Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Warcabbit posted:

Car enthusiasts can, with effort, be given the middle finger. Poor people driving six in a junker, you will starve and kill if you make their cars illegal - and they'll probably drive them anyhow.

Most likely you'll see automation being required (and more easily adapted) to highly traveled and standardized roadways (freeways/highways) rather than the last mile sort of thing where driving becomes much more unpredictable. Car enthusiasts aren't your enemy here.

By the way, before we get too enamored with fully autonomous driving, remember that these things fail in the rain and are involved in twice as many accidents per mile driven in pristine conditions than the average driver in all conditions. It's going to be decades before this stuff works, let alone hits five nines level of penetration. This tech might become interesting later, but it's more important to focus on stuff that works right now - light rail, BRT and so on.

OP, thanks for the awesome thread. You'll definitely see more stuff about Sound Transit 3 from me as it becomes available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Warcabbit posted:

I _am_ a car enthusiast. My daily drive is a Focus ST. I agree as to what you're saying, I was skipping ahead to endgame, because to get utopian advances that truly treat personal vehicles as mass transit, that's where you have to look - you have to say 'this stuff won't happen till endgame' or 'this stuff won't happen without a massive change in social behavior I don't see happening, and here's why.'

Now, automation required on the freeway/highway is possible, but I'm honestly not sure you can do it in any fashion other than a HOV style special lane, because people will sue for access - and rightly so. Which means you're going to see fights like you currently have for HOV, because there isn't that much space to expand a highway and it costs a lot of money to do so.
I'm not seeing it happen for more than five years before we get nigh-full automation penetration anyhow, which means 'it'll exist some places and then be obsolete cause everyone has it.'

I'm actually really interested in how a 10+ year old autonomous vehicle will behave, especially in inspection-less states.

Anyhow, we're in agreement, excepting possibly freight, autonomous vehicles are a sideshow here for the next few decades.

:hfive: Thanks for the clarification! BRZ driver myself.

• Locked thread