Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TACD posted:

The Guardian view on Mr Corbyn’s newfound enthusiasm for Europe: a mark of more mature leadership
It's in the Guardian, but it sounds... not bad for Corbyn?? Almost un-bad, or anti-bad... hm, I'm sure there's a word for this.

To be honest, I've noticed recently that the press coverage of Corbyn seems to have got better. I mean, the Mail and the like will keep up their assault regardless but they'd do the same for most labour leaders. But at least on places like the Guardian and BBC, corbyn as leader of the opposition seems to have basically become the status quo. I definitely see his responses to various things given more space and not always joined with some comment along the lines of 'what a loony leftie!!!'. It's hardly great but definitely improved.

II think it's partly because the budget, brewing tory civil war and panama papers have given him so much ammo to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hoops posted:

So I read about the Palace of Westminster falling apart again this morning, with the suggestion that they could move parliament to Bristol for five to six years. It's not the first time I've ever heard the idea or anything, but I absolutely love it and think it could have seriously profound and wide reaching implications on how the country is run.

Parliament moving to Bristol would be pretty interesting since we're such a lefty city.

My company is holding a hustings for all the Bristol mayoral candidates and the Labour, Lib Dem and Green candidates are coming plus the Bristol First incumbent (it's less white supremacist than it sounds) but the Conservative candidate hasn't RSVPed as he knows he doesn't stand a chance.

So having the conservative government come here would be a laugh if nothing else. There'd be a lot more heckling.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What will happen in that case - if the numbers fall in that way - is that the UK would have voted to leave the EU.

There is no constitutional link between the UK's EU membership and the various acts of Union that bind the constituent parts of this country together.

Yeah, the whole nation would leave but it would give the various independence movements of the other countries in the union a lot of legitimacy. Obviously for scotland but ireland and even wales will start to get more of a push towards independence if it's clear that a majority of their nations wanted to stay in the EU but England dragged them out of it.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Ummmmm :catstare:

(and If you think Northern Ireland, you know, the small chunk of that island that isn't already an independent EU state, is more viable as its own nation state than Wales, I have a bridge to sell you)

I meant northern Ireland since I was talking about nations within the uk. Sorry, should have been more specific. Although I probably should have just not mentioned it since the situation regarding independence is obviously a lot more complicated there than in Scotland or Wales.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

If pissflaps did not exist, it would be necessary for the thread to invent him.

• Locked thread