Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Curvature of Earth posted:

The irony is you can hit over 10,000 people per square mile with only single-story apartments. Don't believe me?

Behold, dense suburbia!

(Now despite being 1,660 square feet, the actual layout of these houses is loving terrible.

Good Lord, that's awful. I doubt that could comfortably house more than two people. A 40-by-40 foot square, which is still 1600 square feet, would allow for a much better layout and could comfortably house a family of four.)

These houses, despite being single-family detached homes, achieve a density of 12 units per acre. Assuming a family of three resides in each house (achievable/comfortable only assuming my suggested not-poo poo house layout), that's 36 people per acre. There are 640 acres in a square mile, but about 50% of area in any given city is surface transit infrastructure and parks, so only half of that would be actual houses. 12 x 3 x 320 = 11,520 people/sq mi.

Things get even more interesting if we scale up. Merge said single-family detached houses into rowhouses (and pool spaces between them into larger shared courtyards). Three stories is actually a pretty good height; it's the practical limit for a building without elevators, and it's also the sweet spot for cost—anything above four or so stories has sharply higher construction costs, which is something most housing advocates tend to forget.

Boom, you just hit over 34,000 people per square mile. Even if you dedicate a quarter of the housing tract's area to parking, you'd still hit over 28,000 people.

High-rises are for suckers.

Ah, yes, housing designed for baby boomer retirees in the urban paradise that is Dallas, TX is the blueprint for America's future cities.

That said, yes, high-rises are generally awful, but those single-story things are just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Baronjutter posted:

I think any fare system with physical gates is a bad one. Flow and service are so much more important than the pennies lost in fare avoidance. I love the gateless system the dutch use. Tap in at the start of your trip, tap out at the end. Works on just about every bus, metro, tram, and train in the whole country. You can get on a bus in one city, go to the train station, take a train to another city, ride a tram to your destination, all with one easy to use card.

It's not like the BART gates stop fare avoidance anyway. It's trivial to piggyback on someone else and are stuck open half the time.

• Locked thread