Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mobby_6kl posted:

The worst thing about DC metro from a tourist's POV are the loving incomprehensible fares and corresponding ticket machines. I even had to try to explaim it to some locals (well, Americans, at least). In think Munich had something similar, except also in German, so there I just gave up and just drove straight to the center. God bless NYC and its one ticket one ride.

If you're a tourist you should just buy a day pass and not worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Maera Sior posted:

I took the metro from Greenbelt (Maryland) to Eisenhower (Virginia) today. $5.90 during peak hours to ride a drat train.
The system is so hosed.

Realistically, they are still far below the market rate for the train fare.

They could still out compete driving as long as the fare is below the cost to park+gas+wear and tear + insurance.

Parking is like 250/month, just at work. We'll ignore the price to park at your apartment. Gas is probably going to vary a lot but a tank a week is probably pretty average so around 80 a month. Insurance is probably 100 dollars and wear and tear is about 30/mth (using a standard IRS rate of $.14 a mile, 10 miles a day, and 20 days a month).

We are also ignoring the opportunity cost of increased commutes via car.

That's like $460 a month to drive. This probably under estimates the cost because we are ignoring costs to park at home. Significantly more than even after the proposed rate hikes.

• Locked thread