Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phoon posted:

imagine being the lawyer getting the equality assessment and trying to figure out how to write that section

I think that's standard language - 'there may be a tiny negative impact on a protected group, but it's not significant enough to need amendment, and will be amply countered by the rising tide lifting all boats'. The two real problems are the grotesque overselling of that 'rising tide', and that awful little bit about single mothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It can apply if you've got two groups in relatively similar circumstances (i.e., men and women at the same stage in the same job), though. It's obviously far less sensible for applying to society as a whole.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

We have never had a resignation, IDS was never a minister. Also we have always been at war with eastasia.

It's depressing how long the government has avoided criticism by just ignoring it.

I think part of it is that nobody wants to give IDS the compliment of assuming he resigned out of moral principle, and nobody's 100% sure why he did actually resign, so he's a difficult weapon to use against the government.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Green Wing posted:

I'm so confused. Is there a list of filtered words now? Is the filtered word oval office?

Edit: I guess not

Try quoting people's posts to see what the word-filter's concealing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

GQ Magazine is everybodies toilet paper.

Naaah. Too glossy. Not enough friction.

Firos posted:

Someone on the BBC news this morning described Osbourne's budget as "[being] creepily obsessed with punishing disabled people" :drat:

Any guesses on where I might find that clip?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Scotland now confirmed to be the only country in the world where a majority of political party leaders are gay.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's by Adam Curtis, though, so I'd prefer if someone with a decent working knowledge of the subject matter went through it with a fine-toothed comb.

Guy's the Dan Brown of journalism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dispatch_async posted:

"cyber specials"

'What about straight pride parades?' :smug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If Jeremy Corbyn was the Commander would he allow Our XCOM to shoot to kill to stop a terror mission?

X-COM gets real uncomfortable real fast when you start viewing it as an abstracted War on Terror simulator.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Firos posted:

X-COM, or XCOM 2?

Enemy Unknown. Possibly Enemy Within, too, but I haven't got around to playing that one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Mate when you take the superdelegates out of the mix Sanders is really not far behind Clinton and has many northern states he's likely to do well in ahead of him. Clinton's strongholds in the south have all voted already. And if he gains more pledged delegates it's highly unlikely that the superdelegates would block that decision - there'd be open rebellion in the party. I honestly think he can pull this off, though I accept that it's going to be a tough slog.

Clinton is a significant way ahead of Sanders by Democrat primary standards - 250 delegates is an extremely tough gap to close when all the state votes are proportional. Sanders doesn't just have to win, he has to win by insane numbers - I think someone calculated it'd be about 70% in each state from now on - to move past Clinton and lure away her superdelegates. Sorry, man, it's looking like a clear run for President Clinton.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

You'll all have egg on your face when I am proved right! I was right about Corbyn and I'm going to be right about this goddamit!

e: seriously though, if the superdelegates remain stubborn it'll be interesting to see the insane fallout should he claw it back and get to the convention with the most pledged delegates. If Trump gets the most republican delegates but gets blocked thanks to politicking around a contested vote too I'll be stockpiling the popcorn.

The superdelegates don't need to make a decision. The odds on Sanders even edging ahead of Clinton are extremely low for the reasons I mentioned above, and so long as has has, say, 2250 state delegates to her 2251, they're under no obligation to switch sides.

This isn't like Corbyn. We know what's happening here, and it's not looking good for Sanders.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol

Another article that provides some interesting context.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How's Gove been doing in Justice, lately? I'd heard that he hasn't been as outrageously awful as Grayling, but I could have missed some stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

student politics is a form of liberalism

Not necessarily. :china:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megaspel posted:

I didn't think voters would be stupid enough to vote for the Tory party again but here we are.

Well, less than a third of the electorate did, sooo... :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

On this, the day of our Thatcher's death day, The Penguin has come out backing Jeremy Corbyn.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/movie-star-danny-devito-backs-7712889

"OOPS, I JUST DROPPED MY MARXIST CONDOM FOR MY MAOIST DONG!"

Hey, let's be fair here, Blair was a big sketchy guy.

It doesn't often come across in photos, but the guy's loving huge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Samantha Cameron uses a £53,000-a-year fashion adviser paid for by the public purse.

We're all in this together!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

any competent tax accountant will be up to date on tax planning schemes. find a better one.

e: and most things that would be avoidance are covered by the GAAR anyway which your tax accountant and lawyers should keep your briefed on to avoid HMRC's attention

What's the price-tag on those, and how rich do you have to be that paying your own accountant and lawyers to help you minimise your taxes is better value than simply paying those taxes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

So do you think a straight couple who cheat around are good parents then?

It's not exactly cheating around if both of you invite a third person to have some fun with you, is it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zephro posted:

Well, gay rights are cool and good and if a section of the population is strongly opposed to them that is uncool and bad.

Also sharia law is a terrible idea and I'm amazed support even reached 23%

Depends which bits. I mean, there's a surprising number of folks who like sharia finance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It might just be the lighting, but Gideon's looking really pale.

I hope he's ok. :ohdear:

He's just coming down.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I give him a bit more of a pass than I otherwise might here because while this is an awful thing for a public figure to say, he's dropped some pretty broad hints that he was abused himself as a kid and is repressing it like whoa. So this is coming from a place of significant psychological ill-health, rather than plain old callousness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Is Corbyn the only one to release an actual tax return so far?

The Beeb has done a rundown of who's published what. Corbyn, Sturgeon, McDonnell, and - surprisingly - Umunna have all published their complete tax forms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, why's the job of Whittingdale's girlfriend such a big deal again? Was she engaged in the less legal elements of prostitution?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can see how there's a bit of a dilemma here, because on the one hand, protester identification can lead to serious unpleasantness headed that person's way (both from the authorities and from folks opposed to that protest's goals), so you'll want to take safeguards to ensure that isn't too much of a problem, but on the other hand... aren't protests generally about visibility? You know, showing that a whole bunch of people care a great deal about something? I sort of wonder whether clamping down too hard on media coverage of protests might be defeating their whole point, especially given how often people grumble ITT about protests not getting enough coverage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

It's pretty simple - media coverage of a protest isn't the same as jamming a camera in the face of an activist who could be put in real risk of harassment or assault if their identity were made public.
You can have one without the other.

That's fair, it's just that the article on smashing cameras seemed to be pushing a somewhat more extreme perspective that made me wonder a little what they considered protests to be for - they seemed to consider favourable visibility to be nice, but highly optional and risky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hang those who bum the poppy

And, of course, it's worth mentioning in the sales pitch that unlike Dacre, Comrade Corbyn would never deny any good proletarian the opiate of the asses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

for all the absolutely correct "this is a massive issue because it demonstrates that the press refused to run with it, as they would utterly blissfully do with an MP not on their team/under their thumb like Danziuk or that Lord with the cocaine last year" I find shaming the poor bastard for his sex life kind of weird.

Two consenting adults, both single, no laws broken none of my bloody business. The issue is corruption, not that the general public thinks certain perfectly legal sexual activities are gross, or immoral.

The issue is that Whittingdale's part of the 'faith, flag, and family' Cornerstone Group, who are trying very hard to outlaw his girlfriend's job (which several people have implied he was more aware of for longer than he's letting on). It's not that what he did was bad, so much as that he belongs to a faction that's seriously against it. Kind of like a virulently anti-gay politician being discovered to have a very active Grindr profile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Shame for Mr. Hunt that you can't stockpile good health like you can coal then.

You don't think he can leverage that into backlash against the doctors, then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

John Whittingdale is a very naughty boy (Daily Mail warning): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...als-affair.html

Guess Dacre decided he's no longer a useful asset.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Lucrative.

Nah, the UK's income distribution isn't that generous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Did he discover their marital status half way through writing his two sentence post?

I can believe it.

Forethought and planning isn't exactly a Maoist thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fans posted:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/labours-mcdonalds-ban-virtue-signalling-worst-kind

Blarite Labour MP there, outright saying he'd rather money to principles. It's good to see everyone in Labour adopting this honest approach to politics Corbyn's started.

'Virtue signalling'. Jesus.

Guess we know what kind of websites he frequents, then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

How I vote is between me and the ballot box.

... no, you're supposed to put it in the ballot box.

Do keep up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

What the hell is the Council of Europe, is that like the Republican HQ in Montgomery Burns' mansion?

Pretty much the opposite. It's the organisation responsible for European human rights law that terrible people like Michael Gove want us out of.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

What are you weirdos putting milk in tea for? Milk is stolen from exploited worker cows you monsters.

The presence or absence of exploited workers really ain't a great hill to die on where tea is concerned, man.

Even taking into account their rock-bottom cost of living, the wages that tea-pickers get are scary low.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah you're right don't want to go all knee jerky and get in the way of you pointing out how bad working class people can be. Good job punching up.

Well, he did say he is one. So if that's true, he'd be punching... sideways? Punching himself?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puntification posted:

Do police commissioners have any real power? I'm inclined to agree with flap's that it's a big pile of poo poo, but this country has the same attitude about the EU elections and we keep getting an over-abundance of kippers and BNP fuckheads as a result.

They control the funding of their police force (from the budget assigned by Westminster), set out that police force's objectives and how they'll be measured, and are responsible for the employment, suspension, and/or dismissal of its chief constable. Basically, they're the elected rulers of England and Wales's forty-three police forces. Kind of a big deal.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

iirc Labour don't run in PCC elections because they can't be hosed to do the funding

nobody else runs because it always goes to a rich tory wanker that can buy a few thou votes for a safe seat. Their power over the budget goes to some extent, the local PCC created wholesale a youth PCC job, funded it, and then managed to have two appointees fired in a month for racism then obvious corruption. Judging the competency levels (watch the fun documentary Meet The Commissioner) it's essentially run as a totally unnecessary beaurocracy where an elected idiot flaps about asking police to tell them what to fund.

There were thirteen Labour PCCs elected in 2012 (out of forty-one), so that ain't right. Here's the platform of this year's Avon and Somerset runner.

• Locked thread