Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
sure! they've got pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bummed I'm out of town this weekend. Awkward conversation pauses is what I excel at.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Bummed I'm out of town this weekend. Awkward conversation pauses is what I excel at.

Don't worry, we'll stop by your grazing grounds and take some photos.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Perfect!

In other news, the loop around Hawk Hill would be so good if it wasn't full of rangers and tourists.

The descent down the backside is such a trip.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

dema posted:

Perfect!

In other news, the loop around Hawk Hill would be so good if it wasn't full of rangers and tourists.

The descent down the backside is such a trip.

Interesting. I have not gone there yet. I have only biked in Marin like 5 times so far. I imagine it's alright very early in the morning.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm going to be in Oakland all of October for job training and I'm getting a car rental budget but I figure ill rent a bike for at least some of the time - is there anything other than riders share and eagle rider? I'm leaning towards eagle since it's not just renting random bikes that may be questionably reliable.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Voltage posted:

I'm going to be in Oakland all of October for job training and I'm getting a car rental budget but I figure ill rent a bike for at least some of the time - is there anything other than riders share and eagle rider? I'm leaning towards eagle since it's not just renting random bikes that may be questionably reliable.

I had a coworker rent an HD through EagleRider in SF and they gave him a busted up Road King. Rear brake that wouldn't grab due to low fluid in the reservoir, lovely suspension that bottomed out, stuff like that. Not having ridden a Harley myself, I assume they aren't supposed to be like that but make sure you give it good look at it before riding off.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Voltage posted:

If you are not a dick you can borrow my Wr250x.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
There's also dubbelju in the city. They'll even set you up with artisanal, hand-crafted locally sourced tour routes taped to the tank.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you don't get a goon hookup just go to dubbelju, I've rented from them a couple of times and they are gud

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

pokie posted:

If you are not a dick you can borrow my Wr250x.

That would be amazing - email me allidoistype at gmail dot com

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Voltage posted:

That would be amazing - email me allidoistype at gmail dot com

OK, I emailed you just now.

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
ICYMI: goon ride tomorrow, gather at Alice's, 9AM. At least one internet weirdo will be there. #vanlife

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Skyline and Alice's on a weekday is pretty decent.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Skyline and Alice's on a weekday is pretty decent.

A buddy and I do breakfast there some Friday mornings, and it's a much nicer experience.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

NeuralSpark posted:

A buddy and I do breakfast there some Friday mornings, and it's a much nicer experience.

Seconded. I’ll hit up Alice’s on the (long) way to work on occasional weekday mornings for breakfast. It’s a terrific way to start the day.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hey folx. I found a free bike, lightly used.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Hey folx. I found a free bike, lightly used.

Can you take those pics down? Insurance hasn't paid out yet.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

Can you take those pics down? Insurance hasn't paid out yet.

I don't know what your problem is, maaan. The kickstarter still turns over and everything. It's a fine vehicle!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went up to Shaver Lake in the Sierras with fellow goon Mental Contempt.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

I went up to Shaver Lake in the Sierras with fellow goon Mental Contempt.

Nice! Looking at the map, did you do a loop on Tollhouse Rd and Huntington Lake Rd?

I had to take care of some family stuff up by Chico this weekend. Went on my bike and took the fun way home. Love the roads around Lake Berryessa.

PSA; it's Fall and we have reduced traction when it's cold and damp.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nah, we turned around at this lake due to time concerns.

Beryessa rules. What happened to the duc?

And yeah I lost some rear wheel traction recently - posted a vid in the questions thread.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Low sided in what's a little bit deceiving of a corner. I think it's decreasing radius and that's not super obvious at first glance.

Cold, wet and ran out of skill.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Berryessa run with Pokie earlier this week

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need to get the gently caress out of the midwest

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I need to get the gently caress out of the midwest

Yep.

Alice's was pretty busy for a soggy Wednesday. Threw a friend on my 950 and took the wr out.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

PSA; it was 70F+ around Lake Berryessa today. Perfect conditions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where's the BBQ from? Looks awesome.

Also is the glory hole still wet? :biglips:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Buster's in Calistoga. Didn't make it to the Glory Hole, which is a bummer. This is roughly the route we did, as an out and back:

google maps link

dema fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 17, 2019

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Jesus that Ape is gorgeous.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hello, I suppose I'll introduce myself. I am new and slow but down to go for a ride if anyone else is :shobon: I'm in SF, so mostly sticking to the peninsula for now, trying to avoid the freeways.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Toe Rag posted:

Hello, I suppose I'll introduce myself. I am new and slow but down to go for a ride if anyone else is :shobon: I'm in SF, so mostly sticking to the peninsula for now, trying to avoid the freeways.

Freeways are your friend. Avoid the city streets.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Twisty two-lane country roads are your friend. Highways are your boring acquaintance at work who annoys you sometimes but is mostly harmless. City streets are the meth addict who bangs on your door at 11 p.m. to angrily yell at you because someone told them you insulted their mother

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Toe Rag posted:

Feel free to bug me for next weekend. I am in San Jose but don't mind coming up and showing you some roads.

pokie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 6, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My primary concern with the freeways was more my ability to effectively scan, panic brake, and/or swerve at 65-80mph. My bike is also big on drag and low on power; it can manage, but freeway speeds aren't its strength. I did a little freeway riding recently. 101 and 280 were mostly fine, but 380 east is a shitshow. :wth: I think I'll avoid that one going forward. Two cars merged into me/my lane without looking in less than 2 miles? I was kind of expecting it to be not great, but it exceeded expectations.

Anyway, went on a good ride with pokie the other morning. Here is a picture.

Before we set off we talked about which roads to ride on. I had mentioned Stage Rd is nice but I had only driven it, as I recall it being fairly gravely and was too scared on my bike. Then on Highway 9 we ran into a several mile long patch that had been freshly milled and was covered in gravel :unsmith:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

pokie is a good n cool duder

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thank.
On 380 you have to know in which lane to stay to avoid the most merges. E.g. going from 280n to 101n, stay in the rightmost on-ramp lane.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

hello west coast denizens... I'm going to be visiting my brother in SF next march and renting a couple motorcycles for the trip. Is there a local recommended business? I see there's eaglerider which actually has some variety and nice prices. There's also motoquest and dubbelju but their cheap bikes are 2x the price.

Both of us have extensive experience on SV650s and we're not looking to rent something with a lot more power or a drastically different riding position. Specifically eyeing the $50/day MT-07 rental from eaglerider.

Any horror stories or recommendations from any of these? Is there somewhere else we should be considering?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wouldn’t pay 2x prices, but when a friend visited me last year he rented a Versys for the day from dubbelju and as far as I know it was an easy process and a good bike. That’s probably not very helpful information, but it’s what I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

ought ten posted:

I wouldn’t pay 2x prices, but when a friend visited me last year he rented a Versys for the day from dubbelju and as far as I know it was an easy process and a good bike. That’s probably not very helpful information, but it’s what I know.

Cool, thanks for the input. The more expensive rental outfits have more exotic and interesting bikes, but not worth the added cost for us. We'll roll the dice and see how eagle rider ends up.