Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Neon Belly posted:

The DC City Council put out a resolution calling on Metro to restore late-night rail service when the system-wide reconstruction program ends next spring. Metro claims they need the extra time for maintenance.

How do other two track systems handle 24-hour service? Do they just close down lines periodically overnight?

The DC Metro has never run 24 hours; "late night" means "until 1 or 2 on weekends." That's it.

As for other systems: Other systems usually have an extra track. The DC Metro, in their wisdom, was built with only the two tracks along every line. So most systems, when they need to do maintenance on a section of track, can just route trains around it. DC has to single-track past any maintenance, meaning it shouldn't be done during the day, and absolutely can't be done during rush hour. So, they do all the maintenance they can in the middle of the night, between closing (midnight) and opening (5am). Considering how much time it takes to just get equipment set up and taken down, they get maybe 3 hours of actual work done in a given night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread