Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

What are some collections you guys have that span several writers and/or decades that your oddly proud of.

I own every Justice League International/America/Europe/Quarterly/miniseries comic from Justice League 1 (1987) to Justice League America 113 (1996), just before the Morrison relaunch, which is about 250–260 issues? I've also got all of the JL Detroit era just prior.

Mentioned before, but I also have every issue of WW Vol 2 except for stupid #184.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's Grant Morrison working on these days?
Is he still editing Heavy Metal?

He's got that Wonder Woman: Earth One stuff going on, too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno if that's a disastrous thing. I just check Comics Should Be Good once in a while, so I hope that survives!
That's literally the only thing I visit on that site.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

And just look at me now!
No don't!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Wickedhate has brain problems that cause her to get in really stupid arguments. It's possible her condition and how it's portrayed in the media gives her a perspective on traditionally maligned states of mind, which contributes to all her arguments about pedophilia.

Being a teenager can't be helping.

I thought she was at least 20 by now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I appreciate it, but he has lymphoma, and while the steroids are helping him feel much better, it's a matter of time at this point. I will admit I was being dramatic that he'll be dying in the next month, but it's entirely possible. He gets lots of pets.

We had a delightful feline who died of lymphoma as well at the end of 2014, at age 12 or so. It was very sad, and you will know when the time is right. You spend as much time as you can with that guy.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 6, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Isn't the entire Priest run collected in 3 ultimate collections now?

With a 4th on the way!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That's because you can't draw Superman with huge tits.
Elseworld's Finest would disagree.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Foul Fowl posted:

I honestly don't mind the premise of The Authority and I thought it was well executed in the first volume (even though it does end up reeking of reactionary paramilitarism a lil' bit). I don't know anything about Millar specifically either, I just know that he took a book that treated its heinous villains as actual characters and turned them into literal baby killers who shout 'COMIC BOOKS ARE FOR RETARDS' at the reader. It's not funny enough to be irreverent black humour, and it's not clever enough to subvert the sense of being something I would've loving loved when I was 14 and a fascist (even if there's a hint of something behind the curtain when Midnighter calls out Baby Killer Man on being a drone without an identity). It's just hard to believe there's any stakes involved when the shark is immediately jumped and then used to murder a baby and it feels like lazy writing. Good villains are hard to write and there's a lot of shortcuts taken. I was way more invested in seeing The Authority beat up the baddies from the first volume.

I mean I'm also like 40 pages in so maybe this was all set up and don't take my word for any of it, I'm not an expert. It was just weird to go from Ellis to Millar.
You might be interested to go back and read Ellis' Stormwatch which sets up his Authority run, and you get more Ellis-penned Jenny, Midnighter, et al.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just double the tax and round up.

unless they're a q-tee

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 11, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I put mayo on my potato chips!
Sidenote: When exactly did it become taboo to put ketchup on hot dogs? Heinz's entire marketing campaign for 20 years was about putting ketchup on hot dogs.

Rhyno, you truly are history's greatest monster, but I slather my hot dogs with ketchup too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

It's regional, it's a big thing in Chicago that you don't put ketchup on a hot dog.

As a Chicago native, balls to that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Everything I know about Toto, true or false, is from the Yacht Rock series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
To add nothing to the conversation, Journey: Greatest Hits was I think the second CD I ever bought, and boy howdy did that thing get a lot of replay.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Any Moxy Früvous fans in the hizzouse?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I liked some of their stuff like "You Will Go to the Moon," but the Ghomeshi saga meant I could never really enjoy them again.

Yeah, I just read up on that on wikipedia. OOPS.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm always skittish about buying items online, so I have a question for comic buyers. Has anyone here bought anything through Comic Collector Live? Has anyone run into problems with Comic Collector Live?

Edit: I know a lot of shop workers/owners here use it for selling.
I have literally spent more and bought more comics through CCL than anywhere else. PM me if you have questions/rec questions on stores.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which comic book editors have historically been rated as the best?

Mark Chiarello
Mark Waid
Julius Schwartz
Mort Weisinger
Dick Giordano
Archie Goodwin
Denny O'Neil

edit: yeah, Karen B.

edit2: Stan Lee's gotta be included.

edit3: Jim Shooter is either going to be near the top of lists or near the bottom, depending.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 25, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

How many Elseworlds have used "Joeseph Kerr" as his alias?

I think just Going Sane, and that was LOTDK.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.
Ennis - Nick Fury
Simonson - Thor
Giffen/DeMatteis - Blue and Gold
Lee - Galactus
BQM - Steph!Batgirl
Ostrander - Deadshot, Waller
Messner-Loebs - Wonder Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!