Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Trip report from Denver: I'm car-free / car-light and live about 50 miles from the Airport. Last April our new airport train opened, so I took the scenic route when I had a flight and went an hour out of my way to ride it (its route is perfect for Denverites but I'm a bit to the side). Beautiful train, quick route, lots of riders even in its second week, and lots of TOD already springing up on its 4(?) new stops. Great stuff, enough said about that.

A few days ago I had another flight so I took my usual airport bus. When we left my stop the PA announces the next stop as the airport, and I realize the new train has absorbed the three tedious stops on this particular bus line and we were going to take a straight shot to the airport. This cuts the time by 1/3 or more (no small thing if you know how distant our airport is), and it beats car trips now when parking is factored! What an unexpected and pleasant surprise to start a dreary trip with!

I posted this to highlight that transit in the US isn't doomed, not even out here in the western sprawl, and that good things will happen once the city commits to funding transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

its no big deal posted:

I discovered this thread last evening and quickly read through a lot of it, although I'll admit not all. I live in Denver within two miles of work and bike, which has given me a new appreciation for urban design. I love cycling to work, but the stretch of Colfax around the Bluebird is a pain to deal with.

I've been on Strong Towns per a link in here. It has a lot of interesting ideas I haven't been privy to. I'm wondering if people have other sites they use to stay up to date on policies, philosophies, etc in regard to transit? I mean this for general stuff and also for Denver specifically. I'd love to learn more, especially as this topic intersects with my beliefs about social justice and environmentalism.

Here's one that I follow for Denver specifically: http://denverinfill.com

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Trains update: https://twitter.com/yungsenpai__/status/790201351082999808

• Locked thread