poor mix curry powder with water, which will warm them up and allow them to sleep happily on an empty stomach.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Oberleutnant posted:

I've never seen anything like that, but I know one member of the nobility recommend (in 1845, first year of the famine in Ireland) that the starving poor mix curry powder with water, which will warm them up and allow them to sleep happily on an empty stomach.

:negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ireland wasn't caused by any particular ideology, but it was certainly exacerbated by it.

Just had some drunk teens outside TJs try and start with me, but I've never seen someone go from thinking he's hard to being at a complete loss so fast as when this kid threw several insults at me, and was met with my calm gaze, total agreement, and then me leaning forward and asking "What are you going to do about any of that?" After a few minutes when my food was ready he was making to follow me home but I blanked him and then heard his mate pleading with him not to.

So anyway I hate chavs now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

We have never had a resignation, IDS was never a minister. Also we have always been at war with eastasia.

It's depressing how long the government has avoided criticism by just ignoring it.

I think part of it is that nobody wants to give IDS the compliment of assuming he resigned out of moral principle, and nobody's 100% sure why he did actually resign, so he's a difficult weapon to use against the government.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Librarians of the world, unite!

quote:

Campaigners who have been occupying a library for more than 24 hours say security outside has been tightened.
They have been refusing to leave Carnegie Library in Loughborough Junction, south London, since Thursday evening in protest at its closure.
Police stationed outside the library are allowing people to leave but not to return, protester Laura Swaffield said.
She said the occupation was "turning into a siege". About 80 people are thought to be inside the library.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Prince John posted:

Librarians of the world, unite!

I know the answer is "Because escalation and violence is the response to everything" but seriously, what was the person who escalated this thinking? It's a bloody library, there's kids there. There's no way you get good optics out of a police presence of any scale above 'two bobbies who join the librarians for tea and biccies'.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

Cheer up: I doubt very much they're going to last another year. And I expect Cameron'll be gone even sooner, within weeks of the referendum result, whichever way it goes.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I know the answer is "Because escalation and violence is the response to everything" but seriously, what was the person who escalated this thinking? It's a bloody library, there's kids there. There's no way you get good optics out of a police presence of any scale above 'two bobbies who join the librarians for tea and biccies'.

DOING SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING. TOUGH DECISIONS ETC.

It's strange how the government seems to try the same poo poo solutions to every problem. There was an Adam Curtis (?) documentary which drew parallels between our handling of the global financial crisis and Afghanistan, ie. rather than attempt to solve the systemic corruption that led to the problem, try to prop it up and hope it fixes itself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Ireland wasn't caused by any particular ideology, but it was certainly exacerbated by it.

Just had some drunk teens outside TJs try and start with me, but I've never seen someone go from thinking he's hard to being at a complete loss so fast as when this kid threw several insults at me, and was met with my calm gaze, total agreement, and then me leaning forward and asking "What are you going to do about any of that?" After a few minutes when my food was ready he was making to follow me home but I blanked him and then heard his mate pleading with him not to.

So anyway I hate chavs now.

Source your quotes

edit: has anyone seen the retraction in the sun about that headline they had all the complaints about?

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Ah yes, Ireland, reknowned for its fine Vodka.
You can make poitin out of potatoes and I will attempt to fight anyone who says otherwise before falling over my own feet and slumping haphazardly down the wall.

Mister Adequate posted:

Friday night High Street :toot: (or was it one of the smaller ones?)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Praseodymi posted:

DOING SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING. TOUGH DECISIONS ETC.

It's strange how the government seems to try the same poo poo solutions to every problem. There was an Adam Curtis (?) documentary which drew parallels between our handling of the global financial crisis and Afghanistan, ie. rather than attempt to solve the systemic corruption that led to the problem, try to prop it up and hope it fixes itself.

This is a government that will cure your broken ankle by amputating it and then prescribing homeopathic pills to fight the resulting infection.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This is a government that will cure your broken ankle by amputating it and then selling it back to you.
Fixed for privatisation.txt.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

If you want to look at the Famine in any meaningful way you have to look at the plantations of Ireland and the Penal Laws. To look at the response entirely as a political system is missing most of the reason why it hit so hard.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Friday night High Street :toot: (or was it one of the smaller ones?)

Nah smaller one out on Uppingham Road. Disgraceful how parents today let their kids just run around outside, whatever happened to good old fashioned telly or video games?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once had a kid tell me his dad was bob marley and that he was assasinated by the government.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I once had a kid tell me his dad was bob marley and that he was assasinated by the government.

Stay safe ghost rasta kid

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait sorry I should be clear, that bob marley was assasinated by the government, not the kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Cheer up: I doubt very much they're going to last another year.

How do you think this is going to happen, when it would require Tory MPs to vote to repeal the fixed terms act in the sure knowledge that it will oust their own party?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

Uppingham Road

:mmmhmm:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

How do you think this is going to happen, when it would require Tory MPs to vote to repeal the fixed terms act in the sure knowledge that it will oust their own party?

Presumably he thinks there will be a large enough rebellion for a no confidence vote or for a supply bill to fail.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Oberleutnant posted:

starting to regret that i declined private healthcare from work on ethical grounds.
This is something I've had to wrestle with when i got offered private medical through work. I've turned it down for the last two years but Ithink I'll take it this year, on the grounds that it's a private company's money paying for it and it reduces the load on the NHS. I understand your ethical argument (same reason I've turned it down so far) and the idea of erosion of the userbase, but as long as "I don't personally need to rely on the NHS" doesn't become "we don't need to pay for an NHS" then I think it's a case of me being personally very fortunate rather than being a massive hypocrite.

It's a tricky one and we know what the optimal solution to this dilemma would be, but of the options that are on the table I think it's a personally acceptable stance. I think under the current level of cuts, the short-term relief of one less patient might outweigh the long-term damage of eroding the fabric of universal healthcare.

I talked this rationale through with someone in real life once and they claimed that the same logic could be used to justify sending your kids to private school, which is bollocks for a million social and cultural reasons.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think I get medical insurance at the end of my probationary period and though private healthcare is anathema to me (both my parents work for the nhs) the reducing strain on the nhs argument does seem to carry weight esp seeing as the local hospital trust is in super deep financial poo poo even by 2016 nhs standards

There's another part of me that thinks that's just trying to rationalise taking advantage of a p ridiculous perk though. My primary plan is still to never ever get ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I use the doctor more than anyone in my family for anything I think I might need a doctor for and its taken some effort to get my parents to realise that the NHS is free and they should really take advantage if they think its anything that isn't a cold or some other common virus

I'm going to miss it

• Locked thread