Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

-Troika- posted:

Why the hell do most transit projects have to file environmental impact anythings anyways. 99% of them are going through urban areas where there is no environment to speak of other than grassy medians and some trees.

This is a bit old but I just wanted to point out that the "environment" in an EIS doesn't mean "trees and nature and air" but literally the physical space. Displacing residents would be an environmental impact. Tearing down homes would be an environmental impact. Etc etc. It's a nuch broader sense of environment than we typically think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A bike is a poor replacement for a car. If you try and replace a car with a bike and make literally no other changes in you're life, you're going to have a bad time.

Who cares if I can only stick a couple of bottles of wine in my bag if I walk by the liquor store every day on my way home from work. Same with groceries etc. Live close to stuff, and you'll find it's easy to run your regular errands.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are almost no 24 hour rail networks in the... world. According to this which seems in line with what I've heard, there are only 8 in the world.

I don't think WMATA was ever a system with 24 hour service, they're just complaining that they can't do the maintenance in the 5-7 hours they'd get normally every night so they want more. WMATA is bad at running a subway.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Living in one of those 8 metro areas with 24/7 (though only barely, of Minneapolis/St Paul's two rail lines, one runs hourly overnight) I will say that occasionally the rail system just gets shut down for a weekend and replaced with buses. We've also got enough crossovers that a section of track can be closed and run single tracked. That only works because of our comparatively low frequencies though, 10 minutes normally, and they would have to 15 minute or something to run single track.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No no no, NYC is absolutely exceptional in its 4 track layout. Nobody was short sighted building WMATA as a 2 track system. 2 tracks is standard practice throughout the world.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Minnesota has a regional government (Metropolitan Council) that has taxing authority but isn't elected, just appointed by the governor. So unless there's something in Virginia and Maryland expressly forbidding it, or if it being multiple states changes things, it should be possible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There are a few smaller bus systems around the world that have gone fare free.

I think it can work in theory on a system that is far below capacity where the relative cost of collecting a fare is expensive, and the gains in ridership can be easily accommodated because there's plenty of excess capacity in the system. I think it falls apart where that extra demand would require extra service, and in theory any system with heavy rail should be well enough utilized that it shouldn't have that much excess capacity laying around.

Of course I see the irony in saying that while I have an unlimited ride transit pass so I never think about how much a ride costs, I just take the ride.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ardennes posted:

There are "trust" based fare systems out there like in Portland Oregon or Tallinn but I think in both cases they are still fare inspectors.

This is known as proof of payment FYI. You are required and expected to pay, and fare inspectors will spot check and right citations. Here in Minnesota it's a misdemeanor with a fine of up to $180 for paying without valid proof of payment. In theory you should get inspected enough that it's not worth taking the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Parking Contracts (and really transit passes as well) are a monthly thing. If I have a parking pass then it costs me $200 to park the first time and it's free every other time. Same with my transit pass, my first ride costs me $65, the rest are free.

We don't really have the mindset/systems in place to offer both options to people.

• Locked thread