Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I don't think Metrocards count as "paper tickets," they're made out of some kind of cheap plastic.

As for the L, it's doing fine. It used to be in very poor repair but they have gotten huge amounts of federal money to fix it up, turns out having the President be from Chicago helps with that. They actually just signed an order for new trains that should replace the last egregiously ancient trains in service. Service is frequent and generally reliable. It is 24 hour on some lines but crime is an issue late at night.

The main challenge now is that the North Side lines are at full capacity and a 100-year-old interlocking needs to be rebuilt to increase it. That'll probably cost a billion dollars when all is said and done and NIMBY issues are inevitable since they are talking about building a huge flyover ramp in a upper middle class white neighborhood.

As far as expansion they are working on extending the Red Line to the far South Side and also some new infill stations have been built. The system's coverage is good, turns out expanding transit instead of ripping it out in the 60s and 70s was a good move, but a circle line is definitely needed. There are plans for that but they never seem to amount to much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

You mean Milwaukee, right?

Parents don't want the BRT because it will make walking to school more dangerous, somehow. Just teach your dumbass kids not to walk in front of a loving bus.
I think he might be referring to this dumb pseudo-BRT setup that Chicago just rolled out downtown and didn't do much to improve anything:

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2015/12/23/why-are-loop-link-buses-moving-so-slow-and-will-they-get-faster/

quote:

That sounded far-fetched, so after I returned to the platform at Washington and State, I spoke with a CTA supervisor who was serving as an air traffic controller for buses, waving the drivers in towards the platform. He told me that the drivers are, in fact, instructed to drive 1 mph alongside the stations, because the raised platform means that people who stand in the dark gray, textured area near the platform edge are in danger of being struck in the head by the buses’ rearview mirrors.
Not that upgrades weren't needed, but calling it BRT was a huge mistake - now when real BRT is proposed (which Chicago could use some of) people will associate it with this project and assume it's a waste of money.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Curvature of Earth posted:

In the immediate term, yes. In the long term, traffic goes down (or stabilizes in a growing city) because BRT, by definition, is good enough to replace a substantial number of previously car-only trips along its designated route, thus getting more cars off the road. In fact, if you just want traffic to go down without having to spend money on improving alternative transit systems, one of the most effective ways is to remove lanes and replace them with nothing, because induced demand is a thing, and it's surprisingly easy to reverse.

Dedicated lanes were successfully implemented in Los Angeles, Cleveland, and Eugene. If the problems you describe persist, then it's a Chicago issue, not a BRT issue. It's worked fine in most other places.
This pseudo-BRT only runs for like 10 blocks in the city center, it's just a bus lane with upgraded stops. The goal is basically to permit increased bus service because buses are completely packed and bunching like crazy during rush hours.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The private system in Singapore isn't really private, both the transit operators are owned by the government.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chicago's bus service is miles better than DC Metrobus actually. I've experienced both.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

People around DC were pretty upset when the new Silver Line was elevated through what amounts to a car-focused exurb, Tyson's Corner, as a cost saving measure. Not really sure why it's such a fuss - it already exists pretty much exclusively in the median of a 12-lane road.

To say that "people" were upset would be an overstatement, it's more like one developer was upset and funded an astroturf campaign against it.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

:co:7 Our little big city has finally joined the illustrious ranks of "Cities with good public transit to the airport"
Congrats you beat NYC and Los Angeles!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Those ones are way too expensive for actual working class people to live in, much like everything else in the cities.
I'm pretty sure that's not the case even in NYC, plenty of inexpensive NJ suburbs have good transit to the city. Definitely not the case in Chicago.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hopefully President Hillary will federalize WMATA so it'll be run like it should have been in the first place.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

It's amazing what companies will agree to fund if they need you badly enough.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

It's not a system with 24-hour service, and that's not what they are being asked to return to. I was just curious because they claim that they need the extra time for maintenance, but there are viable systems that appear to work well with less allotted time.
WMATA appears to be uniquely bad at maintenance. There are various hypotheses about why, some of which are essentially racist (the unionized workforce is something like 95% black) but there does seem to be something unusual afoot. For one thing, the local transit union appears to be a real life example of those terrible evil government employee unions that conservatives love to rant about.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Right but it's not even a funding thing, they seem to be uniquely incompetent and
unproductive. For example, the stories about FTA inspectors being purposely locked out of Metro's control center.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Metro needs to be nationalized and the operations put out for private sector bidding. Let's get MTR from HK or SMRT from Singapore to deal with it. Bust up the union too, Metro's ATU local is a real live example of those "bad unions" that right wingers insist exist everywhere.

Stockholm's metro has been run by MTR for years, this isn't some pie in the sky proposal.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

HorseLord posted:

none are 100% free that I know of, but as of the last time I checked the price of riding the Minsk Metro is about $0.22. That's an unlimited journey, across as many trains as you want until you leave the system. If you get a monthly pass then it's so cheap the price means nothing. This is of course remnant of the soviet planned economy so you can never reproduce something like this.
The Mexico City Metro costs about 25 cents.

• Locked thread