Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Columbus, Ohio has won a total of $140 million in grants from the U.S. Department of Transportation's Smart City Challenge!

This is also an excellent opportunity for tech companies like Alphabet to begin circling around the freshly acquired funds. The Guardian offers a look inside what their urban planning division, Sidewalk Labs, has been up to, and while like usual they're sounding the alarm about Those Dangerous Tech Companies! their plan to shift people onto ride-sharing services does seem...suspect.

Columbus resident checking in!

While this is awesome, and is mainly a reflection us of being the largest metropolitan area in the US without any rail service, I do have my doubts regarding the self driving car paradigm. I hope it works out but it is yet untested.

I would really love a commuter rail system and it would make my life so much easier.

There have been numerous pipe dream rail proposals as well as advocacy groups for a while now trying to stem state investment in mass transit systems but they have gone no where. My personal favorite is this one:

However that will never happen.

Due to trends in population in the Ohio region, creating a feasible and more often utilized mass transit system is becoming increasingly important. Franklin county and surrounding areas are projecting to grow in large amounts while the older cities of Cleveland and Cincinatti are seeing migration. https://development.ohio.gov/files/research/P6095.pdf

The city is quite sprawled out making mass transit a challenging issue and rail development along busy corridors (i.e. High street) would be extremely expensive, so it is not an easy task to take on.

The city is starting a BRT program soon from downtown north to the Polaris area along the Cleveland Avenue corridor and I am interested in seeing how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread