Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I took the metro from Greenbelt (Maryland) to Eisenhower (Virginia) today. $5.90 during peak hours to ride a drat train.
The system is so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Realistically, they are still far below the market rate for the train fare.

They could still out compete driving as long as the fare is below the cost to park+gas+wear and tear + insurance.
This is a company that gives $135/month in Metro fare or free parking on-site. If they want to move people to public transit, they need to make it obviously cheaper than driving, and that's means removing parking subsidies.

ETA: I grew up in Boston, which has flat fares. The bus pass is rolled into the commuter passes as well. Paying >$200 for the monthly metro pass, plus another $45 for a bus pass, is mind-boggling.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 1, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

sincx posted:

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I get subsidized parking and $100/month in transit reimbursements. I take the train to work most days, but will drive when I have errands in town or if I need to get to/from work at unusual hours.

It's probably a lot easier to convince people to take transit 3-4 days a week versus not driving entirely. One of the ways to do this is to encourage employers to offer both transit and personal vehicle commute subsidies instead of forcing employees to choose one or the other.

I'd love to know why they don't allow a combination. People who may need to put in occasional 12 hour days could be forced into driving, since public transit can really screw them over. (Commuter rails, I'm looking at you.)

• Locked thread