Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
St. Louis Metrolink:

You can kind of see where the white people in the county said "NOPE!" to expansion and the train just sorta curves back in towards the city. The Brentwood I-64 stop opened when I was in high school and suburbanites still haven't stopped blaming it for petty crime in the area. it doesn't help that Metro around here gets saddled with a dual mandate for being not only mass transit but also transit of last resort for poor minorities in north st. louis. The Hanley, Wellston, and Rock Road stops are all in North St. Louis county, which is currently experiencing white flight 2.0 as people flee the first generation of highway suburbs for another one right across the Missouri river. The media loves lurid tales of white riders getting beaten or robbed at those stops.

One ray of sunshine: The fact that the NGA will stay in St. Louis in a north city site means that they might fund a north-south metrolink line in the city. I always thought it was somewhat ridiculous to have two lines where most of the stops overlap when the dominant axis of the city (north-south) remains unserved except by bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

I'm also pretty sure people are less likely to try to fight the ticket since it will show a photograph of the offender in their vehicle, with the license plate in full view.

They're actually unconstitutional and easy as gently caress to fight. People basically ran interference for as long as possible here until the missouri supreme court banned them for violating a bunch of amendments.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moinkmaster posted:

As an unironic and serious question: What amendments do they end up violating? Like, I am trying to think here, and all the usual suspects don't seem to apply in a wholly public space, with publicly visible plates and windows that you'd have no reasonable expectation of not being seen through.

The cameras here only captured plates so they would send you a letter in the mail asking you if you were the driver along with the ticket. If you marked "no" they'd send you another letter asking you to point the finger at the real driver, which is a 5th amendment violation against self recrimination.

That and the inability to confront accusers tanked the cameras here. There will probably be a ballot proposal in the future sponsored by rurals to ban them since they hate people like MIGF on a cultural level.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

Those ones are way too expensive for actual working class people to live in, much like everything else in the cities.

It depends on how badly white flight blew up a city. Detroit/St. Louis tier cities actually have extremely cheap urban real estate with the wealth being concentrated in the formerly whites only suburbs. It's far more expensive to rent an apartment in the automobile suburbs here (the white ones at least) than it would be to rent one in the city.

• Locked thread