Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i keep having nightmares that my dick shrivels up after a house lands on it like the wicked witch of the East's feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
those drat grey aliens (ayy lmao style) from watching too many discovery documentaries late at night as a child

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I'm super worried about getting greasy. Touching food with my hands etc or even eating popcorn/chips. Theres a super long list that sets this off but I end up over washing my hands for too long etc. Super anxious etc

Its real problematic and been a problem for several years I have tried to deal with with varying degrees of success.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The soul-erasing weapon from Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy makes me very uneasy because, based on what little we know about the hypothetical nature of souls, it sounds feasible.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im scared of the sound effect that every game and movie uses for children where it sounds like they are laughing while inhaling

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I'm scared of waking up one day and realizing that I have spent the better part of my life chasing after a fabricated, artificial goal that I will never reach, and that because I sunk so much time and effort into that futile pursuit, the rest of my life will be soul-crushingly depressing, meaningless, and constantly filled with thoughts of "what if...?"

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
I am deathly afraid of soggy/wet bread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

I'm scared of waking up one day and realizing that I have spent the better part of my life chasing after a fabricated, artificial goal that I will never reach, and that because I sunk so much time and effort into that futile pursuit, the rest of my life will be soul-crushingly depressing, meaningless, and constantly filled with thoughts of "what if...?"

life has no intrinsic meaning. there is no goal that you could have that would not be objectively futile. good thing we are weird rear end meat machines that derive value from imaginary concepts, huh?

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

life has no intrinsic meaning. there is no goal that you could have that would not be objectively futile. good thing we are weird rear end meat machines that derive value from imaginary concepts, huh?

My meat's a machine IYKWIM ;)

I'm afraid of Japanese people jamming their fingers in my rear end and I don't leave the house because of my debilitating fear

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

the rest of my life will be soul-crushingly depressing, meaningless, and constantly filled with thoughts of "what if...?"

this will probably happen anyway

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The propeller underwater freaks me out.
It's not machinery in the water, necessarily. I dunno what it is.
Even if there was a gross fish or a shark in there it wouldn't really add to my 'scared' level. I just find it disturbing on some level.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

The propeller underwater freaks me out.
It's not machinery in the water, necessarily. I dunno what it is.
Even if there was a gross fish or a shark in there it wouldn't really add to my 'scared' level. I just find it disturbing on some level.

Probably because if it started moving with you nearby you wouldn't be able to get away from it fast enough to avoid being injured.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I have a deep, unsettling fear of any sort of open body of water. I'm alright at the beach right up to the point where I can no longer see my extremities which happens to be about 3 feet into the water. I can't do boats because there are no movies about boats in the ocean that end well (Perfect Storm, Titanic, Master & Commander, Poseidon, etc etc etc), and I know that the day I decide to get on a boat is the day that I die from the infinite crushing darkness that whatever body of water. My fear of this expands farther than just real bodies of water, I actually can't even play video games about being in the ocean. For instance, I've completed the Assassin's Creed 4 game with the exception of the diving missions. I'm so loving petrified of open water that I can't swim a video game character through it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mr_cramalldees posted:

I have a deep, unsettling fear of any sort of open body of water. I'm alright at the beach right up to the point where I can no longer see my extremities which happens to be about 3 feet into the water. I can't do boats because there are no movies about boats in the ocean that end well (Perfect Storm, Titanic, Master & Commander, Poseidon, etc etc etc), and I know that the day I decide to get on a boat is the day that I die from the infinite crushing darkness that whatever body of water. My fear of this expands farther than just real bodies of water, I actually can't even play video games about being in the ocean. For instance, I've completed the Assassin's Creed 4 game with the exception of the diving missions. I'm so loving petrified of open water that I can't swim a video game character through it.

sonic drowning music.midi

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Applewhite posted:

sonic drowning music.midi

The anxiety brought on by that music building up equates to the terror I feel in large bodies of water.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im super afraid of bugs but kind of like specific bugs that arent super common. like i can deal with flies because theyre around a lot but mosquitoes up close are lovely. beetles, cockroaches, even butterflies and ladybugs (those are not as bad as others). im also not as scared by spiders though for some reason. close up and big bugs are terrifying not like even in the gross sense but in this deep seeded dread that just stops me from doing anything. idk its really weird to explain.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Once a bug gets past a certain size I'm actually less scared of it because it seems more like a toy than a living thing that can crawl in my mouth or eyes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Once a bug gets past a certain size I'm actually less scared of it because it seems more like a toy than a living thing that can crawl in my mouth or eyes.

Yah, you're right.
This thing would never burrow into you...

and lay it's eggs in you that would turn into this...

Before bursting forth from inside you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Yah, you're right.

Does that kind of bug do that?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Does that kind of bug do that?

As far as you know.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

As far as you know.

It doesn't seem like the kind of event that would catch me by surprise, though. If that thing starts to burrow into me I'm gonna notice before it gets too far.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Applewhite posted:

It doesn't seem like the kind of event that would catch me by surprise, though. If that thing starts to burrow into me I'm gonna notice before it gets too far.

it's a question of burrowing velocity, really. we could settle this question with great rapidity via experiment

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MiracleWhale posted:

it's a question of burrowing velocity, really. we could settle this question with great rapidity via experiment

TBH the mature beetle seems ill suited to burrowing altogether.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spiders, op

also I had an ex that claimed to have that phobia where you're scared of pictures of bunches of holes

aka "the phobia that didn't exist until people started taking pictures of bunches of holes to scare people that have that phobia"

also my fiancee has a needle phobia; as of late she's managed to sack up enough to get shots if they're absolutely necessary but her ears are not pierced which makes buying her presents a little harder

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

TBH the mature beetle seems ill suited to burrowing altogether.

TEEF!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh oh I've got another one

I'm really creeped out by the idea of whales, or any huge animal lurking right below the surface of a large body of water

this doesn't really come up much in my day-to-day life, but imagining it has always creeped me out and there's a place in Witcher 3 where a whale breaches while you're in a tiny boat and I was like "nope nope nope nope"

the giant robot shark in Banjo-Kazooie was ok because he was basically an area instead of an animal, but talking to him was weird and the eel from Mario 64 scared the crap out of me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

but seriously spiders

I was one of those guys that modded Skyrim to get rid of all the giant spiderwebs and turn all the giant spiders into bears

mostly because 95% of my nightmares since age 4 or thereabouts have gone like "doot doot doo normal dream I'm just gonna walk over here ~~~ oh wait there's a big spiderweb blocking me, guess I'll just go this way instead ~~~ oh whoops would you look at that aNOTHER giant spiderweb, what are the odds" and then it's just spider hell until I wake up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

but seriously spiders

I was one of those guys that modded Skyrim to get rid of all the giant spiderwebs and turn all the giant spiders into bears

mostly because 95% of my nightmares since age 4 or thereabouts have gone like "doot doot doo normal dream I'm just gonna walk over here ~~~ oh wait there's a big spiderweb blocking me, guess I'll just go this way instead ~~~ oh whoops would you look at that aNOTHER giant spiderweb, what are the odds" and then it's just spider hell until I wake up

There's this great game you would love called "Limbo" you should check it out ;)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

There's this great game you would love called "Limbo" you should check it out ;)

I played that! It's weird, giant spiders (as in, bigger than me) don't set off my spider phobia because they can't crawl all over me and infest my hair or whatever. They just parse as big monsters. The Skyrim ones were about at the maximum size to set it off, and even they were borderline. The mod was a "better safe than sorry" type deal.

I mean the webs are still creepy ofc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I played that! It's weird, giant spiders (as in, bigger than me) don't set off my spider phobia because they can't crawl all over me and infest my hair or whatever. They just parse as big monsters.

I mean the webs are still creepy ofc

Why'd you mod all the giant spiders out of Skyrim then?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Why'd you mod all the giant spiders out of Skyrim then?

^^^ninja edit'd

seriously though am I the only one that's creeped out by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zyAVm0Dmls

I'm all "oh god why are you diving no don't go closer to it" and then he loses sight of it and I'm all "where is it it's still here somewhere :tinfoil:"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh also I thought it was funny that if you use the spider2bear mod, you go into a cave and a bear sees you and it rears up onto its hind legs, hisses, and hocks a giant loogie at you

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

loquacius posted:

oh oh I've got another one

I'm really creeped out by the idea of whales, or any huge animal lurking right below the surface of a large body of water

this doesn't really come up much in my day-to-day life, but imagining it has always creeped me out and there's a place in Witcher 3 where a whale breaches while you're in a tiny boat and I was like "nope nope nope nope"

the giant robot shark in Banjo-Kazooie was ok because he was basically an area instead of an animal, but talking to him was weird and the eel from Mario 64 scared the crap out of me

All of these things are what nightmares are made of.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i'm deeply afraid of bodies of water, largely because i almost drowned twice before i was eight, and each time i was punished for it immediately after. a very confusing psychological combo for a kid.

i'm also afraid of animal corpses and people whose faces are obscured

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Another phobia I have I can't explain. Machinery under water. My family was on a vacation and we went to see the Queen Mary. There was a room where you could walk along a gangway and peep the lit up propeller. For some reason the lizard part of my brain told me "gently caress no, get out of here!". I can't explain it, but it terrified me. Anyone else have that one?

My terror:

I 100% have this and can't really be in water when there's a large boat also in the water nearby. Car sized ones don't bother me so I'm not sure where the size threshold is. I will never, ever be able to scuba dive at a shipwreck and even being next to a ship in drydock freaks me the gently caress out. Ditto with large underwater pipes/vents or any other kind of machinery really. Basically anything really big and submerged/floating is a recipe for terror. I can be on a ship no problem, I'd just be hosed if I fell off because I'd start swimming in the opposite direction ASAP.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Yah, you're right.

I want that beetle, send me it please.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Slavvy posted:

I 100% have this and can't really be in water when there's a large boat also in the water nearby. Car sized ones don't bother me so I'm not sure where the size threshold is. I will never, ever be able to scuba dive at a shipwreck and even being next to a ship in drydock freaks me the gently caress out. Ditto with large underwater pipes/vents or any other kind of machinery really. Basically anything really big and submerged/floating is a recipe for terror. I can be on a ship no problem, I'd just be hosed if I fell off because I'd start swimming in the opposite direction ASAP.

you all died in the titanic on a past life, next question

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

AEMINAL posted:

crane flies, those fluttery disgusting long legged fuckers that flap against your walls and then disappear when you try to kill them

ugh gently caress its summer soon they're gonna be everywhere

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Spiders and centipedes and gross bugs don't bother me but gently caress crane flies what the gently caress is wrong with those things
I fuckin hate em

I've met a few people with this thing. Really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRZ2w_2cn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9z4SGd2t5w

But you really shouldn't be afraid of them, they don't drink blood, or even eat when they're adults, and they don't lay eggs in your ear if you are awake.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

I've met a few people with this thing. Really interesting.

I dunno. seeing them in a video up close like this doesn't freak me out because I can see their faces. I guess they mainly freak me out because in person they give me the impression of an awkward bundle of unnaturally animated sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

also can someon e count the number of people in this thread who got freaked out by video games

• Locked thread