Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

mrlego posted:

For the longest time I could not figure out why you guys were crazy about Chinese food. This now makes much more sense.

http://www.alicesrestaurantsf.com/Welcome.html

I used to live a few blocks from this place. gently caress, I miss that neighborhood. Still haven't found a good "regular" take-out chinese food near me in Oakland, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

mrlego posted:

This now makes much more sense.

IMO the food at Alice's on Skyline isn't great; it's just a place to go.

EDIT'ed for opinion. Also the service is slow to the point of almost unacceptable.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 4, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

I love riding around in this area so much. I ride up highway 9 to 35 to Alice's and back really often. Southbay, white FZ-07

I do this all the time too and am based in San Jose area. Still a noob, but it's so much fun.

Btw, have any of you been down Page Mill road south of 280? It feels way twistier than the segment of 9 between Saratoga and 35.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

I do this all the time too and am based in San Jose area. Still a noob, but it's so much fun.

Btw, have any of you been down Page Mill road south of 280? It feels way twistier than the segment of 9 between Saratoga and 35.

I have!

In a car. :negative: I need to fix my radiator so I can hit it on the bike. I started commuting exclusively on 280 just because the view is so much more beautiful than 101. gently caress an extra 15 minutes on my commute.

What kind of bike are you on? I'm also in San Jose.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Chichevache posted:

I have!

In a car. :negative: I need to fix my radiator so I can hit it on the bike. I started commuting exclusively on 280 just because the view is so much more beautiful than 101. gently caress an extra 15 minutes on my commute.

What kind of bike are you on? I'm also in San Jose.

Yeah, I drove there in my car and thought it could be fun on a bike. I also only go on 280 when going north - 101 always has a crash or something stalling traffic.

I am a noob with a ninja 300. We could go on a ride sometime if you are ok with someone going relatively slow - I only go over the limit by 10mph or so on 9/35 etc.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Yeah, I drove there in my car and thought it could be fun on a bike. I also only go on 280 when going north - 101 always has a crash or something stalling traffic.

I am a noob with a ninja 300. We could go on a ride sometime if you are ok with someone going relatively slow - I only go over the limit by 10mph or so on 9/35 etc.

Yeah, I'd be up for a ride when I'm back on two wheels. And I'm definitely able to have fun going sane speeds. Sometimes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Motorcycle camping update: Got a top case for the bike and the camping gear. Planning on camping on lake Chabot and Henry Cove park.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo
Add me to the list:

Hammers is in San Jose and rides a '14 Ninja 300 :getin:

I've only been riding for 2 months though, mostly commuting between San Jose and Mountain View every day on 101. I love riding so far but I'm ready for something a little less gutless. SV650 or FZ07 probably.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
You want it, you're probably not ready.

I'm on 101 between SJ and San Mateo most days. What color is your ninja?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

I've only been riding for 2 months though, mostly commuting between San Jose and Mountain View every day on 101. I love riding so far but I'm ready for something a little less gutless. SV650 or FZ07 probably.

I have the same bike, same year and all. How fast do you go on the stretch of 9 between Saratoga and 35? I feel like I am not ready for a bigger bike until I have pretty great control there.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Is there any interest in organizing a bay area goon ride one weekend? I've got 0 experience over in the east bay, and up for tooling around over there to learn the fun roads.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'd be down so hard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Someone let me borrow a bike. I swear I'll be careful.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Someone let me borrow a bike. I swear I'll be careful.

You aren't getting anyfuckingwhere near my drz.

that said, smallish groups I'm alright with. a bunch of goons is prob okay too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I can show your around all the local srarbucks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

I can show your around all the local srarbucks.

What kind of Italian bikes do you rideown?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chichevache posted:

What kind of Italian bikes do you rideown?

sorry but the make of my bike was an actual participant of wwii and not an honorary one.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

pokie posted:

I have the same bike, same year and all. How fast do you go on the stretch of 9 between Saratoga and 35? I feel like I am not ready for a bigger bike until I have pretty great control there.

I'm 95% just commuting, so I want a bike that can get up to speed more easily because some of these short freeway merges are sketchy as fvck.

Hammers fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 12, 2016

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

Chichevache posted:

You want it, you're probably not ready.

I'm on 101 between SJ and San Mateo most days. What color is your ninja?

Bright green, like most other Ninja 300s:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hammers posted:

get up to speed more easily because some of these short freeway merges are sketchy as fvck.

Literally my justification for getting a Fiesta ST as my cage

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I live off of 92 at the Ralston exit so Alice's is basically my backyard! I'll occasionally wake up early and do a quick 92 to 35 to Alice's to 84 back to 280 loop before heading to work. There are some super awesome hairpins on that part of 84 and also my friend and I discovered it's possible to coast all the way down to where it meets Portola/Woodside Road with the bike off and in neutral if you don't touch the brakes. Hilarious middle of the night silent racing down that stretch has happened before.

Down to ride (slowish) with some goons.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

I'm 95% just commuting, so I want a bike that can get up to speed more easily because some of these short freeway merges are sketchy as fvck.

I never found the acceleration lacking. Sure it's no serious sports bike, but it's got 0-60 of 5 seconds or so. But, hey, whatever helps with your peace of mind. I just got a new job offer and am thinking of jumping to a liter bike...

NeuralSpark posted:

Is there any interest in organizing a bay area goon ride one weekend? I've got 0 experience over in the east bay, and up for tooling around over there to learn the fun roads.

Sure, I would be up for it.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

Finally made it up HWY 9 yesterday:

I went around 12:30 or so and the road was mostly empty. There were a couple of drivers unwilling to move out of the way but that's what the passing sections are for, right? :v: I might upload the footage later so ya'll can scrutinize my riding and call me names

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hammers posted:

Finally made it up HWY 9 yesterday:

I went around 12:30 or so and the road was mostly empty. There were a couple of drivers unwilling to move out of the way but that's what the passing sections are for, right? :v: I might upload the footage later so ya'll can scrutinize my riding and call me names

Did you meet the horrific tumor on the way up about 8 turns from the top

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuh3bJ2aDLo&t=41s (0:43 ish)

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 18, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

Did you meet the horrific tumor on the way up about 8 turns from the top

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuh3bJ2aDLo&t=41s (0:43 ish)

Oh yeah, I know and love this guy. I drive there several times a week for practice, and hit it may be once - didn't even notice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I made it up Mt Hamilton for the third time today. It seems to get colder every time I go even though summer is getting closer. The top was entirely in a cloud. This time I went further east and up Mines Rd instead of heading back. The descent is a bit iffy on account of uneven road surface and gravel patches, but the going gets easy afterward.

Next on the list is Calaveras Rd.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just came back from Mt Diablo, took a lot of pictures. So here are the 4 you guys are interested in.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^Nice BMW.

I crashed my Ninja 300 yesterday on Pinehurst Rd going south. I was following my experienced buddy and trying to go too fast (perhaps 25 mph) into the turn in that link. I was trying for a late apex going close to a center line but could not steer enough to stay in my lane. I pushed and leaned more to get back into my lane, and the bike fell in a lowside crash. My gear saved my rear end, or most of it anyway, while the bike went down the cliff at the second white marker past the guard rail. There is a steep cliff down there full of car carcasses and discarded furniture. Miraculously the bike stopped the descent about 10 ft below the road and tow truck was able to get it out. Only real damage was the broken panel that holds the right foot peg and brake lever.

Pics:

The angle makes it hard to see how steep it is

But you can see it here after the bike has been dragged up a few feet.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry to hear about your crash pokie. Could have been worse, but I guess it could have been better too :v:.

pokie posted:

Only real damage was the broken panel that holds the right foot peg and brake lever.

I broke that thing too, I dropped my bike the first day I had it by going into a deep pothole at the corner of Mckee and White in San Jose.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50aa3866f8700226a4146639/footrests

The part number is 35063A . I think it took me about 15 minutes to change it out.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hammers posted:

Sorry to hear about your crash pokie. Could have been worse, but I guess it could have been better too :v:.

I broke that thing too, I dropped my bike the first day I had it by going into a deep pothole at the corner of Mckee and White in San Jose.

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/50aa3866f8700226a4146639/footrests

The part number is 35063A . I think it took me about 15 minutes to change it out.

It was a good learning experience. In retrospect unless I braked before entering the turn, there was no better outcome - I don't think there was enough space to straighten out and brake, for example.

Yup that's the one. I am considering whether to replace the fairings too... That will cost way more, obviously.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sorry to hear about your crash pokie, glad you weren't hurt.

btw protip for anyone heading out, this is a great way of checking how foggy it is on the top of both sides of the valley: https://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

Where's a good place in the south bay to get some new tires installed? Riding straight down the highway every day has taken it's toll :(

Hammers fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 4, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hammers posted:

Where's a good place in the south bay to get some new tires installed? Riding straight down the highway every day has taken it's toll :(

I bought mine at road rider. Had them installed at Sport Tech. This is all in San Jose on Monterey road.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Hammers posted:

The shell station at 280 & Saratoga has a motorcycle tire machine and does it for like $10 or something. Check BARF for details. I used it for my TL1000S.

I'm in San Jose and the above TL, an R100GS, a Seca 650 (rat) and a Goldwing (even rattier). Though I commuted on the Goldwing to Pleasanton today, so I guess it's a functional rat?

I used to live 100 yards from Alice's (and grew up there earlier in life). 84 and 35 are just the best; no news there. I do miss the day of wearing out the shoulders of my tires before the center.

From San Jose; since I have a family, I'm forced to do short rides when I can.

Stuff I've done recently:
- Almaden -> Alamitos -> Hicks -> Camden is a lot of fun, short, and very steep.
- Almaden -> McKean -> Uvas -> Watsonville rd -> 152 -> Watsonville is a good longer run
- Monterey Rd-> east on Metcalfe -> various dead ends, then Silver Creek once you get bored. There's a jet/rocket testing range there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Is your Goldwing green? Does it have an aftermarket horn?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Is your Goldwing green? Does it have an aftermarket horn?

Nope, it's brown and lighter brown. Is there any other color for an '82 Aspencade? Someday I'll take all the crumbling fairings and bags off of it. It's the most plastic coated bike in the world.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Trip report!

I rode Sagebrush's Mt. Hamilton loop from the OP, and it was a nice ride. Hot as hell once past the observatory, but nice anyway. The road surface going down the backside of themountain on 130 was rough in places; I felt the front slide a few times. I had my 6D w/ 24-70 II with me today and took a few pictures.

Side bag open, camera bag fit perfectly:

New desktop picture:

Pano from Lick Observatory:

Larger 11k by 3k version of this here: http://thisis.tips/hamiltonRide/20160619-IMG_5204-Pano-Full.jpg

The road up the hill:

"This would be a great place to bring my dro...oh :( "

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I did that a couple of weeks back, before the lowside crash - it's a fun road, but the way down is sketchy as hell, at least for someone of my experience level. I don't think I exceeded 15 mph. I just got back from a trip down 9 and 92 to 1 and back - picked up some cheap fruit at the end. 9 is still nice and cool, compared to the city scape anyway.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
How did I not see this thread before!? This is fantastic, I've been looking for some other rides in the area. The mount Tam loop is my go to ride, and the peak on ridgecrest is my place of Zen when I need to think. Started riding in January and I'm looking to take full day or 2 day trips heading north or south. Recommendations??

Pikey rides an SV650 in San Francisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone headed to WSBK at Laguna Seca? I'm going to be riding down and camping at the track.