Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I want to go ahead and wish everyone a Happy New Year! The first new moon since the equinox falls on the 7th of April this year, and that means the new year celebration on the Babylonian and, from the scant records we have dating back to the reign of Shulgi, ancient Sumerian calendars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

WHO ARE YOU

Just an average some thing is awful dot com goon, who appreciates the end of the rainy season and the public performance/recitation of the world's best parenting text, the Enuma elish.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't remember who squizzle is, yall change avatars and I forget who's who.

My rich and varied history of avatars.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

This is a spin-off from the costume thread but... seriously what's the deal with Deathstroke?

He's a pedophile who murders people for money, OP. Some people like him a lot.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I want PBS to release Peg + Cat comics with ukelele tabs as backmatter.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're not allowed to name your kid anything too dumb here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11388092

e: Scratch that. I just read that again and the objection is for titles and symbols. You can specifically be called "Cream Bun" but not Major or Prince.
Never mind.

Chilling. :eek: I'm glad that I live in a free and civilized nation where no one could stop me from bestowing on my firstborn the given name Evil-Chaser First Class Mandora From ThunderCats.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Muhammad is the most common male name in the world, I'm p. sure.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've been reading BSS archives, and gosh golly did early BSS have some issues about Jade.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dang, I didn't realize Alan Scott had such an accomplished brother-in-law.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I know nothing about Jade other than that I said she was the best Green Lantern at some point and then learned I was technically wrong that she wasn't a Lantern. Is there something weird or bad about Jade or was past-BSS just being weird?

I'm p. sure she actually was a Green Lantern during the Winnick run. She lost her powers, I think? Then Kyle got her a power ring somehow? Idk. I also believe there was some never-followed-up hints that her plant powers were increasing somehow.

Anyway, BSS apparently found her promiscuous, such that they disapproved, and expressed such sentiment often.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike I hope your cat is doing well, and is comfy, and enjoys being a snuggly lap cat right now. Also best wishes for uncommon kitty vigor, that your feline friend may surprise you with a long, healthy future. :glomp:

:radcat::respek::radcat:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A lot of British writers seem to adore Superman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

I also hate people who read his comics so...

Rude. <:(>

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shiiiiiiit I missed the tipping argument. I feel strongly about tipping, friends.

I try to tip as well as I can without it becoming ostentatious, even if service is mediocre. Servers aren't paid a living wage, and I can't get past the feeling that I'm denying someone the basic means to support themselves if I don't tip as generously as I can afford. No service is so bad as to be worth refusing someone basic financial subsistence.

When I travel abroad, I keep tipping American-style, because I figure that it's only fair to offer the servers in whatever country the best experience of American culture possible.

OK, that's out of my system. Speaking of Hulk, are there any interesting Hulk/Spider-Man stories? Team-ups, kerfuffles, anything.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Next on the docket: If red kryptonite made Superman incapable of eating sandwiches, could he still eat hotdogs?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

One day Travis343 will be BSS mod and on that day it will :redhammer: like never before.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hold Toto responsible for a D&D poster claiming I have a thin penis.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Dire Straits album Brothers in Arms is extremely good, and the best/only way to listen to the title track is to play the entire album all the way through. This has been my dadrock opinion.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rush is actually a crap band that made bad music.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My favorite Rush work is when I finally got through Gemini Man's stage. :megaman:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What do they got? Lots of tarsand
And a bunch of way mediocre bands

Up in...the C?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Actually realtalk, Neil Young owns and that k. d. lang can belt out a tune like nobody's business, I tell you what.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Pulp vs Oasis was the Batman v Superman battle of the 90s.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Man you guys are old.

This is Aphrodite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYM6qv-za8w

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking of people being Marvel characters—

Squizzle posted:

Let me go right ahead and tell everyone not to engage this point, nor continue this line of discussion, nor even allude to having read that post.

Nothing good can come of this conversation. Nothing.

If you all succeed in not getting into this conversation, I'll do a big update, maybe two, to the long-neglected Battleworld thread idk next week-ish. If you fail, welp, I can't actually do anything about that, but loving please just listen to me this time.

It turns out that I can't draw or skillfully edit drawings in a robust image editor, so things have been slow going, but I have been pounding at this every day.

Also there will be a visual component.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'd like a whole lot more modern hip hop if the artists didn't have such stupid names.

Almost all bands have dumb names, but we've gotten used to them over the years. It's right and good that the young folks subvert expectations by doing that for individual instead of babd identities, and in styles that sound strange to us. Young people carving out cultural identity niches is a :krad: thing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I read something yeeeeeeaaaaaars ago that credited Grandmaster Flash with making hip hop (or at least MCing) as a national thing as opposed to a transient youth culture phenomenon in some cities. It also said that he built his turntables from salvaged components of broken, discarded turntables. Since reading that, I've had this vision of the guy summoning a whole expressive style, that has endured and matured for decades since, with nothing but his own creative force and a tohu va bohu junk heap.

It's way more great man theory of history than I go in for intellectually, but it's such a rad myth that I can't help but love it, and have myth as an unshakable foundation for my old man appreciation of hip hop.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

In reading Hip Hop Family Tree, the most striking thing is how little Grandmaster Flash is actually involved in the music published bearing his name.

I really want to read that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I just accidentally found some Superman/Batman yaoi that is literally drawn as well as if not better than the real comics.

How do you accidentally find that?

Also was it just one image, or like a whole little story? Because if the artist didn't have to worry about layout and narrative flow, you can't compare it fairly. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno in March posted:

There is a line of Marvel themed dildos and I am quite happy to report that we've been asked to order them by more than 20 different people.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Either way, the dildo for Tony Stark, the Invincible Iron Man, should be a sybian with a (no pun intended) slick UI.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you wouldn't annihilate a timeline or two, even very good timelines, for your actual child that you love, then you're a bad parent. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Archyduke posted:

It feels mega disingenuous to broadly designate Eisner a white dude when Judaism and the living of ethnic difference was at the heart of so much of his stuff, and considering that he came up at a period in American history when being Jewish and poor wasn't exactly a free ticket to the White Dude Experience.

I'd say Jewishness more than Judaism, but that's getting dreadfully close to a semantic argument.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Steve Wacker's office usually had a good eye for interesting non-house-style artists, a skill for bringing good work consistently out of talented writers, and a possibly supernatural ability to herd cats in orders to keep better-than-monthly schedules working medium-term.

He masterminded 52 and Brand New Day.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

BND is not exactly an example of good editing, regardless of how you feel about the stories themselves.

The creative logistics of it, I mean, which are very much an editorial responsibility. Wacker's office had to make sure they had enough moving through the pipeline from multiple creative teams working at different paces, to fulfill a pretty punishing release schedule. And they had some subplots and story arcs that unfolded through multiple creative teams, or which tied into spin-offs (American Son, I think, came during this). They had limited ability to push issues/arcs around the schedule to accommodate a slow team, so editorial needed a good sense of how quickly different creators worked, and how much advance time to build in to allow for someone breaking their drawing arm halfway through an issue, or something needed to get sent back for extensive rewriting, or whatever might happen.

All that stuff is absolutely amazing editing work, even if, as you say, other aspects of the editorial work were less impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm sorry, Lurdiak, and want to echo what Endless Mike said. I hope your family can find some happy moments—sharing good stories and each other's company—in the wake of this. :glomp:

• Locked thread