Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:ca:

The San Francisco Bay Area has some of the best motorcycle riding in the country. Hundreds of miles of twisting mountain and coastal roads within minutes of the cities, pretty much perfect weather year-round, and legal lane splitting? Combined with the usually insane traffic in the urban areas, it's no surprise that there are a ton of motorcyclists in the Bay Area. And with that large population comes a lot of really cool stuff! Lots of good motorcycle shops and stores, a generally friendly attitude to riders in the area (if cars notice you splitting, many will move over to give you room) and the occasional awesome rare bike on the road. Yeah, there are a lot of guys wearing vintage helmets on barely-broken-in Ducatis, and middle-aged tech managers on Ewan McGregor Specials. But for every ten of those, you'll spot something weird and wonderful like the old couple riding down to Half Moon Bay on matching GB500s, or the guy in a Dainese one-piece suit carving up the Great Highway on a Zuma 125.

There have been a few Bay Area threads before, but right now they've all fallen into the archives. Here's the ultima edizione. Please post pictures of your favorite cup of cold-brew coffee on your favorite model of Ducati and/or the current state of your CB350 cafe racer project -- I know you've got them.

Videos (many shamelessly stolen from previous threads)

A decent showing of some roads in the area, complete with socked-in Golden Gate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRVAfbD_6k

Note young techie motorcycle of choice: Ducati Monster with upside-down mirrors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dciknKdmg

One of the great rides on the peninsula, down through the Big Basin redwoods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EISRoiRBITw

Another one of my personal favorites for a weekend blast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjaTJoAYrNY

A little slower and more hidden, but beautiful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-xnX1l7FY

Oh, I guess this kind of stuff happens too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jRcK-XVLE

and how could we forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbzrTn2g0c

Nice Rides (please describe your favorite rides and I'll add them to the OP)

Obviously, this is only a small fraction of the awesome roads out here. No matter where you are in the Bay Area, you'll probably have half a dozen smooth, winding roads within a half hour's ride. If you're willing to go a little further out -- say, up past Napa or down south towards Monterey, or as far west as the Sierra Nevada -- the list is endless. These are some of my personal favorites.

Keep in mind that every beautiful twisty road out here is likely to include at least one of the three major Bay Area hazards: (1) sand and gravel patches, (2) packs of road cyclists, or (3) terrified/gawking tourists driving 5 miles per hour. Ride your own ride, don't outride your sight lines, and when you do pass cyclists or cars, do it graciously and safely.

:c: Hwy 9 through the Big Basin Redwoods map
Beautiful scenery, not usually that much traffic, good road that you can ride smoothly. There's an alternate route around here on Hwy 236, which goes through the park itself; this is much tighter and very dramatic, but some of the turns will slow you to a crawl, and there's a high chance of finding a snail-mode tourist van with no passing possible for several minutes. At certain times of the year there's also likely to be water/sand/branches/boulders on the road. So caveat emptor.

:c: Skyline Blvd/Hwy 35 area map
A smooth, beautiful and popular ride -- and includes one of the several "Skyline Boulevards" in the Bay Area. My particular favorite loop starts off Hwy 92 between San Mateo and Half Moon Bay. At the top of the crest in 92, turn south and ride for 13 miles until the junction with Hwy 84 at Alice's Restaurant. This intersection is always popular with motorcyclists and car enthusiasts, so every weekend you can find all kinds of neat stuff parked out front while people eat (good food, too. Get the Le Mans burger). From Alice's, turn west towards San Gregorio to get back towards the ocean. Reach a T-junction and head north on Highway 1 for a few miles (passing one of the best vistas in the area) until Tunitas Creek road. Take this winding 2/1-lane road up through some beautiful stately redwood groves until you get back on Skyline heading north. Alternately, once you reach Alice's, you can head south towards highway 9 as described above, or go east for a quick trip back into the city and the highways. Beware: on weekends, Hwy 92 leading up to the start of this ride is packed with beachgoers trying to get to Half Moon Bay from the valley cities. Look out for patches of running water on the road in the spring, especially near the upper part of Tunitas Creek.

:c: Mt. Hamilton through Mines Rd. map
One of my personal favorite rides. Start in San Jose on Alum Rock Avenue and ride the Mt. Hamilton road on 20-30 miles of gorgeous twisty climb through ranchland up to the top of the mountain. Hang out at the observatory at the top and look all the way down to the north end of the bay. When you're done, head down the back side of the mountain and continue through totally different looking terrain (much drier and scrubbier) until you hit the San Antonio Valley. Cruise up Mines Road into Livermore for a total of about 65 miles of rising and falling two-lane twisties. Hazards include gravel and sand on the roads, road cyclists (especially on weekends) on the way up the mountain, and the occasional cow, so ride easy and enjoy the view. There's a small cafe/pit stop called The Junction about halfway through where you can get food (e: currently closed for renovations) but there's no gas for the entire ride, so fill up before you leave.

:c: San Pablo Loop map
A pretty ride with a mix of scenery that puts you back where you started at the end. Get up to the top of Grizzly Peak (a great view in itself) and find Tilden Regional Park. Take Wildcat Canyon, Bear Creek, Alhambra Valley and the San Pablo Dam road in a big loop around the San Pablo Reservoir. Lots of ranchland and cows, good quality road surfaces, not a whole lot of cars, but plenty of cyclists. You can turn east instead of west on Alhambra Valley and end up near Walnut Creek after some more nice lowland stuff. This area leads to a ton of other options; for instance, hook down south on Grizzly Peak afterwards to get to the next ride.

:c: Grizzly Peak to Hayward map
Awesome chain of roads that get you from Berkeley to Hayward and back without ever seeing more than two lanes. One section of this is another Bay Area "Skyline Boulevard." The surfaces here are excellent and I've found you can usually keep up a good pace, with lots of open sightlines and well-planned curves. There are usually a lot of motorcyclists out and about on weekends, but I've also run into a surprising number of slow-moving cars full of gawkers. You can get to some segment of this chain from basically anywhere along I-580.

:c: Muir Woods / Stinson Beach / Mt. Tam map
A great ride that's not too long, but with so many things to stop and do along the way that you can easily make a day of it. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and get off at the Mill Valley exit, then follow the signs down the winding roads towards Muir Woods. Check out the big trees if you like. The Pelican Inn just down the road is an English pub and guesthouse where you can grab fish and chips and a Guinness iced tea (don't drink and ride). Continue along the coast to Stinson Beach and get the swordfish tacos. From there you can head up to Mt. Tamalpais, which has a great view of the entire bay area from the peak. Ride back down the Panoramic Highway and get back to Mill Valley. If you explore the area, you'll also find the Pt. Bonita lighthouse, and hidden in the bushes is Nike Site SF-88L, a cold-war era nuclear surface-to-air missile site that's been restored and gives free tours. On weekends, veterans will be there to run the machinery and raise the missiles in and out of the ground. Cool stuff. Tons of tourists on these roads on any popular day, but ride your bike to Muir Woods and you'll feel super smug about getting to park in the free motorcycle parking right next to the gate while everyone else has to park in the weeds and walk a mile down the road because the lot is full.

:c: Ridgecrest to Fairfax map
This is one of my other absolute favorite roads in the area, but the caveat is that it may or may not be closed halfway through, and I haven't figured out the schedule or logic for it yet. Go up Mt. Tam and instead of going to the peak, head west along Ridgecrest for one of the cleanest, smoothest roads with the best view in the whole area. Eventually you'll come into the forest and there will be a fork, and maybe a gate shutting it off. If the gate is open, head east down a rather nasty bumpy road for a few minutes until you hit the bottom, and then ride along a pristine alpine lake on more smooth, totally empty roads all the way into Fairfax. If you're up for more, take Sir Francis Drake north towards Point Reyes, Bodega Bay, and the Russian River. A+ would ride again any time the way is clear.

:d: Skaggs Springs Road / Stewarts Point to Geyserville. map
Z3n: Golden Gate -> 1N to Stewart's Point, right on Skaggs Springs to Healdsburg then hop on the 101S to River Road/Highway 116, which hits 1 again, take 1S to the Panoramic Highway for variety, and then back to home. Note that Skaggs Springs is every type of road in one road.
NeuralSpark: Fill up in Stewarts Point, 'cause it's 43 miles of nothing but scenery and no cell service. I was contemplating spending the night camped out underneath the Shadow in this picture until a kindly farmer siphoned the gas out of his lawn mower and gave it to me.

:d: Route 20 thru Jackson State Forest map
M42: one of the more sublime roads I've ridden up there. Usually completely empty, perfect pavement, just smooth as gently caress. Gawd drat I miss CA.

:d: Drive-thru tree map
SeamusMcPhisticuffs: Another great ride is to go all the way up 101 to Legget and the Drive-Thru Tree, then down Highway 1 to Fort Bragg/ Navarro to 128 back down to 101.

Local Wildlife: where are you and what do you ride? (will update continuously)

Sagebrush is in San Francisco and rides an '88 Hawk GT and a '71 CL350.
pokie is in Santa Clara and rides a '14 Kawasaki Ninja 300.
cursedshitbox is currently in Concord and rides a old heavily modified DRZ.
NeuralSpark is in San Francisco and Cupertino, and rides a Ducati Monster 796 (no inverted mirrors) and a BMW R1200RT.
SeamusMcPhisticuffs is in Ukiah and rides an F800GS.
Z3n is in the East Bay and rides an S1000XR

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Near lake berryessa is some good dualsport/supermoto roads too.
Totally up for some weekend knoxville OHV rides.

CSB is currently in Concord and rides a old heavily modified DRZ

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Stewarts Point to Geyserville:
https://goo.gl/maps/qUfi5XEo1DF2

Fill up in Stewarts Point, 'cause it's 43 miles of nothing but scenery and no cell service. I was contemplating spending the night camped out underneath the Shadow in this picture until a kindly farmer siphoned the gas out of his lawn mower and gave it to me. :(

NeuralSpark is in San Francisco and Cupertino, and rides a Ducati Monster 796 (no inverted mirrors) and a BMW R1200RT. Up for whatever, and have access to a "cabin" out near Yosemite that sleeps 22. I'm up on Skyline most Saturdays being a hooligan.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 1, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I are going to be in SF later this month for a weekend. Will be car-less.

What's a good bet for renting/borrowing a couple scoots for a day? Would not mind dualsporting around.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the effort post, Sagebrush. As a long time Bay Area resident and a new biker I appreciate it.

pokie is in Santa Clara and rides a '14 Kawasaki Ninja 300.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

My wife and I are going to be in SF later this month for a weekend. Will be car-less.

What's a good bet for renting/borrowing a couple scoots for a day? Would not mind dualsporting around.

Dubbelju is the place I hear talked about the most. I've never rented a motorcycle, but I've ridden by their place many times and they seem like an upright outfit. Depending on your budget and preference you can rent anything from a Sportster to a KTM 1190.

I was down at Alice's once and ran into a German tourist who'd rented a Harley. Chatted to him for a while. "Ah yes, the Harley-Davidson! Yes, you see, I had wanted to rent something much more, sporting? Much faster? Like the Ducati or the Suzuki. But they had no more! So I got the Harley-Davidson and it is...very bad. It is so heavy! And then you lean (imitates leaning motion) the foot, BOXES, the foot boxes (makes *kssshhshshskskk* sound) do you know? Ah, it is very comfortable though. But not a sports bike."

Speaking of which, I rode down to Alice's today (did the #2 loop I posted in the OP). Great ride and scenery, as usual; colder than expected up top, as usual (I should really get used to this); got stuck behind a car doing literally 15mph on the 40mph Hwy 92 on the way in, as usual.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Also vouch for dubbleju.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Friend of mine rented a Monster from Dubbleju on a trip we took together, was super easy and the bike was in great shape.

DEUCE is in East Oakland and rides a DRZ400SM (for now, hopefully not for much longer)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

[Speaking of which, I rode down to Alice's today (did the #2 loop I posted in the OP). Great ride and scenery, as usual; colder than expected up top, as usual (I should really get used to this); got stuck behind a car doing literally 15mph on the 40mph Hwy 92 on the way in, as usual.

Was it a Prius? It's always a Prius for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Surprisingly no! This time it was a 20-year-old beat to poo poo Corolla . The driver even stopped for a green arrow at the bottom of the hill to yield for other cars, who had a red. Some people just really shouldn't be on the road.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

"Only blue group licenses are allowed on this road"

If anyone is scooting around in northern cali (not norcal), route 20 thru jackson state forest is one of the more sublime roads I've ridden up there. Usually completely empty, perfect pavement, just smooth as gently caress. Gawd drat I miss CA.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

M42 posted:

"Only blue group licenses are allowed on this road"

If anyone is scooting around in northern cali (not norcal), route 20 thru jackson state forest is one of the more sublime roads I've ridden up there. Usually completely empty, perfect pavement, just smooth as gently caress. Gawd drat I miss CA.

I'm up in Ukiah, moving to Santa Rosa hopefully next month. This road is great, but on a nice weekend it's pretty packed, and there's a lot of big rigs on it as well. Another great ride is to go all the way up 101 to Legget and the Drive-Thru Tree, then down Highway 1 to Fort Bragg/ Navarro to 128 back down to 101.

My go-mobile is an F800GS.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Took tomorrow off to head north up 1, and wander around on the BMW. Going to attempt to make Fort Bragg but will probably call it somewhere around Point Arena.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I was just on Skaggs Springs road yesterday, you should do that loop. Golden Gate -> 1N to Stewart's Point, right on Skaggs Springs to Healdsburg then hop on the 101S to River Road/Highway 116, which hits 1 again, take 1S to the Panoramic Highway for variety, and then back to home.

Edit: Note that Skaggs Springs is every type of road in one road.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2016

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Nice Rides (please describe your favorite rides and I'll add them to the OP)

This is a great idea and I'm going to steal it for the DC thread OP :cool:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh I guess Z3n is in the East Bay and rides an S1000XR

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NeuralSpark posted:

Took tomorrow off to head north up 1, and wander around on the BMW. Going to attempt to make Fort Bragg but will probably call it somewhere around Point Arena.

Take pictures and post a report!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I will motherfucking vouch for the grizzly peak

What an amazing goddamed road.

ElMaligno is assumed to live on the San Leandro on the east bay and rides a lawnmower a BMW F700GS

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do you Drake's? Now I want a Denoginizer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clutchpuck posted:

Do you Drake's? Now I want a Denoginizer.

I don't but I could to meet you weirdoes

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I live 800 miles away :(

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Pop quiz hotshots...

If one were to transplant to the bay area, and one was an avid motorsickle-ist and wanted to have such things like a garage (or at least be able to rent one nearby), what is the best spot in the region for that? I know that will depend on a million factors but say just because it's a typical case it should not be totally ghetto or out in the sticks and would be commutable to SF by moto reasonably.

Bonus: do bay area vs southern california vs ...?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Infinotize posted:

Pop quiz hotshots...

If one were to transplant to the bay area, and one was an avid motorsickle-ist and wanted to have such things like a garage (or at least be able to rent one nearby), what is the best spot in the region for that? I know that will depend on a million factors but say just because it's a typical case it should not be totally ghetto or out in the sticks and would be commutable to SF by moto reasonably.

East Bay

North Cali VS Bay Vs SOCAL. I kinda see the bay as the belly button of california.

Edit: Im planing a trip to Yosemiti later this summer, should I motorcycle camp or be a chump and stay at hotels????

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Pop quiz hotshots...

East Bay/North Bay, depending on what your job situation is. If you're north bay, you're really close to sonoma/thunderhill/nice north bay offroad, but your commute will probably be a bit balls. Eastbay is great if you need reasonably affordable housing, and as long as you're reasonably close to a freeway you'll be fine (24 is the best commute into the city freeway, IMO, but prices are higher around that freeway). SF is good if you're going moto only and work a job that pays enough for 3k a month rent + moto storage fees.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm balls rear end far out in concord and have a moto related shop in alameda that I wrench on my junk at. Commutes 30-80 minutes at peak commute depending on traffic. (concord to SF and vise versa)

I'm a hippy that lives in a bus so I can't really give you many data points on price.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a nice trip to Boulder Creek from Saratoga today. A fly got into my helmet right after 9 & 35 intersection. That was good times. On the way back there were 4 or so cops hanging out on the stretch between that intersection and Saratoga. A kindly biker warned me about them with a helmet tapping gesture (is that standard practice?), but I am a noob and wasn't speeding anyway. Excellent road overall, but I will pack some cloth and cleaning fluid for the helmet shield next time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've gotten the helmet-tapping signal a number of times and also used it myself on occasion. I didn't always find a cop down the road every time someone signaled it, but I think that's the commonly accepted meaning. The other one I use a lot is pointing down at the road surface as I pass someone to warn them about a hazard ahead (gravel, pothole, branch, etc).

ElMaligno posted:

East Bay

North Cali VS Bay Vs SOCAL. I kinda see the bay as the belly button of california.

Edit: Im planing a trip to Yosemiti later this summer, should I motorcycle camp or be a chump and stay at hotels????

Definitely camp! All the time! Not only is it way more badass, but even in high season it's like $5-10 a night for a groomed campsite with potable water and an outhouse somewhere, or $20 for a place with showers and electricity and toilets and a general store. But if you want to stay in Yosemite, you need to register your campsite now -- if any are even still available. They fill up almost as soon as the registration opens. Luckily there are a bunch of state and national campsites not far from either entrance to the park, and the park pass is good for 7 days after you buy it, so you can spend a couple of days there if you like. I use recreation.gov for most camp sites...I think Yosemite has its own system.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Definitely camp! All the time! Not only is it way more badass, but even in high season it's like $5-10 a night for a groomed campsite with potable water and an outhouse somewhere, or $20 for a place with showers and electricity and toilets and a general store. But if you want to stay in Yosemite, you need to register your campsite now -- if any are even still available. They fill up almost as soon as the registration opens. Luckily there are a bunch of state and national campsites not far from either entrance to the park, and the park pass is good for 7 days after you buy it, so you can spend a couple of days there if you like. I use recreation.gov for most camp sites...I think Yosemite has its own system.

The only things stopping me are that I don't have any camping gear or experience. But those are easy to solve.

The main thing is that my current helmet gives me about an hour of driving time before it gets kinda uncomfortable. Two and it gets really loving baaad. :(

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ElMaligno posted:

The only things stopping me are that I don't have any camping gear or experience. But those are easy to solve.

The main thing is that my current helmet gives me about an hour of driving time before it gets kinda uncomfortable. Two and it gets really loving baaad. :(

Just make frequent stops. It's 3-4 hours drive, shouldn't be impossible. Camping isn't hard as long as you can cook ok with a gas stove or whatnot. It might be a good idea to look up how to make one out of a can or buy one. Then again there are probably good bike camping guides out there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

If you can go an hour without needing to get gas then you're riding wrong. :unsmigghh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
*drops zrx into first gear and does 70mph up the grapevine with ground glass for oil and a sandpaper filter*

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thanks guys, I have been looking at lists and it seems buying the camping essentials wont be as expensive as I thought. Getting the peripherals might make it more expensive. My GIVI topcase should arrive next week and instead of going for broke, I think I may go try my camping feet at Mt. Diablo.

Also since I have lost a lot of weight and my formerly nice fitting leather jacket/pants now fit like garbage I am in the market for a new jacket and pants. I may as well go ham and get an ADV 4 season jacket just to complete the look. :negative:
I might cheapen out and get some Fly Street poo poo, it should complement the Shoei helmet nicely.

Chichevache posted:

If you can go an hour without needing to get gas then you're riding wrong. :unsmigghh:

My ZRX gets #DIV/0! MPG, my F700GS has been getting 50 MPG pretty consistently and I drive at 80-90 MPH on the 580.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can get some used gray beard ball sweat gear to save some bucks. Aerostich gear holds together well.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Trip report!

Route: https://goo.gl/maps/tTQuZvzYwHU2

I got started a little later than I had wanted because I forgot to set an alarm. I'd been expecting to be on the road by 7:30, but didn't actually get moving until almost 9:30. Oops. I had also planned on bringing my Canon 6D setup but got lazy leaving the house, so I've only got cellphone pictures from the day. I'd not been this far north on a day that was sunny so having color to look at while riding was a nice change, as the plant life along the way is all still green and the sun made the ocean lovely shades of blue. The weather out by the coast was perfect; the bike registered 70F to 80F the whole way. Once I crossed over mountains and started down to Boonville it got up into the 90s and made me regret my black leather jacket.

"Loading" up the rolling couch. I took a hoodie to put on under my jacket "just in case". It never left the side bag.

Obligatory GG Bridge shot sent to all my relatives:

Handlebar selfie

Seeing Tomales Bay Oyster Company with an empty parking lot was strange since it's always overflowing on the weekends. I always forget how empty it gets north of Bodega Bay and past Jenner.

Cattle grate, but I've never seen any cows on the road.

Stewarts Point shot for Z3n

Lunch in Point Arena around 1:30. The sandwich from the cafe at the south end of town was pretty good, and only $6.50.

A few miles past Point Arena I took a right onto Mountain View Rd, which goes 27 miles over the mountain to Boonville. The first 12ish miles up the mountain was nicely paved, empty, and an all-around amazing ride. The back 15 miles down the mountain had rough road in a few places, but not terrible enough for concern. There was evidence of some logging in places, but I didn't encounter any trucks. I took my boots off and climbed down to the river in the picture and walked around some to cool off. That felt great as the bike was registering 95F.

Once I got into Boonville, I took 128 down to Cloverdale and hopped on 101-S and headed home. 128 was a nice ride as well, but not as empty.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 7, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clutchpuck posted:

You can get some used gray beard ball sweat gear to save some bucks. Aerostich gear holds together well.

A quick search has revealed nothing on my size. On the flipside I found a nice AGV Sport 4 Season jacket for sale over at revzilla. The catch?

I kinda want it, but at the same time there is another jacket I want that is hi-vis red and would totes look better with my bike. Im a 32 year old man ugh :negative:

NeuralSpark posted:

Trip report!

Kinda took a similar route when I bought the bike, I want from Santa Rosa to Sebastapool to the Coast and then down the CA-1 and back home. it was a cool ride.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Hi-viz is cool. Considering how poo poo the drivers are here I'll take any improvement in visibility I can get.

edit: Currently playing the waiting game with my EBMUD sewer lateral deposit refund, and the exact bike I want to get is available. I'm certain it's going to sell a day before I get the check.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 8, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well I got the hi-vis jacket #YOSO

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I love riding around in this area so much. I ride up highway 9 to 35 to Alice's and back really often. Southbay, white FZ-07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Sagebrush posted:

:ca:

My particular favorite loop starts off Hwy 92 between San Mateo and Half Moon Bay. At the top of the crest in 92, turn south and ride for 13 miles until the junction with Hwy 84 at Alice's Restaurant.

For the longest time I could not figure out why you guys were crazy about Chinese food. This now makes much more sense.

http://www.alicesrestaurantsf.com/Welcome.html