Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
I discovered this thread last evening and quickly read through a lot of it, although I'll admit not all. I live in Denver within two miles of work and bike, which has given me a new appreciation for urban design. I love cycling to work, but the stretch of Colfax around the Bluebird is a pain to deal with.

I've been on Strong Towns per a link in here. It has a lot of interesting ideas I haven't been privy to. I'm wondering if people have other sites they use to stay up to date on policies, philosophies, etc in regard to transit? I mean this for general stuff and also for Denver specifically. I'd love to learn more, especially as this topic intersects with my beliefs about social justice and environmentalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
http://denver.streetsblog.org/2016/11/15/some-streets-will-get-a-guerrilla-safety-makeover-with-the-citys-blessing/

The city is going to let residents modify some streets in safer, more pedestrian/bike friendly routes. Hopefully this helps show that the improvements we need aren't crackpot expensive things and just smart minor changes.

They're not going to pay for any of it, though.

Edit: ignore the dead link. I'm hoping it's still true as I know of some areas on my bike commute that could use some guerrilla action

its no big deal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 16, 2016

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There we go, thanks.

That sounds pretty cool, as I'm all in favor of whatever makes this city more pedestrian- and bike-friendly. However, there's a part of the article that mentions the projects won't actually receive any funds from the city, just help in navigating regulations and whatnot; That stuck out to me because Denver's City Council approved the 2017 city budget on Monday, and one of the biggest missing elements was funds for sidewalk repair. Apparently we have a sidewalk problem "valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars across the city".

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/14/denver-city-council-budget-vote/

Yup, they're putting the onus and cost directly on residents, which seems there modus operandi. On the part of Colfax near the Bluebird, the sidewalk has a bunch of ash trees that need to be treated against a type of bug (I think). The city is requiring that the store owners with trees in their boundaries either treat them or remove them. This is even the case despite the store owners not putting the trees in. I'm hazy on details, as I've only heard snippets from my boss.

There seems to be a trend of "analyze city problems, outsource solutions without paying for them" going on here.

• Locked thread