Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huttan
May 15, 2013

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I would like to think that eventually our commuter rail aspirations will see us laying tracks to places like Greeley, Ft Collins, and Colorado Springs (none of which are much further from Denver than Longmont, the current endpoint of the planned B Line), so perhaps those cities will invest more in their local transit services once they have connections to a broader, statewide RTD system, but that's decades into the future so it's anyone's guess at this point. I've actually considered running for CO state legislature with the key objective of pushing to expand mass transit throughout the state like that.

RTD is only allowed to operate where voters approve it. Since it is a "special tax district", this means voting for higher sales taxes. Castle Rock voted themselves out of the RTD district and keep voting to stay out. No light rail can go from Denver to Colorado Springs until that outlet mall in Castle Rock is part of the tax district and they want to keep their sales tax lower for the outlet mall.

Also, the state car dealer association puts a lot of funding into killing RTD's plans to expand.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Look, I understand this. You understand this. How the gently caress do you effectively communicate this to the commercial establishment owner in a downtown that their business is dying because of too much parking and not enough residents immediately surrounding their location, without them just bitching about the weather?
I tried this when I ran for elected office - telling the downtown business alliance that they were wasting their money subsidizing stores to move downtown. It did not go over well.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Rooftop parking is a bit unusual because it requires the building to be able to support the weight of all the vehicles and that structure isn't cheap or unobtrusive. Rules of thumb for the cost of a structured parking space seem to start out around $15,000 and increase significantly as you go up or down. Multi-level subterranean parking can be over three times as expensive and is impossible in places with a high water table. Surface level parking is closer to $5,000 a space which is why it's so ubiquitous but some of that is driven by inordinately high parking requirements.
When budgeting for FasTracks, RTD was budgeting $20k/stall for parking garages and $800/stall for slab parking lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread