Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

On the subject of bikeshares, I still haven't seen a good solution to the fact that there's no infrastructure to provide helmet rentals (which would be gross anyway). Maybe I'm taking the indoctrination of my childhood too seriously, but that seems like an irresponsible thing.

That issue actually kept me from using the bikeshare in Montreal unless I was drunk enough to not care, because I was/am retarded.

Generally, bike share bikes have a much lower rate of death than cyclists in general despite the helmet issue. I think in large part it has to do with speed. Bike share bikes are heavy and geared to cruise at 10mph, not the 20 mph of a road bike.p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

I think the problem is there's too much long-stay parking and too few loading zones for couriers or people who are picking something up. Ultimately, there are businesses that sell certain products which are difficult to carry on foot or on a bicycle or on transit -- liquor stores come to mind -- but they don't need huge parking lots, they just need a loading zone nearby that can hold two or three vehicles. We need more loading zones and 1-Hour spaces at the expense of long-stay spots.

What's awesome is in California and many other states, a disabled parking permit lets you park for free as long as you want, even in a 15min spot.
Due to rampant fraud and abuse, you can't find an open 15 min spot (or 10 hour spot) during busy times.

I do agree generally. I bike to work and do most things by bike, but I do need to drive to pick up dry cleaning. While I have a garment bag on my bike, it can't pick up a week of clothes without wrinkling the hell out of them. A usable loading zone/15 minute zone (they have one that "disabled" people park in front of before walking 4 blocks to thier office) outside of my dry cleaner would make everyone's life easier.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Whenever someone mentions that cars are useful for some things in these threads someone needs to chime in that it's perfectly feasible to move that futon on a bike no probs like the idea that the only other possibility from using cars for everything is no cars.

Indeed.
Particularly when the point is, fine get rid of most of the parking, but make sure there's some loading zones for when you actually need a car/truck. At minimum, I need to be able to park a u-haul for when I get priced out of my neighborhood.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

redscare posted:

Oh, shake-downs. Definitely how we want to fund infrastructure.

True. Taxes just aren't regressive enough.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Didn't realize red light cameras were involved.

Interestingly if you lool at the placement of red light cameras in this town, they are almost all in low income areas. They were once more mixed, but all the rich people complained and got rid of them.

Traffic laws disproportionally hurt the poor. If I make $10,000 per month, $200 is really no big deal. If I make $1,000 a month, that's a pretty huge slice of my income.
Further people in older cars and minorities are much more likely to get pulled over.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Moinkmaster posted:

As an unironic and serious question: What amendments do they end up violating? Like, I am trying to think here, and all the usual suspects don't seem to apply in a wholly public space, with publicly visible plates and windows that you'd have no reasonable expectation of not being seen through.

Generally some state version of the confrontation clause. I don't think they're generally found federally unconstitutional, but state unconstitutional.
It is kind of bullshit because the guy who set up the camera doesn't testify and the entire ticket is based on the assumption the camera only fired after the light went red as they rarely show the light itself.
It places the burden on the defendant to prove it didn't work correctly, which will generally cost more than paying the ticket.
This isn't just idle. In San Deigo some cameras were firing in green and it was only discovered because some rich dude fought it on principle. If you're pior or middle class, you're not hiring expert witnesses to fight a loving traffic ticket.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

donoteat posted:

Most garages are made of pre-cast concrete parts and can be thrown together in a matter of months with a mobile crane -- that's why the initial cost is only 3x as much as surface parking.

They then immediately become a maintenance nightmare since unlike a climate controlled building, all structural members are subject to freeze-thaw cycles. Since vehicles are coming in during the winter after roads are salted, they are also exposed to high levels of salt contamination.

This wrecks the concrete and corrodes the steel extremely quickly. If you park in an old garage and everything looks like it's falling apart, it's because it is. :ssh:

California doesn't care (Until the big one comes)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

for sacramento county, it's interesting that apparently, more people commute there from san joaquin county than from yolo county

More jobs at UC davis than stockton.

Edit: smart rear end comment aside, you need to reset the commute distance to less than 20mi as lots of davis is less than 20mi from downtown sac. Once you do that yolo has more.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

LA voted on extending a previous sales tax by 30 years in 2012... And it failed after getting a mere 65% of the vote in support. Opposition was pretty strong in parts of LA which don't have any plans to get mass transit service, like San Pedro and the South Bay cities.

The funniest thing, unquestionably, about the LACMTA expansion is the massive number of reasons opponents of the Purple Line (heavy rail subway) have come up with to oppose it. Like the idea that ISIS will use it to blow up OUR CHILDREN.

Sacramento had one of those this year. Measure B had like 64.5+% yes voters. hosed.
Anyone wanna go piss on Howard Jarvis's grave with me?

• Locked thread