Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
There is a dude at my (low level, railroad) job who commutes from DC, basically only goes home on weekends. Another guy comes from Philadelphia daily, and several people commute from the Poconos. I think it's crazy, but, whatever.

e: My job is in NYC, since that wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Curvature of Earth posted:

I always wonder about this. Do they stay in an extended-stay motel? Because even cheap motels are way expensive per diem compared to an apartment. That must be one hell of a high-paying job, or an impressively low cost-of-living that far from work to be able to afford it.

(My dad did this for a couple months when he first got his first well-paying, long-term job after retiring from the military, though with a cheap apartment rather than a motel. But we knew it was only temporary, and we soon moved to join him.)

Most of them just work as many 16 hour tours during the week as they can and sleep at their job location on the 8 hour periods when they're not working.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Neon Belly posted:

The DC City Council put out a resolution calling on Metro to restore late-night rail service when the system-wide reconstruction program ends next spring. Metro claims they need the extra time for maintenance.

How do other two track systems handle 24-hour service? Do they just close down lines periodically overnight?

In NYC we do maintenance and repairs on live, in use tracks on a regular basis. While very large, disruptive jobs require removing a section of track from service, rails, signals, stops, and switches can be (and generally are) replaced or overhauled under traffic.

To make this safe, we have flagging rules, and where CBTC trains operate, we diable automatic train operation and require manually driven trains in the area.

Flagging refers to the setting out of colored lights (at night or below ground) or flags (above ground during the day) at set distances from the work area, which tell train operators to reduce their speed, or to stop until given a proceed signal by an employee dedicated solely to flagging for that job.

• Locked thread