Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Probably the only comparative to the NYC Subway is the London Underground. The way the upgrades there were handled was with a rolling programme of signalling and control upgrades with rolling stock upgrades taking place simultaneously. You can test the system in normal running by having the upgraded trains follow in shadow mode like a really decent soak test.

Once you've renewed all your stock you switch over to the new system and decommission the old. Pretty much entirely implemented on night and weekend closures.

PS I am the OP of the British trainchat thread so thanks for the shout out and great info on North American railways railroads and metros!

Bozza fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Warcabbit posted:

Pleasure to meet you. The major difference between the two is the London Underground shuts down after midnight, I believe. NYC doesn't sleep.

Which does mean we're a bit hosed. That's the problem with massive infrastructure. Repairing it is killer. The only way I could see to do it would be some sort of parasitic piggyback control set that could be A/B tested and both run at once during the conversion process.

...I honestly thought that was just a song. How on earth is maintenance done without a period of shutdown?

Afraid my knowledge of most metro control systems is a bit lacking compared to my mainline but still, you'd probably have to design, build and test externally in a warehouse somewhere then just do short busts of installation (axle counters instead of track circuits etc so they don't interfere) piecemeal until the whole thing can just be correspondence tested. I'd imagine it'd take you a year of installation to get one route installed like that without weekend shut downs.

Still need to invest in a huge amount of rolling stock, not sure how captive the fleets are in NY compared to the Tube where each line has its own discreet stock.

Basically you're planning 10 years into the future at least from both a fleet and control perspective, so I can see why that won't find favour with elected officials.

• Locked thread